Crazy Builds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyanide Jello

As some of you will find out I have a crazy imagination and a love for s10s... Has anyone ever invisioned a new vehicle looking old? In other words, take a new vehicle, chop it up and make it look ratty? I've thought bout taking s10s and cuttin em up and makin em look ratty... Second gens would be awesome to work with... I'd like to just get a cab and a frame and an old square bed off of something or make one and drop a sbc in it, etc etc etc... If you got a crazy build lets hear it...

Crazy Enough?

This is what I have waiting in the driveway for me.

And this is what I want to do with it.

I bought it, with this end result in mind. :cool: Sniper

Attachments

• IM000479.jpg
    IM000479.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Ranger Wannabe #1.jpg
    Ranger Wannabe #1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 78
racer93: Re; Ford Ranger, actually I was going to reply that it was a recycled Dodge:D, but I didn't want to offend the Mopar guys.;) The drawing came in a recent Rod and Custom magazine if I remember correctly.

Black Magic: Yep, I think it will be fun. I have never tried anything of this magnitude before, so when the smoke and sparks clear, I hope it will look respectable, and not like a joke, or cartoon. I really want to pull this off in the worst way. And yes, there will be pictures, whether the results are good or bad.

Cyanide Jello: Ok, you got the ball rolling on this one, whatcha got up your sleeve? Come on now...spill.:):) Sniper

Cyanide Jello: Ok, you got the ball rolling on this one, whatcha got up your sleeve? Come on now...spill.:):) Sniper

Lmao nothin yet... This project won't take place till I have my own garage and can throw parts every where... Up my sleeve... I'd like to take either a first gen s10 or a second gen s10 and take it down to just the cab and frame and drop in a SBC on a narrowed frame built out of 2x4 tubing w/ a suicided front end a 30s or 40s grille and round headlights... Chop top the cab, 5 in the front and 4 in the back and MAYBE section the body an inch or 2 (inch in above the body line and an inch below the body line) and of course a traditional 3.75" body drop enough to even the frame with the bottom of the cab... Then like I said, find or build an old box bed w/ cherry wood flooring... Throw on some smoothies and white walls...

If I can't do the narrowed frame w/ a suicide front end (b/c it HAS to have air ride) I'm just gonna leave the frame alone, maybe shorten it between the control arms and the front of the frame... Or bring the whole front suspension forward...

I dunno... My mind runs as fast as a freight train goin by so I always have crazy crap goin through my head... But its deffinately somethin I want to do in the future...

As long as you can do it so it doesn't look like a chopped up S10. I've seen too many attemps at making a S10 rat rods that have turned into a POS that looks like a chopped up S10.

Your on the right track with using a different frame. S10 frames are great for full fendered cars. Open wheel cars don't do it!

I have seen some great looking vehicles using an S10 cab for a base but it has to done right are its just a POS.

As long as you can do it so it doesn't look like a chopped up S10. I've seen too many attemps at making a S10 rat rods that have turned into a POS that looks like a chopped up S10.

Your on the right track with using a different frame. S10 frames are great for full fendered cars. Open wheel cars don't do it!

I have seen some great looking vehicles using an S10 cab for a base but it has to done right are its just a POS.

Well, I want people to see that its still and s10 but I want people to guess that its an s10... Does that make sense?

I wasn't wanting to use a different frame, I just wanted to play with geometry of the frame... If I build it, it must be on air... If its on air, it must drag... If it drags, it must throw sparks...

I've seen your S10 and you did a nice job on it and it has good workmanship and some style.

This is what I'm talking about. Friends don't let friends build these.:eek:

Attachments

• 006z.jpg
    006z.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 59
Thank you, I appreciate that...

Yea, you'r going basically the direction I would want to go... It looks like you got a good start on it... Keep up the good work!

Might need a photoshopped picture to get this crazy idea across(or bad idea, depending on how you look at it). Take a early 40's bubble fender 4 door and section the body as far as possible without touching the fenders so the fenders ride higher on the body. So the hood would set lower between the fenders. With old heavy truck 19" rims and military tires. 4x4 and bags for extra lift might be a plus.

Also would like to get one of those mobile home movers. Early 60's Ford or Chevy version. Drop the cab down to pickup height, but leave the big duallies right behind the cab, bobber style.

The junkyard I visit regularly has a Yugo in decent shape. I keep thinking it would be pretty neat as a rear wheel drive sleeper with some kind of turbo 4 cyl and a 5 speed and independent rear suspension. Maybe a turbo Thunderbird donor car. Fun to take to the Autocross events, eh?

Might need a photoshopped picture to get this crazy idea across(or bad idea, depending on how you look at it). Take a early 40's bubble fender 4 door and section the body as far as possible without touching the fenders so the fenders ride higher on the body. So the hood would set lower between the fenders. With old heavy truck 19" rims and military tires. 4x4 and bags for extra lift might be a plus.

Also would like to get one of those mobile home movers. Early 60's Ford or Chevy version. Drop the cab down to pickup height, but leave the big duallies right behind the cab, bobber style.

I'm tryin to picture it... basically you want a monster truck?

like this?

Is this what you have in mind?

440shorty

P.S. That ain't no small block chevy in there!

Attachments

• Rear3QMar.jpg
    Rear3QMar.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Turkey 014.jpg
    Turkey 014.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 43
  • leavingPA2.jpg
    leavingPA2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 16
  • EarlyRearView.jpg
    EarlyRearView.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 18
  • TheLookNoEngLeft1.jpg
    TheLookNoEngLeft1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 39
Yea, thats the idea... But with a newer body style s10... They're more rounded and get that old skool look acrossed better... Can I make a creative suggestion on yours?

Latest posts

Back