Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about the height issue with the garage door. Assuming the reason you need it open is to be able to run the frame out from under the body. Would it help to just open it say the height of the first section (so you can still get the frame out under the door)? When I pulled the body off of my 46 Plymouth, we had two drive shafts laying in the cradles of three trusses (24" center) front & rear, so the chain hoists could be attached higher, but I reckon that's not the problem, rather just the door itself. Is your shop ceiling less than 8 feet?

Floor to bottom of the trusses is 8 feet exactly Neto.
I have lifted and flipped over 18 foot wooden boats in this shop so lifting isn’t a problem.
The main reason I’m pulling the tires is so I don’t have to go so higher as to clear them.
Plus this way I should be able to move the frame sideways to get it out from under. Then I will put the tires back on and roll it out . I have done the half shut door before though.
Torchie

3b6c34de9e11c2ff.jpg

good luck on the dak!

After a rough start this morning, I stumbled....er, bounced back and got out to the shop.
Did a bit of strategic welding to make sure nothing move and then pulled the rear wheels.
At this point there are 2 bolts that I know of that are still holding the body to the rear of the frame.
I will see if I can get them out tomorrow, if not i will have to wait for reinforcements.
Thanks for looking in on me.......
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 22
Won't be long now and that chassis will be unbolted and out.
[P

Got the last 2 body mount bolts out today and moved the car into position for lift off.
I was going to lift it myself today , but given the way I have been feeling for the last 2 days I decided to heed my wife's good advice and wait for help on the morrow.:)
Will most likely be doing the partial garage door opening that Neto mentioned a few posts back. Unless a better idea comes to me in my sleep.[ddd
Also... I may have located a local source for a 1st Gen Dakota long bed. I will know more about that tomorrow as well.
Keep on keeping on.....
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 12
I'll spend all day cleaning my shop... door open, sun shining, stereo blasting, drink a beer or six or eight... then, the wind shifts and the bloody leaves blow in. :mad:

Give us a good look at the frame when it's separated, Torchie. I'm curious to see how good or bad it is...

P.S. I hope you land the Dakota and it suits your purpose.

Sure glad you are being cautious.
Thanks bob.
I don't always appear that way, but it's calculated to keep the tourists at bay.[ddd

I'll spend all day cleaning my shop... door open, sun shining, stereo blasting, drink a beer or six or eight... then, the wind shifts and the bloody leaves blow in. :mad:

Give us a good look at the frame when it's separated, Torchie. I'm curious to see how good or bad it is...

P.S. I hope you land the Dakota and it suits your purpose.

Same here Doc.
The guy that built the place orientated it wrong as far as I'm concerned. The prevailing breeze hits the ends of the trailer. Except when I open the garage door and the leaves blow in.[ddd
I keep them raked away in case I'm welding.
Pics of the frame for sure. I know that most of the ears for the body mounts are bad and that front cross member where it connects with the side rail.
We shall see about the rest.
Turns out the Dakota is from one of the Auto parts store my one dependable friend is a District manager for.
He was going to take me to look at the other one I found but brought this one up in passing. They took it out of service and sold it cheaply to the local yard.
We are gong to go see if it's still there and check the frame on it.
More tomorrow....
Torchie

Houston. We have lift off.....[ddd
All of this took about 1 hour. Could have been a bit faster but the young dog helping the old dog felt the need to question everything the old dog said ........LOL
I got a jack under the spare tire well and lifted up the rear of the body to get the strap under it.
I hooked the front lift chain to the lower door hinges and dropped the chain fall down through the windshield opening.
Pulled the frame backwards under the partially opened door and put the rear tires back on. Pulled the frame the rest of the way through and put on the front tires.
Support beams down. Door opened. Body shell on the carts.
to be continued.......
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-11.jpg
    2-11.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 2-10.jpg
    2-10.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
This frame is shot.:eek: :eek:
Lots of holes on the underside as well as the cheese cloth rear cross brace and out riggers.
Made a futile trip to the local yard where we could not locate the final resting place of the rumored Dakota long bed or Jimmy Hoffa.:D ;) [ddd
This place put's the "Junk" in junk yards.
That's all for now.
Time to rest.
Thanks for visiting......
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 27
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 28
That's a lot of bull work for a guy who's supposed to be taking it easy! I hope you are feeling ok. I see what you mean about the frame being shot, wow is it ever rotten! Thanks for keeping us inspired, but don't over do it!

well, on the other hand, imagine the symphony of whistles that would delight children as you drove past with the original frame! [cl

From one old dog to another, great job on the lift-off. [cl
That frame is down right scary looking. How are the floors in the body.

That's a lot of bull work for a guy who's supposed to be taking it easy! I hope you are feeling ok. I see what you mean about the frame being shot, wow is it ever rotten! Thanks for keeping us inspired, but don't over do it!

Tomorrow will tell Bill. I don't get help very often so when I do I get as much done as I can.

well, on the other hand, imagine the symphony of whistles that would delight children as you drove past with the original frame! [cl
[ddd [ddd [ddd

From one old dog to another, great job on the lift-off. [cl
That frame is down right scary looking. How are the floors in the body.
Floors are repairable Skip.
Main floor rot is on the DS as usual. That's going to take a new rocker I suspect. As well as the lower quarter panel area right between the B pillar and the rear wheel well opening.
Somebody already did some cobbled up repair that is causing some issues I will go into at a later time.
The big holes are on the bottom side of the frame rails. On the DS.
Thanks for the comments gang....
Tired out, Torchie. :)

Torchie, take the rest of the day off. Good work though.
Please don't throw that old frame away just yet. I would like to buy the PS front wheel assembly from you. I need a backing plate and almost new drum. I'll have to find out if I need the 11" or the 10" one. I also need a dog bone that goes between the end of the sway bar and maybe the bottom A frame. These pieces will go on a '46 Dodge coupe.
Keep up the good work.

Torchie, take the rest of the day off. Good work though.
Please don't throw that old frame away just yet. I would like to buy the PS front wheel assembly from you. I need a backing plate and almost new drum. I'll have to find out if I need the 11" or the 10" one. I also need a dog bone that goes between the end of the sway bar and maybe the bottom A frame. These pieces will go on a '46 Dodge coupe.
Keep up the good work.

No worries Mac. It's not going anywhere yet. I'll need it for measurements at least.
I believe the Dodges were 11' and the Plymouths were 10". Don't quote me though.
Torchie

Good work old dog. I know about body removal, my young dog was 98 lbs 5'3" she worked hard but but not alot of lift pwr.:p
You might want two days rest[S
Take care [cl

Latest posts

Back