Customizations you don't understand

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the worst thing my bride-to-be can say about a guy is
he drives a girl car!

when she says it
it aint good.

I follow you to a point. That point being dependant on finished car/trucks level of "goodness" ;)

There's a nice local '34 coupe, quasi trailer queen/ local cruise nighter that's a strange candy lavender with ridiculously excessive white roll & tuck interior. It seems like it should be a Barbie & Ken toy more than a street rod. it's so sugar plum sweet you could get diabetes looking at it.

Don't get me wrong the guy's mechanical work is well done. There's just no "edge" to it. When I see a good example of a Rat Rod/Retro Hot Rod I expect to see Jr. Johnson behind the wheel NOT Winne the Pooh. ;)

BTW
i read your post to my gal and she cracked up[cl

$$$$ten thousand dollars worth of stereo/disc/mp players/ sound systems/video stuff in a $5OO.OO car:eek:

Later:cool:

Or in any car. There's a 98 Blazer around here with a ridiculous audio system in it. The rest of the truck is custom painted and well done, but it's still a '98 Blazer with a stupid audio system.

Saw a new Range Rover (85K+) with the full "Safari" package, bumper guards, light guards, roof rack, nurf bars.

And you just know that vehicle has never been off a paved road in it's life. I guess it's important to be prepared for anything when you're in the remote, desolate end of the Mall parking lot. :rolleyes:

It sure is funny how many options some people will put in a new car just to look big shot.:eek:
And in 10 years it will be just another old computer car that leaves you on side of road.
I have been driving a non computer 1982 longbed chevy pickup with a 250 6 engine for 20 years and now my brother has to borrow it to go to his night job because his late model van just shuts off for no reason ,and will not crank up until he has it towed.Then it fires right up.It is driving him nuts.:confused:
He has a very nice 1981 ford shortbed stepside with a knocking motor.He should put in shortblock and bring it back out of mothballs. It will still crank right up.It has no computer,just one of those HEI distributors they make for fords.

Saw a new Range Rover (85K+) with the full "Safari" package, bumper guards, light guards, roof rack, nurf bars.

And you just know that vehicle has never been off a paved road in it's life. I guess it's important to be prepared for anything when you're in the remote, desolate end of the Mall parking lot. :rolleyes:

They are ready for the zombie apocalypse ;)

Nice car/truck wrong part of the country. Just as silly as a 4x4 in LA or NYC is a pavement creeper in the midwest.

I'm in ChicagoLand I alway get a big smirk when I see a low rider or slammed, import. With our winters and the mega-tons of salt we dump on our roads we have have pot holes that will disembowel a car at OEM height.

A few years back I saw a BMW carcass on I-355. A landshark of a pothole bit off the driver side front tire/wheel and unidentifiable front suspension parts.

sure is interesting to hear about all the things people don't like about customs, or customization of cars...

yall ready for my list?

I don't care for those overly critical of someone else's ride; now don't get me wrong, I have LOTS of things I don't understand that people do to their cars (probably never will[S) but when a man walks up to someone else's ride and becomes a jerk about not liking this, that, or the other thing the owner has done to it...(safety factors excluded) well the complainer, no matter how talented he may be, no matter how nice his ride is, well, that complainer just lost all credibility with me... the thing is we may not "get" the "why" but can't we appreciate the work? even the pic of the twisted regal someone posted has a lot of detail work that I can appreciate and admire...tho I wouldn't want to trade my 46 ford truck for it, I respect it because of the work...

ok... I also hate "dice" or "custom" valve stem caps... ;)

rock on rat rodders, rock on...

Hey I know a man just like you described ,, What ever he does is superb , and no-one can do better . What ever you do is ,, why? or that's dumb !!!! or that's wrong !!!!! Sometimes its best ( if you can't say something nice ....Shut Up !!! :D

To over compensate for have a small male member, true everywhere, not just Cali. Tucks also known as teenyweenus trucks and pavement pounders.

At a stop light one day, I looked over at a shiny street F150 with a decal
on the side of the bed - "4x2 ON ROAD" I had to appreciate the parody.

To over compensate for have a small male member, true everywhere, not just Cali. Tucks also known as teenyweenus trucks and pavement pounders.

Uhoh
My daily driver is a one ton dually turbo diesel
I drive a tough looking ratrod
And I love big honking caliber hand cannons....
I better not tell the bad news to my bride to be.

In my 'old fart' perspective, a custom is the kind of cars I saw in the first car mags from the 50's, customized 30's, 40's and 50's cars , though primarily 50's. To put it in perspective, guys then were taking new or near new cars and customizing them. And this was in a time when major chrome trim, huge bumpers, fins, quad headlights, multi color paint jobs and more were spewing from the OEMS at a fantastic rate. These guys were doing it without all the fancy tools and materials we take for granted now - imagine doing major body work now with oxy/acetylene torches, hacksaw, hammers and no bondo etc., etc.
Not that all work was beautiful or well conceived / executed - I have my dislikes like everyone - canted quad headlights, goofy fish mouth grilles, dummy spots, weird tail lights - plenty of mods were and still are done for the sake of modifying it rather than improving the look.
Every generation has a different idea of what looks right depending on what they were exposed to growing up - personally, I envy the old guys who grew up in the early days of hot rodding when you could pick up a 30's car for 50 bucks and hit the road.
I don't like to poop on specific people for building fugly customs but 'ol George Barris has been responsible for building or having a hand in some pretty 'out there' designs that offend my eyes, but that's just my personal view.
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder....

this

the spinner wheels,

Later:cool:

Attachments

• Bling-Bling.jpg
    Bling-Bling.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 26
  • Cool-Car-Gif.jpg
    Cool-Car-Gif.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 18
I like the idea of spinner wheels, it's just the wheels they use usually are gaud-awful and the cars they're on usually aren't much better. I could see a custom with 50's Caddy spinner hubcaps looking cool.

Latest posts

Back