"Dark Sarcasm"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe,
No you are not picturing it wrong. I plan to drill some of it this weekend and see how it all looks. All joking aside, with that material being as thick as it is, I doubt seriously it will need re-enforcement.
But just to be on the safe side, I invited someone over here to join us. He is a member @ www.67-72chevytrucks.com, and works for K.P.Components in central Cali. and does this on a daily basis.
The biggest question mark I have is about "Chassis Deflection". Other than that, I might run the occasional "Trash Run" or have to help someone move a refridgerator or washing machine. Other than that it is going to be a street truck.

that 67-72 trucks is a cool web-site, i've been lurking on the 60-66 section for a while and they all seem like nice enough guys.

That place is huge Joe.
I just sortta stay in the suspension area. There are some very nice trucks over there too. Lottsa money in them and lottsa expert knowledge on that site as well.
The first time I logged in, I about blew me away.

One of the guys from the truck site lives here in Montgomery and just offered to let me make use of his plasma cutter where he works. He don't work too far from me. That is Poeple helping people right there.

Never had that happen before...WOW... There is hope for mankind after all.

I just got finished (an hour or so ago), I met the guy from the chevy truck board and got all the metal cut the way I wanted it. When I logged in a few minutes ago, I noticed that he had registered here as well. His username is OnetonK5.

It was really nice to meet him, super nice guy and i really think he will be an asset to RRR.

Thanks for all the help K5.

Got out in the shop a while ago and cleaned up all the slag with the grinder, sortta make it all nice and purdy...Not gonna post any pics mainly cause it is just a mirror image of what is already posted. I may post pics tomorrow with the tape measure up against the metal so You can see exactly how thick it really is.

That is some beefy stuff right there, I tell you wut.....:D

Luck just is NOT on my side today....

I'm posting pics of the Notch that I cut with the grinder and also one that Myself and "OnetonK5" cut yesterday. If you have never don anything like this it might look good. If you have done this before, it will immediately become painfully obvious that I made a "Stew Pidazz" mistake.

Typical ME gettin in a hurry trying to get something done. The good side is that I can still use what I have....So all is not lost.....

The second pic is what I going to use to make the flip kit with....

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 23
I wanted to get some pics of the metal with a tape measure up to it. I took em, they didn't turn out very good at all...But I will post them anyway. The material I'm using measures 1/2 in (where it goes on top of the frame) by 5/8 thick (on the side of the frame rail). I went ahead and put the notch up on the frame and snapped a front and rear pic and notices that the contour was almost a perfect match.

Here are the pics.....

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 21
I think you are talking about post #151, didn't forget anything just wasn't paying attention. Both C-notch pieces were supposed to be the same for both sides. That is where I screwed up at. But it is OK, I can still use that piece.(I think it is "Beefy" enuff)

Sorry bout that, I'm still with ya Flatster. After you bolt those notch plates into place, are you going trim your chassis with your wheel, or the plasma?

Oh and just for inspiration, I've been saving this pic for ya. I guess now is as good a time as any to post it. I know it's the wrong body style but it just reminded me of "Dark Sarcasm", so I saved it. Here ya go..........

so after you cut the frame is there just gonna be that half inch piece on the top holding the frame together or will there be something to reinforce that piece..........i dont think im seeing the end product in my head:D:D

Gastrick,
Thanks for the pic. I love them old chevy's. Never had one that body style though.

Motomech,
My plan was to bolt it all in place before I cut the frame. I was planning on that being the end product. I'm always up for more info, If you don't think it is going to be strong enough please let me know. I have two more pieces. I can reenforce both sides with another piece of half inch stock if you think it might be needed. I just kinda thought it would be overkill.....

Let me know what you think..

shooting this out real qucik while i'm at work :D, you should box the other side of the frame, with a notch of course. The box along with a 1/2" plate across the top should be more then enough. i think since you already have it all apart a little more welding wont hurt anything.

Latest posts

Back