"Dark Sarcasm"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got soo aggrivated one day last week, A friend came over to pick up something from the back corner of my garrage so we had to move the bed to my truck. No big deal right, backed the truck up to the door to sit it on the chassis and found out that I can't use the lowering shackles that I already installed. Now I gotta put the old ones back on in order to keep everything below the bed of the truck. I hate havin to do things more than once to get them right. Just goes to show, I have not done my homework at all on this project. No big deal really. I just hate doing the same thing twice.

On the other side of things, I'm STILL cuttin on that slab of metal I'm makin the C-notch kit out of. Had to use almost 3 cut off wheel to make one good cut. (Maybe "Overkill" wasn't such a good idea anyway.)

More picks commin soon

don't sweat it dude, it usually takes me three times to get anything right, on top of that i usually take so long to finish something that i change my mind a hundred times before it's done. If it makes you feel better, i worked on my exhaust for over two hours last night and accomplished almost nothing.

FB,
I musta missed something, but I was wondering why you just didn’t use a flip-kit to lower the rear of your truck?

Jeff

Chop 509,
I am going to make a flip kit for the rear as well. I'm makin the C-notch kit for the added suspension travel. I had a 1982 long fleet when I was in highschool that I didn't do right and it rode like a goatwagon. Told myself I wasn't going to do that again.

Flatster, can you post a pic of why your shackles won't work? I've got some lowered spring hangers you can have but I have to check and see if they fit your application. I have to dig through my junk Sat. to find them.

I might be able to post pics tonight, but basicly what I have are shackles to lower the rear end of my truck 2in......

OK...Bitgtime brainf@rt. (now I feel like an Id-10-T) When i posted this I hadn't even considered that I didn't have any of the crosssills in place, I just sat the bed on the chassis and the shackles erer hitting the wood floor. AAarggg.....

This is whats throwin me for a loop, I did not originally intend to make it a "Reflector Popper" until someone said something about it, Now it seems I keep puttin the kart before the horse. When I get home I gotta write out a gameplan from where I'm at to the finished product.......

Sometimes I'm just an IDIOT I guess..

Glad you figured it out! I was thinking to myself How could 2 inch extended shackels hit the bed?

If for some reason you can't use them I'll purchase them from you.

If for some reasom I can't use them, I will send them to ya, They didn't cost me anything so they wouldn't cost you anything.:D
I'm just funny like that.

When i posted this I hadn't even considered that I didn't have any of the crosssills in place, I just sat the bed on the chassis and the shackles erer hitting the wood floor.

Okay Flat. No need to post pics. That explains it. I was just confused as to how those shackles were not clearing the bed.

I got some blades for a saw last night from my "Pops" that he wanted me to try out. Seems like they might work OK but didn't really get the chance to try them last night. I'm going to see what they will do after work and will let everyone know what they are. I sure hope they work as good (if not better) than cut off wheels on a grinder, That thing gets loud after a while.

Hello Mister Broke, It seems to me you have got the picture thing figured out pretty good, I am having some trouble loading the pictures I have of My Pontiac, how do you downsize the pictures, If you can explain with out to much trouble that is, I dont' want to be a burden on any one! Thanks

Gimmie just a minute...

Open a folder of your pictures.
put the courser on one pic at a time to see what size they are.(max size here is 1000 X 800)
If larger than max size, right click on the pic.
Scroll down to "open with"
Click on paint and that pic will open up.
(TOP LEFT CORNER) click on image
scroll down and click on "resize"
Two highlighted boxes will show 100% X100% (I had to cut mine down to 61% X 61%) yours may be different.
(TOP RIGHT HAND CORNER) click the red "X" to close
POP-UP appears, click save
then you can move on to the next pic

There ya go...

Last edited:
I got work done tonight....WAHOO.....
I even got pics to boot.
The first pic is 3 pieces of scrap and the big piece is going to be for added support.
The second and third pics are "The Piece" that will essientially hold the rear half of my truck together.

Is it beefy enough???????

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
So I'm guessing that new cutting wheel worked out pretty good for you. Looks like you got alot done tonight. Good on ya. Those little grooves extending past the cut might create stress points. Your added support piece is thick though. One step closer to slamage.

Gastrick,
I wanted to give as much visual aid as possible on how I "plan" for this to work, so I bring more pics. The first shows the frame rail and where I drilled it for location purposes. The second shows the "Mini notch". The plan is to use 12 nuts, bolts, and washers to bolt it in place before I ever cut any on the frame. I think the support piece is strong enough so I won't have to worry about any kind of "Chassis Deflection".

Not quite there yet, mainly cause I want to make sure it is right before I cut this truck in half....

Please give me more feedback on this guys and girls...

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 48
Flat it looks to me like your cutting to much out I'd leave at least a inch or so in the frame at the top . I may not be understanding you this morning i'm still half a sleep yet. Have you considered raising up the front spring mount ?

Hey Tiny,
Normally, I would say that you might be right on cutting too much out of the frame itself. I know that you really can't tell how thick this piece is, but if you take a close look at the last pic, You will be able to see that it is at least 4x (if not 6x) thicker than the frame itself. I may just do the overkill thing an make a re-enforcement piece to go under the top in order to sandwich the top frame rail between 2 very thick pieces of metal.

Y'all keep more Q's comming cause I wan't to make sure everything was considered, and I always valeu everyones feedback.
Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
i can finally see what you are doing, that is a pretty good idea. are you going to re-inforce the other side of the frame since there will be no bottom? or will there? am i still picturing it wrong?

I dunno Flat it may be just me but i think it needs a little beef in the top lol.
Are you ever going to pull anything with the truck ? maybe it you don't it would be OK. I was going to take a piece of 6inch pipe and spilt it in half and do mine but i got rapped up in the rat truck and kinda kicked mine to the side for now .

Latest posts

Back