Dashing-Weekend Progress. Anyone Else?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
Well, we pulled off the dash, column drop, and gauge change although the gauges are not wired. The replacement dash looked similar to the old dash but the mounting points and dimensions were very different, causing some time consuming surgery. It rained pretty much the whole weekend which led to a substandard quickie outside paint job, but it will get me to Daytona and back. I'll put a nicer job on it later. I wanted the whole thing wired before the weekend was over but even with my brother (speed racer) helping, I failed to make it happen. Oh well, the way things went I was happy just to get it back together.

This is the old dash and gauges. Not bad but I didn't care for the white gauges in the bomber style interior and wasn't thrilled with the way everything else was laid out. Notice the two piece colum drop, it had to go, which also ended up causing cutting and welding because the top portion was welded to the dash support.

Saturday PM :eek:

I made a panel for the new column drop and secured it from the back with some 8-32 button heads.

Then I painted the drop gloss black and the panel flat black for contrast and added the indicator lights and a hole for the turn signal switch.

The whole deal ended up looking like this. My brother (speed racer) installed some carpet jute to the firewall while I was playing with the other parts.

Pardon the dust on the steering wheel.

One more from the center.........

And finally, my dad put some amber shellac on the interior wood. I like the look. Reminds me of some old furniture my grandfather made.

What did everybody else get done? I saw that earthman installed his motorcycle headlight and Maddog did a mock up on his Topo.

Wow Gastrick that new dash is impressive and the custom panel on the column drop is a nice touch. You did a great job, professional looking.

Big improvement!!!

Gastrick,
I have to say... u r really brave startin' this switch so close to the "Run" but it looks *really* clean & is a great improvement... love it!!!

BoB

As usual very nice work.I like the new one also better than what was there.I see that you did the lower half of the metal work in the rear of the car.Is the upper half just a cardboard template or is it just wood around the rear window area.Once again nice work.

Dash & drop look awsome ! All I did this weekend was go to a show & mess up a shock. Oh yeah, met your cuz ratzz at the show & we even said some nice things about you & your work :D:D .

As usual very nice work.I like the new one also better than what was there.I see that you did the lower half of the metal work in the rear of the car.Is the upper half just a cardboard template or is it just wood around the rear window area.Once again nice work.

35, in reference to the upper half of the rear panel, I actually made it out of aluminum and covered it with olive drab cloth. You cant tell it's cloth in pictures.

What did everybody else get done? I saw that earthman installed his motorcycle headlight and Maddog did a mock up on his Topo.

I feel ashamed. I went to Oktoberfest and ate bratwurst and saurkraut and listened to ommmpa music.

By the way...outstanding work as usual.

I love that look, I've always liked that insert. It changed the whole look of the interior. Awesome job. Can't wait to get back working on my ride.

Dash looks kicka$$ I like the way you did the drop. All I got done this weekend is the black headers, They came in on Sat and I put them on to see if they would work. Now I have room between the steering box and the exhaust. The black looks good. Thanks to all for votes on the black.

Great looking dash. Now it fits the vibe of the car.

Had dinner at "Ricky and Ronnies" with my Buds and their rides Friday night. Saturday, had coffee with the "Caffine Cruisers" in the morning. Then Sunday, drove the 51' to "Hollywood Hot Rods" for the day.

looks great gas!

I attempted to install the new calipers on my vette and snapped the main rear distribution block in half....so after many curses I attempted to remove the distribution block so i could go find a suitable replacement......at this point i rounded off the fitting on the main line because it was totally corroded......so after some more curses I got online and ordered all new stainless lines, new hardware, and distribution blocks. The only old parts of the system will be the proportioning valve and master cylinder when i get done.

I decided to order some more stuff for it as well including a new battery box, ground cable, new rear compartment door, and a painless disconnect switch with the mechanical latching solinoid.

Then i started designing a gps tracking system based on a cell phone for it because anytrack.com is out of stock. So far i'm about $70 into it and i'll do a write-up for you guys when i'm done. I need to buy a soldering gun though first.......

oh yeah...i bought a new jack and stands too :D

Latest posts

Back