enough patina already

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thom

I like the "patina" on my 55 Studebaker truck , but I would like to keep some of the factory green paint. I don't like the stains that keep reappearing from the rust running down the body panels.See the pic of the rear fender. I'm trying to figure out what to do. After I rub off all the run-down stains, again, should I put some low gloss clear over the surface rust or clear the whole truck?[S

Would some kind of conditioner like Armour All work ? I use it on all the black plastic trim on my late model vehicles. It would be pretty cheap to just spray some on a rag and wipe it down every so often. If you spray clear on the rust, wouldn't it just seal the surface while the rust would keep on eating the metal underneath ?
10 years ago, I sprayed Armour All on the tires on my 4x4 and when you wet down the driveway you can still see the outlines of the tires on the concrete - that's some kind of long lasting sealer....

I use burnt linseed oil on my patina once in spring and again at end of summer . Makes the old rust shine for a while , drives lookers nuts as they have never seen shiny rust . Shine doesn't last too long , but patina keeps on lookin cool .

If you spray clear on the rust, wouldn't it just seal the surface while the rust would keep on eating the metal underneath ?

Actually, the rust shouldn't get any worse if no further moisture gets to it,....so clearing it should stop, or at least slow down future rusting.

Same idea that the makers of POR-15 try to get across,......coat it, and forget it. They don't claim it converts the rust, .....just that it encapsulates it,...traps it and protects it from moisture.

OK.....I can get pretty off the wall at times....

(psssst...there's a cop waiting for you up in the trees)

WB3.....what the heck are you talkin about???!! [S Cops don't wait IN trees....they sleep under them......after a couple crispy creams and a large coffee..... :D

Ah!!!! I remember the donuts, but I remember the donut dollies a lot better! Of course that's when I was single. How about you Sarge? Don't fib now.:D

I blocked the front bumper in place to make the mounting brackets. The bumper has so nice patina too.

I laid some old fog lamps in place to see how they would look. What do you all think? Fog lamps or not?
The cop-car hiding in the woods is actually a '91 Caprice wagon that will be the organ donor for the truck. It has a remaned engine with approx 10,000 miles and a reman 700 trans with approx 1200 miles.Thanks.

I like the truck a lot. For me, it's better without the fog lights. The uninterrupted horizontal lines of the bumper and grill openings flow nicely.

I've used a Justice Brothers spray kinda like Gibb's oil and thicker than WD-40 to maintain a patina look. I;m not sure but I think it's called No. 80 or No. 90.

Latest posts

Back