Ever see a car and have to have it?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it was 1985 driving down the street when out the corner of my eye I seen a 1961 ford econoline 5 window pu. I was 18 and had to have it I got it and still have it today love that truck[dr

1986 driving down Rt.1 and there it was a 1975 black cutless and on the grill
it had 429 come to find out it was a 429 big block and once the guy started it
the rumble of that motor "I had to have it" long story short trying to out run the five o and not doing it had to get rid of it fun while it lasted.

1981. I saw a 1979 mustang with the 4 banger TURBO. saw the big cobra on the hood, silver and black, etc. I worked out a deal with my parents and worked 3 summers at two jobs to have that one. Oh, to be 16 again.:cool:

I can still remember the day I spotted my old Z code 390/4 speed 64 Galaxie 500 XL hartop. The moment I saw it sitting in an old service station parking lot I knew I had to have it. At the time I was in college and didn't have much extra cash, so I put my 72 F100 short wide bed truck up for sale so I could buy it. Before too long the truck was sold and the Galaxie was mine. I made a few changes (360 horse hi-po 352 heads, super comp headers) and I was tearing up the streets.

Sadly, in December of 1996 my shop burned down (arson fire) and I lost the original engine/trans, interior, and almost all the trim for the old Gal. But it was brought back to life slowly with a 460/C6 and fiberglass teardrop hood, fenders, and bumpers to make a lightweight clone. But by this time I was working constantly and the Galaxie became a back burner project. Then in late 2005 my father was diagnosed with lung cancer and by the middle of 2006 he was gone. After that my heart just wasn't into completing the Galaxie so I sold it and my plethora of other Galaxie cars & parts horde off.

And now here it is 2012 and you know what I'd like to find? My old 72 F100 short bed truck. I've often wondered what happened to it after all these years.

Sorry to hear about your father Jeremy. I too had alot of bad life moments take the wind our of my sails. Hope you find that old truck.

Sorry for the loss of your father, and your shop Jeremy.

When I was a kid, I had a full-size Chevy fetish. On my way home from HS one day, I spotted a '67 Impala SS on a used car lot, silver/grey, 327, 4 speed, posi. The hook was set. I went inside and asked about it. The salesman told me there was a sale pending, check back tomorrow. Next morning the car was gone. :mad:

A couple months later, I get home from school, and the car is parked in our driveway. A little pee runs down my leg. :eek: [S :confused: I go in the house, and a friend of my stepfather is there. He bought the car! I begged him to sell it to me. He said, "NO, but I'll let you know if I change my mind". :(

Next spring he calls, ready to sell. He's mad at it 'cuz it gets caught between gears, and he thinks it needs a trans (mechanical moron). I bought the car and rebuilt the shifter/linkage. :D

I had the car for 20 years, loved it, painted it black, punished the life out of it, and eventually sold it in a state of neglect and needing restoration. What I should have done, is sold it 10 years earlier when the bloody GTO was for sale.

Sorry to hear about your father Jeremy. I too had alot of bad life moments take the wind our of my sails. Hope you find that old truck.

Sorry for the loss of your father, and your shop Jeremy.

Thanks guys. The loss of the shop really hit me hard. Not only did I lose my Galaxie parts but I had a mint 65 Lincoln, a 1917 Model T, a plethora of 8BA flathead parts, a complete 462 MEL engine & C6 trans, the original drivetrain to my Daytona, and tons of other stuff. The building was a shop & apartment combo, so we lost EVERYTHING.

And what made it worse is that even though everyone knew who set the fire, the person was never charged with arson and was only picked up on a minor theft of some parts that were in the shop. Years later the person actually had the balls to stand in a friends business & brag about doing it in front of me & a few of my friends. It was over a year before I turned a wrench again, and even years later I'd go to look for a tool or a part & realize I didn't have it anymore.

Losing my father was worse because we worked on and did everything everything together. Even after I was out of college and working a lot we still shared a house together. We were that close. About a year after dad died my F250 diesel was stolen from storage, and then in summer 2010 the first car I owned, a 68 Lincoln, was stolen from our family property in the country.

So yeah, I haven't exactly had good luck. :(

My ex GF said to me one time "Honey, how many cars do you NEED????" I told her it isn't how many I need, it's how many I WANT !!! :cool:

I'm getting smarter though. When I see a project type car sitting somewhere I drive past and keep going. :)

Don

Sounds like you've had more than your share.....

Thanks guys. The loss of the shop really hit me hard. Not only did I lose my Galaxie parts but I had a mint 65 Lincoln, a 1917 Model T, a plethora of 8BA flathead parts, a complete 462 MEL engine & C6 trans, the original drivetrain to my Daytona, and tons of other stuff. The building was a shop & apartment combo, so we lost EVERYTHING.

And what made it worse is that even though everyone knew who set the fire, the person was never charged with arson and was only picked up on a minor theft of some parts that were in the shop. Years later the person actually had the balls to stand in a friends business & brag about doing it in front of me & a few of my friends. It was over a year before I turned a wrench again, and even years later I'd go to look for a tool or a part & realize I didn't have it anymore.

Losing my father was worse because we worked on and did everything everything together. Even after I was out of college and working a lot we still shared a house together. We were that close. About a year after dad died my F250 diesel was stolen from storage, and then in summer 2010 the first car I owned, a 68 Lincoln, was stolen from our family property in the country.

So yeah, I haven't exactly had good luck. :(

Sounds like you are still forging ahead....and that is great.....the guy that did that to you...what goes around will come around eventually....keep your chin up....things will turn around for you.....got to keep the faith....and don't be afraid to ask the Lord to help you thru.....works for me in tough times...

Well I bought the car on my way home from work. Gonna go pick it up in a few minutes. Woo hoo!

My ex GF said to me one time "Honey, how many cars do you NEED????" I told her it isn't how many I need, it's how many I WANT !!! :cool:

I'm getting smarter though. When I see a project type car sitting somewhere I drive past and keep going. :)

Don

i noticed you said ex gf. LOL

Latest posts

Back