Field Of Dreams: 500 Vehicle Barn Find Auction

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched the "coverage" on the History channel last night, where did they come up with those idiots?[S I know this wasn't a Barrett-Jackson style auction, but I'd like to have seen the bidders as they fought over this rusty junk and seen the cars a bit more instead of the three losers talking over everything.

I've got to say, I first thought that putting the best vehicles first was a mistake, I figured they would start with the junk and work toward the higher end stuff. When the Cameo went so high, I knew these folks were going to bid crazy prices, each one feeding on the next one. They all caught the fever, and let emotion cause them to lose reality. I bet several of those folks woke up this morning and went and looked at what they have bought and had a case of serious buyer's remorse! :eek:

And what about that Australian babe who bought a car, and has no idea of how to get it down there? A pure case of letting emotion overwhelm good judgement. I hope she has plenty of money, she's gonna need it. That car will have half a mil in it before she get it done!:eek:

Been watching some of today's action live on the computer on proxybid. Most have been more reasonable today with a few exceptions. Still a lot of folks there.

Wow.
$142,000.00 for a 58 Chevy pickup with a caved in roof and a broken windshield and rust. But hey, It only had 1.3 miles on the odometer. The ultimate Rat Rod.
This explains a lot of whats wrong with the world......
Torchie.

Wow.
$142,000.00 for a 58 Chevy pickup with a caved in roof and a broken windshield and rust. But hey, It only had 1.3 miles on the odometer. The ultimate Rat Rod.
This explains a lot of whats wrong with the world......
Torchie.

Sounds like a great deal to me!!!! Do they take personal check??

47831.gif

While I appreciate the novelty of the low mile cars and would love to have been able to purchase some of them, the prices they were going for are ridiculous. The only way they're worth remotely close to the prices that were paid is if they are left alone in their present condition, mileage and all. The moment you do anything to it or drive it it's no longer anything special, as it's no longer an untouched "zero-mile" vehicle.

Did anyone notice that the Corvette pedal car sold for 12 or 14 K? That's got to be a record, both in price and stupidity.

It amazes me that people are smart enough to make that amount of money and turn around and throw it away. On the other hand, if theyre gonna pay somebody to restore the car and keep it forever then I can respect that. No way they'll ever be able to resell those that they overpaid for to begin with

I can sort of see someone buying because of near zero miles and having never been titled...not for some of the prices they went for but that part I can understand. What I don't get is buying a 57 Chevy 4dr sedan for 37.5K, a 55 Chevy 2dr sedan with a completely rusted out floor for 12K, a rough 50 Suburban for 14K or even a clapped out 42 wrecker that looks like a tree fell on the hood for 5K and on and on. Auction fever at it's best (or worst) I guess.

I can sort of see someone buying because of near zero miles and having never been titled...not for some of the prices they went for but that part I can understand. What I don't get is buying a 57 Chevy 4dr sedan for 37.5K, a 55 Chevy 2dr sedan with a completely rusted out floor for 12K, a rough 50 Suburban for 14K or even a clapped out 42 wrecker that looks like a tree fell on the hood for 5K and on and on. Auction fever at it's best (or worst) I guess.

That wrecker did have a tree fall on its hood, it said so in the description. I bought my 46 GMC 3/4 for a steal of a deal at a widely publicized local auction here 4 years ago. The prices at this auction were just ridiculous, people got the fever.

I'm guessing the real valuable cars brought the people with deep pockets. The kind of people that go to Vegas and lose half a mil just for fun. Once they're there, they throw 20 grand down on something worth a 1/4 of that just for something to do.

Insanity like this has ripple effects with people thinking their junk is golden, driving prices up. It also shows that even in times when so many people are apparently having a tough time making ends meet, there are still people with money to burn.

Insanity like this has ripple effects with people thinking their junk is golden, driving prices up. It also shows that even in times when so many people are apparently having a tough time making ends meet, there are still people with money to burn.

Absolutely it drives up the prices. It's unfortunate, because things like this and Barrett-Jackson do a lot of damage to this hobby because people spend way more than things are actually worth.

Well, as soon as the prices go up like that, it is what the stuff is worth. When I was a kid I bought a nice straight 57 Belair 2 door for $15 but I sure bet none of us would want those prices back if we owned any of those cars.
It's supply and demand, and the supply of 60 year old cars with less than 10 miles on them is few. Look at the more common condition cars on that auction and the prices were about normal.

Agreed......

I'm guessing the real valuable cars brought the people with deep pockets. The kind of people that go to Vegas and lose half a mil just for fun. Once they're there, they throw 20 grand down on something worth a 1/4 of that just for something to do.

A very good bet would have been that this sale was going to bring stupid prices from stupid people....too bad the odds makers didn't have that running in Vegas....I'd have bet on that one!! :D

Latest posts

Back