finally a GOOD mek-a-nik

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
i met a guy in rapid recently
and hired him to do some simple work on my ram 3500
i walked into his shop
and that guy has seemingly everything
turns out he is a 3rd generation mechanic who has worked for a number of dealerships and also did it while in the military
he hurt his back so he is semi retired.
off the top of his head he knew all sorts of specs on the shaggin waggins tranny.tc and axles.
afterwards we went shooting in his front yard (gotta love the country)
he likes my big bore wheelguns especially
gonna charge me $35 an hour to do the stuff on the wagon that
1 i dont know how
2 dont have the tools
3 my arthritis wont let me do.
so i made a new friend and got a good mechanic
hes got a beater 4x4 truck with a spotless engine /driveline
he dont know it
but a born ratrodder

It makes me cringe to think of some other dude laying hands on one of my vehicles. But am getting better,I let them change my oil when I'm feeling lazy.....

im happy to pay this guy to do this crap and do it right.
beats me killin my back to do something that aint no fun anyhoo:D

It makes me cringe to think of some other dude laying hands on one of my vehicles. But am getting better,I let them change my oil when I'm feeling lazy.....

The one time I decided to get a speedy lube place to change my oil on my DD, they didn't even change the filter. Dropped the plug and filter, then put the filter back on so tight that it leaked around the seal, and we needed to drop the front driveshaft to get in there and get leverage to get it off. Never again.

The one time I decided to get a speedy lube place to change my oil on my DD, they didn't even change the filter. Dropped the plug and filter, then put the filter back on so tight that it leaked around the seal, and we needed to drop the front driveshaft to get in there and get leverage to get it off. Never again.

just walked in from changing the oil on the 2010 gmc terrain and cummins 3500
bout 65 bux for both of em
and mebbe 20 minutes
i always do it myself
easy fast and i save a bundle

just walked in from changing the oil on the 2010 gmc terrain and cummins 3500
bout 65 bux for both of em
and mebbe 20 minutes
i always do it myself
easy fast and i save a bundle

Only time I didn't do it (as described earlier), I had won a gift certificate at a car show for a place close to my house. The "Free" oil change wasn't worth it.

I'd rather do it myself.

When we were at the garage tours for the Goodguys show in Spokane, the one shop was offering chassis dynos on your vehicle. I can't even grasp letting someone else thrash your vehicle (especially if you've built it yourself). Nope.

I have a local guy that does most of my oil changes. Never had a problem with him. Wife had oil changed in my pickup once at WalMart, got home, starter went out on it, unrelated problem. While I was under it taking starter off, my son just reached up and turned the oil filter, 4 turns! It was about to fall off! Never take one to WalMart for oil change again!

I do most of the work on my hot rods. The drivers, I will do brakes and belts, but anything computer or engine related I usually let my Bro in law, a certified mechanic, do it. Me and fuel injection and computers don't get along real well....

Oil change and alignment are about the only things I farm out. We've got a couple real good independent lube shops and I ain't laying under anyone's car for $20 to do grunt work, not even my own.

Getting ready to order six kwik sleeves and seven seals for him to install.
Get rid of all those leaks.
It's a waste of money to fill the transmission, transfer case and rear end at this point.
It will pour out
Those fifty one year old seals are toast.

Latest posts

Back