FIrst roadkill.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

The other night Dan and I took our rods and went out to dinner, me following Dan. As we were driving down a 3 lane at about 45 mph I suddenly saw a Possum rolling out from under Dans rpu. I had no time to react and also hit it. Both of us felt terrible, but it was probably better that we had no chance to turn the wheel or brake, as there were cars on either side of us and one was right on my tail.

Poor little guy had no chance with our dropped axles being so low, and Dan particularly feels bad as he even saves frogs that wander into our shop. But it could have been much worse because I know people have wrecked avoiding animals in the road. Still feel bad about it though. :(

Don

I hate it too. I hit a pheasant and a turtle this spring. Thought the turtle was horse poop cuz there was a lot of it on the county road. The pheasant actually hit me.

Driving my roadster late at night a couple summers ago a deer hit me in the left rear wheel. Totalled the Moon disc. If I had been a bit slower or the deer a bit faster it would have been a direct hit on my decrepit old body.

Willowbilly, I go on a snow plow website once in a while. A really cool guy from Alaska, 80miles northeast of Valdese, said the the number one cause of vehicle deaths there is hitting Moose.

some animals would make me feel bad if i hit them like pheasants, deer, elk, peoples pets,and so on but theres a few of them i try to hit on pourpose like jack rabbits, rattle snakes(it usally dont kill rattle snakes but it slows them down so i can shot them with the 12 gauge) racoons, pop guts, and a few others but thier usally not on the road

I worked in Rock Hill, SC about 12 years ago and they were having a real problem up there with deer. The population was out of hand and they were being hit on the road left and right. As I was driving there at night all of a sudden there were about 5 of them standing about 2 feet off of the shoulder of the road, scared the Bejesus out of me. Those were really BIG deer too.

One guy that worked with us hit one and it's hooves came through the windshield and it was kicking him as he tried to get out of his seat belt.:eek: I guess in some parts of the country there are quite a few large animals that get hit regularly.

Being the animal lovers we are, even that Possum getting hit made us feel bad, but it could have been worse.

Don

My Dad was a long distance trucker. He told me about his friend that ran across a bull moose, that was standing in the middle of the road. He was driving a conventional cab Kenworth. The moose was so big, they seem to watch each other eye to eye. He hit the air horn to spook the moose into getting out of the way. The moose bellowed and charged. The antlers torn the front end of the Kenworth off.

Normally, RRR threads are useless without pictures - I think this one is an exception.

I don't head for them but I don't worry about it, unless it's someones pet.

I saw a squirrel get flipped into a mag wheel, spin about 3 times and fly out - funny!

UPS policy: "Don't veer for deer." You're risking a whole lot more swerving erratically than slamming your brakes. Moose or horse? Forget it.

Here's a pic anyway. That had to suck. Probably happened a lot back then and it looks like maybe the milk mans horse. That would be like someone killing your partner.
OKdrumrighthorsecaraccident-r.jpg

A friend of mine hit a raccoon one night it ripped out the rubber brake line to the passenger front wheel. He realized this after he nearly drove through the back wall of his garage.

I wiped a buzzard's hinny with my windshield one time.
He flew away but left his calling card all over the windshield and hood.:mad:
My Wiffy said "turn on the wipers" and I replied "yeah right"

The thoughts of hitting a moose in a T Bucket, makes me hurt just thinking about it. :eek:

Just aim for the middle, you'd probably go right under him:D. I've seen a few pickups go under moose and it makes convertibles out of them, the hood is fine, the bed is fine but there's nothing higher than that left.

some animals would make me feel bad if i hit them like pheasants, deer, elk, peoples pets,and so on but theres a few of them i try to hit on pourpose like jack rabbits, rattle snakes(it usally dont kill rattle snakes but it slows them down so i can shot them with the 12 gauge) racoons, pop guts, and a few others but thier usally not on the road

Asphalt is tough, but when you're on gravel the trick with snakes is to hit the brakes as you go over them, if you do it just right you'll cut them in half. Although the 12 gauge is quite effective, can you get the rest of them while you're at it?

I guess it's a city/country thing this hitting animals business. Up here it's part of driving. My wife had a Plymouth Breeze when we met, it was missing a passenger's side mirror from hitting an elk, so I replaced it and within a week a deer knocked the other one off. So I replaced that one and she almost centered a black horse at night. Then we moved to OK for a bit and within a month of being down there she hit an armadillo. I threatened to get her a personalized plate that read FURMISL "Fur Missile" but I never did.

In the late 90's my folks had a mint '88 Lincoln town car with 40k miles on it and within a month of moving to MT mom hit a deer at 75mph (that's the speed limit now, back then MT didn't have a speed limit) and totaled it, the officer that responded to the call was coming from another deer collision and on his way to her he hit a deer too!

Insert roadkill joke here cause I couldn't find a Joke Thread.

Boudreaux and Thibodeaux got up at 3am and headed to the bayou for some hunting, trapping and fishing.
As Thibodeaux was driving his old 58 International Pickup down the narrow south Louisian back road, Boudreaux would holler STOP and Thibodeaux would slam on his brakes and Boudreaux would get out, take a piece of chalk out of the bib overall top pocket and draw a big circle around any roadkill that happened to be in the road. He did that consistentally all the way to where the boat was tied to a tree by the bayou and during the trip he drew circles around dead possums, squirrels, nutrient, racoon, skunk, deer, hogs and a few large snakes. All of this time Thibodeaux kept silent and didn't say a word but when they stopped the truck and started loading their guns, rods and reels and other stuff in the boat, he said - - - "Boudreaux why you holler STOP all the way here and den git out and make a circle 'round dem dead critters?" Boudreaux just smiled, stuck out his chest and said - - - "Well Thib (he called him that cause they were close friends) - - Thib iffin wez spends all day out cher hunting, fishing and trapping and don't have to have any luck at all - -- - - then everything lying in road on the way home that doesn't have a chalk circle around it is TONIGHT'S GUMBO !"

^^^^ I remember when I was little, there was an old lady that drove a little red rambler that would stop, pick up road kill, and take it home to her near falling down house. When she died around 1980, her estate was worth 2-3 mil.

Latest posts

Back