Flathead Help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schulzcep

I have a quick question that I am hoping you guys may be able to answer for me. I am building a 26/27 Model T Coupe and have access to a 1951 Ford Flathead that I am thinking about using. The gentleman that is selling it has stated the quote below:

"There is a small crack between one of the head bolts and a water port. This is a common and fixable crack most flattys get."

Is this an easy, affordable fix? If so, what kind of money are we talking to fix it? The motor is sold complete, carb to oil pan, and this appears to be the only issue.

I just wanted to know if I should run from this repair or, invest a few bucks into it to have a nostalgic flathead for my car.

Thanks

I've never played with a flathead but do know that most of them have some small cracking. A friend of mine who built flatheads as part of his business told me one time that he has to get 10 motors to find one that has no cracks in it.

If you don't score the info you need on here, go to the HAMB and put in "repairing flathead crack". You will find probably 200 threads or more on that subject. You also might call someone like H and H who build them and ask their advice.

Anyone who has built a flathead or had one overhauled will tell you to hang onto your wallet, they ain't cheap to play with. (Ask Gastrick :D) I saw a saying about flatheads one time that made a lot of sense, it went, "You will never spend so much money to go so slow." :D

Don

I will add that since you live in AZ, flatheads are notorious for overheating, which is how alot of them end up cracked in the first place. They have a basic design comprimise (flaw) in that the exhaust gas actually runs across the head to exit on the side opposite of the valve. That really contributes to the overheating issues.

"Better" V-8 flathead designs have the exhaust port where it should be - next to the exhaust valve in the "V" area of the motor.

Don't kill the messenger, flathead fans - just sayin!

Of course you can overcome this problem by finned aluminum heads, better water pumps, big radiator w/elec fans, etc. $$$$

I looked into running a flathead quite a bit with my latest project, but I live in TX and its just too hot here and I sit at too many stoplights. They sure sound cool though.

Latest posts

Back