Fluid clutches

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider

Hello everyone,
This is my first time logging on. I have started a rat and would like a little advice. I have a chevy manual three speed and I would like to use a hydraulic clutch. My question is can I use a fluid thowout bearing or do they make one for my application?

Any info would be nice.

Thank you

A hydraulic throw out bearing can be tricky.Aftermarket ones require shims to make everything engage right.When I was racin hobbystocks we ran a pull type slave cylinder w/stock clutch fork.You gotta drill or torch a 3/8 hole in the fork out on the end so the threaded end of the slave can go through.Put a rocker arm ball and nut on that end.The other end is threaded too and you can attach that to a homeade bracket and attach the bracket to trans mount.A push type you can just make a bracket on the side of engine block and mount slave to that.I've ran both types and had luck w/both. It seems like alot of messin around but the end result is great and easy to adjust later.Make sure that bleeder screw is up too.Speedway sells the slave 34.95 for a pull type and 49.95 for a push type. Hope this helps ya out.

Thanks for the advice guys, I had never seen or worked on a hydrualic throwout. Sounds like the slave is the easy way to go. Is there any reason that a toyota master and slave wouldn't work?

I would think it should work, you would just have to fabricate brackets to mount it.On my 29 sedan we used the slave & master off a 62 IH pickup. Fabbed a bracket and made it work.Ya just need to remember to have bleeder screw up for bleedin air out,or bench bleed before you install.

Thanks again Gearhead, I will keep you guys posted on how it works or if I come up with something that works better. I will also try to put some pics on when I get started.

Thanks again Gearhead, I will keep you guys posted on how it works or if I come up with something that works better. I will also try to put some pics on when I get started. The reason I am trying to use toyota parts is I have access to a lot of toyota parts because I use to rebuild wrecked toyota 4x4s.
I can get the master and slave cylinder for about 40 bucks.

Thanks again Gearhead, I will keep you guys posted on how it works or if I come up with something that works better. I will also try to put some pics on when I get started. The reason I am trying to use toyota parts is I have access to a lot of toyota parts because I use to rebuild wrecked toyota 4x4s.
I can get the master and slave cylinder for about 40 bucks.

If you have the access.Then use the Toyota stuff.Nice and small.Parts avalibilty is everwhere across the US.

There's a Hot Rod guy who is making almost everything you would need for this set-up. I am in the process of changing out the Turbo 350 tranny in my 1946 Ford Tudor to a Borg Warner 4 Speed. The biggest problem I faced was that linkage thing. I started looking into a slave cylinder set-up and found this guy. His name is Mike Forte and he has a web-site with a lot of cool stuff, Mike himself is a wealth of information and willing to talk and help in any way he can. You might take a look, it solved all of my problems and is making this a straight across bolt in swap.

http://www.fortesparts.com/index.cfm

Heres a picture of his converted bell housing with the slave cylinder and custom made clutch fork installed.

Roland

Attachments

• Bell & Slave (Medium).jpg
    Bell & Slave (Medium).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back