Frame Holes?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdubya

Love the look of frames with lightening holes along their length. Can they be sleeved with thin wall tubing? Seems like the use of heavy wall wouldn't really make it any lighter. Or, is it just for looks?

many of the early cars didnt sleeve them but thats not the safest. now it is more for aesthetics and you can use thin wall to sleeve 1/8 would be the thinnest i would go on a structural part of the frame

If they are sleeved with 1/8" you're going to have a heavier frame than you started with, but it'd look cool!

With 1/16" sleeving it'll be both lighter, stronger and cooler. :D

I did some load calculations on my frame with and without the holes, didn’t really care about weight, just the look and strength.
My frame is quite a bit stronger with the holes and tubes welded in than it would be without them using the same wall (1/8”). I also calculated it using 3/16” wall tube.
Adding the holes and welding tubes in them allowed me to use a thinner 1/8” wall, giving both weight and cost savings, but still have very similar strength as a heaver 3/16” wall tube frame.

Speedo holes

the speedo holes really dont make a huge differance on weight, but the look is very cool. we have done it on one of our frames, it just takes lots of time and patience. good luck on your build

DRAGITFAST KUSTOMS

the speedo holes really dont make a huge differance on weight, but the look is very cool. we have done it on one of our frames, it just takes lots of time and patience. good luck on your build

DRAGITFAST KUSTOMS

i saw them do this on horsepower tv and they saved like 30-40 lbs

I did some load calculations on my frame with and without the holes, didn’t really care about weight, just the look and strength.
My frame is quite a bit stronger with the holes and tubes welded in than it would be without them using the same wall (1/8”). I also calculated it using 3/16” wall tube.
Adding the holes and welding tubes in them allowed me to use a thinner 1/8” wall, giving both weight and cost savings, but still have very similar strength as a heaver 3/16” wall tube frame.

This is exactly why I am going to do it.

Latest posts

Back