Fuel Pump????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycledog

A really rusty biker
Is there such a thing as a mini or at least smaller than stock mechanical fuel pump for an SBC? I didn't want to use an electric fuel pump but a mechanical will not fit between my frame and the block. The pumps I have found are about 4 .25" from back of mounting pad out. I only have about 3.75" clearence max.

any suggestions?

I suffered this same fate when building my rather narrow Anglia. To answer your question, the only alternative sized sbc mechanical fuel pump that I was able to find was the one shown below. It's expensive and I wasn't sure that it would work anyway. I ended up using an electric pump which I didn't want to do.

Notch the frame,or jack the motor up.

I've seen belt drive fuel pumps,but they are high volume for Alky.
Also expensive.

MIGHT be possible to re engineer the SBC pump,to work upside down.
The better pumps are bolted together,it would involve some serious machine work.

the pump on my 6 cylinder chevy is just shy of 3.75 inches in width , don`t know if it would work or not , might have to modify the pump arm.

Upside down

Why not just put the pump in upside down, that ought to solve the clearance problem. Just kidding!

Beercan

We had to notch the frame on a dirt car for clearance. It isn't a huge thing.
I would run a safety that will stop the electic fuel pump if the engine dies, maybe even something like a Ford inertia switch. Every see a knocked out person burn up because the electric fuel pump kept pumping gas on the fire? Not a pretty sight.
Maybe someone here has a good simple schematic for wiring a relay to do that..

We had to notch the frame on a dirt car for clearance. It isn't a huge thing.
I would run a safety that will stop the electic fuel pump if the engine dies, maybe even something like a Ford inertia switch. Every see a knocked out person burn up because the electric fuel pump kept pumping gas on the fire? Not a pretty sight.
Maybe someone here has a good simple schematic for wiring a relay to do that..

I have always wired in a relay on electric fuel pumps. I never thought of the fire aspect though:eek: I always put them in to maintain constant voltage.

A real simple way to do that is to run the power wire thru the oil pressure switch if you run an electric gauge. If you run a mechanical gauge you could put a T fitting with your oil line & install a switch there. Simple engine shuts off + no oil pressure = fuel pump stops & engine shuts off. A similar set up is required by most racing sanctioning bodies.

Crash switch!

I avoided elec pumps for years because of the crash aspect but use them now with a Ron Francis Crash Relay Switch. I run pretty loud mufflers but if u run quieter ones... you can hear the pump working.

BoB

A real simple way to do that is to run the power wire thru the oil pressure switch if you run an electric gauge. If you run a mechanical gauge you could put a T fitting with your oil line & install a switch there. Simple engine shuts off + no oil pressure = fuel pump stops & engine shuts off. A similar set up is required by most racing sanctioning bodies.

Would this work with an "idiot light" as well, or do you suggest a gauge. I have an electric pump on my Packard.

Toyota forklifts have a solid state relay that wont come on unless it see,s a pulse signal (tach wire from distributor) The pupose of this device is to shut off the fuel when the motor isnt running. If you want I could get you the part number and a wiring diagram. Its called a rev switch. To bad its made in Japan.

Latest posts

Back