Going past my house - The Great Race - PICS

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
Last weekend I was out in my garage working on stuff and I saw a old black semi go by - thought they musta been at a car show. A couple minutes later I see a old 40's car go by with stickers all over it. Ok, car show. Then a minute later, another with stickers all over?? I go to the end of the drive and here comes a boattail speedster - stickers all over it? Look down the other direction and there are a old cars coming that way too! Then I put it together - The Great Race was running a leg past my house! Grabbed the camera and started taking pics. They were coming from the south, making a left before my house, making a loop through town, going past my house, and making a right onto the same road. Went to the corner an got to see 'em all twice. Cool!

HemmingsNews Great Race
followed the Mississippi this year.
http://www.greatrace.com/

IMGP6657sml_zps8206ca2d.jpg

IMGP6677sml_zpsceb12264.jpg

IMGP6687sml_zps8b077caf.jpg

IMGP6693sml_zps0daed0bc.jpg

IMGP6695sml_zpsbd0de99a.jpg

IMGP6710sml_zps0d28817b.jpg

IMGP6721sml_zps638f4176.jpg

IMGP6729sml_zpse3111cc6.jpg

IMGP6747sml_zps41193068.jpg

I was seriously looking at running the race some time until I saw the entry price! $4500 for a private entry! No race is that cool!

Hemmings Motor News Great Race has been run since 1983. In the classic car hobby it is quite a prestigious honor to win and the prize money isn't bad either. $50,000 to the winner this year. So yes it is that cool!

Last edited:
We had the race go through our town back in 1995, I think, though not certain, it was the first time it was started and finished outside of the US. It's a pretty big deal for that segment of the old car world.

In those pics there is a Light Blue 54 Chevy that a buddie of mine and I went to an auction last year about this time to buy. He bought it and we went through the brakes/fuel / engine and a few other things and then prepped it for this race, here is a pic (the only one I have) of it after I got the body/paint cleaned up. He took 8th in his class and 15th over all this year. Not bad for his 1st time out.
Also my buddie has this 40 Chevy coupe that we did a resto on 23yrs ago and it has had AACA nat 1st place show winnings and has run this race 14 times and now has 128k on the resto. This year he was 2nd in class and 5th over all.

Wish I had better pics. These guys have so much fun on this race and look forward to the next one and go rallying all over the country ever summer.

Attachments

• J Huds shop 001.jpg
    J Huds shop 001.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 10
  • J Huds shop 003.jpg
    J Huds shop 003.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 9
  • J Huds shop 008.jpg
    J Huds shop 008.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 12
  • J Huds shop 009.jpg
    J Huds shop 009.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 9
Yes...thanks for sharing....

That one turn must be might sharp....some of them old girls are lying over might hard....lol

The race started at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds during Back to the 50's.

Thanks for posting the pics, Sam.

That one turn must be might sharp....some of them old girls are lying over might hard....lol

Yeah, the one road is at a 45 degree angle to the other. So the first time through, its a easy left turn, but the second time through is a HARD right! It caught a few by surprise.

Hey Cosmic12:
IMGP6700sml_zpsae6d6178.jpg

Latest posts

Back