Gun Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I particularly like a 12 ga. loaded with No 4 Buckshot. Even the short 2 3/4" shells throw 27 pellets at .24" diameter each. My 10 Ga. magnum throws 54...that's alot of lead to wade thru...
They say it only penetrates 1/2 the distance as 00 buck but that's still 7-9" and 00 buck in a short shell will only cast 8-9 pellets at .33" each. In a bad situation, inside your house, figure what the distance across your largest room would be. Mine here would be less than 25 feet. At that close a range, that's hip shooting with 100 % accuracy...

Last edited:
ratguns for bad occasions

Attachments

• GEDC1153.JPG
    GEDC1153.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 16
When I lost my job 2.5 yrs. ago (back wking 6mos now) my guns had to go. I sold off a lot of great firearms but, saving the house was more important. The one firearm I would not sell was my 870. The most versatile firearm there is it can be used for every thing from birds to deer to blasting a hole in a wall. No round is more plentiful/accessible as the 12ga. shell.

For new shooters, woman, teens etc. Consider the Knoxx Stock. It a recoil management stock. To me when I shoot deer slugs & #1 buck it feel about like a 20g.

My bedside gun:

>>>To the OP , I would tell you the best gun for your GF is the one she can shoot the accurately with confidence. A firearm one can't/won't shot is worthless.

I particularly like a 12 ga. loaded with No 4 Buckshot. Even the short 2 3/4" shells throw 27 pellets at .24" diameter each...

Consider this:

“Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 15 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 15 pellets is .964 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 20 percent more potentially effective wound trauma.

In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body.”

~ http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot56.htm

I used to keep 00buck loaded until I read that article. Love the Box of Truth site.;)

Latest posts

Back