holley 4 barrel choke question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat-on

I bought a late model Holley universal 4 barrel 600cfm carb barely used in the box at a swap meet for my RPU project. The choke housing looks like an electric style with the black plastic cap with internal coil on the choke housing, but no electric terminals to hook up any wires. The housing has an 1/8" hose port that I assume hooks up the the hose port on the air horn. I don't know if this would be a hot air choke style or not. It looks just like an electric choke missing the terminals. Can I just buy a new coil with terminals and all would work?

I called the Holley tech line and they said that some of the late model carbs are hot air choke. I will just run it and see how it performs. Thanks for the replies.:D

Just rotate the choke cap, hard toward lean and retighten. This will keep you from getting any ill affects of the choke plate.
You did not say what engine or manifold you are using, but you can make a
hot air tube to feed the choke if you have a heat source on your intake or exhaust manifold. In a tight you could wrap the tube around a header tube.
The tube to the carb, if very long will need to be insulated to keep the heat in. By the way it takes a ferrel (sp) on the tube, under the fitting to hold it in place. The choke has an internal vacuum to draw the heated air into the housing.

I'm running an Edelbrock Torquer 2 manifold on a chevy v6 with headers. There are no provisions for hot air hookup. I'm going to try polished 1/4" copper tubing from the choke housing, down to the center header tube and wrap it around a few times, and up to carb horn fitting. I'm still aways from firing the engine up, but all the small stuff has to be done at sometime.

Check in the plumping dept for chromed copper tube. They used to use it a lot for feed lines to toliets. It may even come with the ferrel and threaded fitting. Pinch the end of the tube on the header end to reduce the amount of air that it can pull in.

Most of the hot air set ups, have a small amount of vacuum on the tube when the car is at idle. This will help to pull the heated air into the choke spring area, as the engine warms up the choke should open. The hose that you speak of "I think" is on the under side of the air horn, you should hook a vacuum hose to this end then route it down to the steel line that is raped around a header tube, the other end of this steel line then goes to the choke housing and is fastened with a compression fitting to complete the loop. This way the air that is being drew into the vacuum port is filtered. Ruing a choke sure helps with better cold start ups, the other plus if it works correct is the fast idle linkage. Just one more thing a lot off the cars & trucks that used this system had a cover over the steel line to help hold the heat, this thing looked like a sock.

Latest posts

Back