home made white walls

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here she is...Ms. Audrey!!! 1948 Dodge Town Sedan, had her since Feb. 8th, been working on her steadily since then, new rotor, condensor, points, coil, plugs, plug wires, carburator, tires (as you see above), windshields, re-wired the lights, and as of this coming weekend, all new glass on both sides. Gave her a fresh rattle can and some patina last weekend!!! Coming soon, interior work!

08.jpg

11.jpg

House paint!

Cabby,
I used oil based house paint! I had some sittin' around. It was really a little off white but anyway... I got a paint brush... jacked the rear end up... put it in gear to spin the rear tires & it worked like a charm. It's held up pretty well except for where I scraped the curb a couple of times!

BoB

Custom Cabby...

Ya, I did the lettering, it's an homage to my grandpa and his brothers who had several drag cars in their day where I grew up in Fort Dodge, IA.

Here are a few of their cars...
1967_6June-_13_Grove_Bros_Racing_Se.jpg

1967_6June-_12_Grandpa_under_raceca.jpg

Grovebros.jpg

1976_7Jul7-_8_Wheely_off_the_line.jpg

finally... my tires

100_8213.jpg

100_8218.jpg

heres what i have been slowly working on. totally rattle canning it and i cant believe how well its looking. it will be wet sanded after its all done and given that patina look. the tires were painted using that paint you can buy off of ebay. its not too bad from far away but you can tell it close up. let me know what you think or suggest, thanks.

That looks like a really nice truck. In my honest opinion you are really not doing it justice by trying to make it look rusty and crappy when you already have such a nice start. Those years of Ford trucks are notorious for being rusty junk, and you seem to have one that has excaped that fate. Why would you go in reverse? This fake "patina" crap is a trend, just like billet and big wheels. Do something a little more timeless and I think you would be happier and more rewarded in the long run. It's your truck, so do what you want. But ask for an opinion...

with all due respect, doesnt EVERYTHING start out as being a fad? and then it becomes "custom, traditional, etc...?" and she wont be rusty. i considered that a while back and after much thought decided against it. but thanks for the insight.

Nice Truck!!!

Cabby...she looks sweet!!! Nice work man, keep it up. Once you get the truck all rattle canned, you'll be able to look at it for as long as you want before you patina it...decide what you think will look best, but IMHO go for the patina

i while ago i googled home made white walls and was directed to a forum that is full of $*&%.... anyways, the method they explained was to use "Fusion" rattle spray can paint. well, after degreasing with simple green and going over the tire with laquer thinner and then simply wiping it down well i went ahead and taped and sprayed the driver tires and remounted and started truck to roll out of the garage to see the end result from a distance. the paint started to crack and flake off. any suggestions on what happened and what i sould do now?

if you read all the threads, krylon fusion and all other rattle can solutions end up looking like **** 98% of the time. go to home depot or lowes or trusty bobs home fixer center and (depending on if youre in the north or south) grab a gallon of kool seal/sno seal paint for 20 bucks. kool seal in the south, sno seal in the north, its roof sealant which is really elastic and allows for change in temperature. clean the tires and all, but this holds up WAY better than rattle can, even if it does say that it works well on rubber or plastic.

update on tire paint

okay.... after several days of the truck sitting (no driving at all) the oil has come to the surface of the paint. i sanded down the tire with an orbital and also degressed it well. and still, it came to the top. so instead of having clean white walls, i will have to stain them up just to make them look some-what okay. not my original choice but it will have to do.

now that i have done the damage with the original intent of using the "speciallized tire paint" do you think i could go over it with the gesso or would i need to sand it off and go over the tire itself?

The gesso would not interact with the paint but the paint will continue to peel and yellow against the tire. The more paint you can remove the happier you will be with the final results.Keep the faith! Nice looking www's can still happen :)

okay, newest update. the gesso still did not hold the oil from coming to the surface.

take it from me... if you want wide whites, dont apply paint to newer tires.... and if you do then be prepared to be so ticked off that you go down and order a new set of original WWW.

i never got around to using sno seal/kool seal, but if youre lookin for a cheap solution and have time (which i dont have at all) try it out, its flexible and is made to cope with temp. changes.

if you do decide to try it let me know!

Woo-hoo!! true whites!!

i bought one tire just to make sure i liked how it looked before doing the rest. the thing that i am unsure of is the white wheel along with www ...thinking of maybe a bright orange. any and all opinions are welcome. and if anyone has knowledge of how to photo edit to show a different color wheel... feel free.

Attachments

• trucktire2.jpg
    trucktire2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 31
  • trucktire.jpg
    trucktire.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back