homemade turn switch issues...help?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I got the switches I made hooked up and the turn signals work but my hazards are on constant. A guy I talked to mentioned adding some rectifier diodes where I spliced the RF & LF F&R signals so the hazards don't feed back. I'll have to try this tomorrow since it's late, but I'll let you know if it works out.

If anyone has any other ideas let me know.

Here are the diagrams I went from...

switch_off.jpg

signal_right.jpg

signal_left.jpg

hazradSwitch1.jpg

Never mind that the hazard switch is labeled wrong. It's just a normal on/off switch.

Not sure I get the 'feedback' idea. Everything is energized and needs to be, so where would it feedback to? I would wonder if your flasher is heavy duty enough to handle all 4 lights and the 2 relays all at once. Also, I don't think you need both the relays (coil side) and the light power going through the flasher.

I think it might work better to have the light side of the relays go directly to BAT. Then have the coil side of the relay go through the flasher and switch. On second thought, the flasher might need more load than just the relays, so you'd put the switch to BAT and the lights on the flasher - make sense?

Picture:

Attachments

• hazradSwitch2.jpg
    hazradSwitch2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 36
The thing is there is only ONE wire coming out of the fuse panel for each flasher... 1 wire is "Turn Flasher"... the 2nd is "Hazards". The guy at Rebel Wire tech support is who mentioned it needs the diodes. He said American Autowire makes a switch they recommend for this application and when using that specific switch you have to use the diodes. Hopefully when I try it it works... This is probably one of those things I'm going to have to test over and over.

I'm determined to get it right though!

In my version, BAT would be the equivalent of your Hazards wire off the fuse box.

Are you using that specific type of switch?

Try removing one of the light bulbs and see if you get the hazards to flash. If it flashes slow with 3 but not 4 then the flasher is not heavy enough. Ever notice when a bulb goes out your turn signals flash faster? Same idea.

You want the bulbs to go through the flasher not the coils of the relays, they wont pull enough to make it blink

Attachments

• Hazzards.jpg
    Hazzards.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 28
You need to check the diagrams to your wiring. Theres no way to backfeed if done correct.I notice in your diagrams your not showing the power "in" wires it very important where you hook them up in the system and the flashers have to be in series with the bulb to work properly. You are using 4 relay, correct?

Attachments

• signals.jpg
    signals.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Hazzards.jpg
    Hazzards.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 18
Yes, I'm using 4 relays.

One thing I'm confused about sneakysnake, is in your diagrams your showing both terminals of the flashers. There is only one wire for each flasher coming out of the fuse block.[S

So I went back and unhooked everything from the hazard switch ( but the hazard switch relays are still connected to all four corner signal wires) and the hazards are still on. The hot "hazards" wire is completely disconnected from the relays and switch. This should say that the hazard is still getting through to the "4-corners signal wires". A diode between this connection should stop that right?... maybe?:confused:

I'll post a better version of the diagram to help clarify in a minute.

Here is the diagram with the switches together. Maybe this will explain how I have it wired right now. Now remember I disconnected everything from the hazard relay (with the exception of the turn signal wires being spliced), but they were still disconnected and the hazard is still on.???

turn_hazard_together.jpg

You want it to be like this..Your not showing the 552 flasher properly and power from the fuse box goes to one side of the flasher and to the switch.Key on power goes to sigs,All time hot goes to haz.

Attachments

• turn_hazard_together.jpg
    turn_hazard_together.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 552.jpg
    552.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 12
Yes, I'm using 4 relays.

One thing I'm confused about sneakysnake, is in your diagrams your showing both terminals of the flashers. There is only one wire for each flasher coming out of the fuse block.[S

QUOTE]
These should be your power wires, The one for Signal will only power when the key is on. The one for hazzards will have all time constant 12v. These two wires will go to the switches and one terminal on the 552 flasher.

I'll post some pictures of the actual fuse box and wires today if I still can't get it figured out.

Thanks for helping me out and being patient... I really do appreciate it. I know it's hard when you can't physically show someone.

OK I drew it up a little different to make it more like what it sounds like you have hope it makes it more clear.

Attachments

• turn_hazard_together.jpg
    turn_hazard_together.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 32
I didn't figure it out until I got home tonight that I think I had the turn flasher hooked up backwards. I talked to the tech support at Rebel Wire and he said I could even probably just run a wire from my ignition switch to the turn signal switch power (center) terminal since that side of the flasher is wired back into the fuse box.

Hopefully it will work tomorrow.

In the first pic you can see (kind of) how the far left purple wire (that goes to the battery) curls right back into the fuse block. The flasher prongs stick out a little so I can probably solder a wire to it or try the ignition switch power wire. The second pic shows how sneakysnake was saying to run it. Hopefully this will work this time... I'll find out tomorrow if the weather isn't too bad.

Photo052.jpg

rightSignal_on2.jpg

I got it!

I finally got it working right. All I did was swap the brake switch wire to the terminals for the flasher wires and vice versa for the flashers.

Took it for a first drive... I'm so excited!!!!!!

turn signals

sneaky snake, im having same trouble with brake turn, on your last diagram you show a curly wire going across ciol terminals, is this a wire i need to install or is it inside the relay? im really having fits , i am not going to have hazzards, got a diagram for that? thanks in advance for any help,

john

sneaky snake, im having same trouble with brake turn, on your last diagram you show a curly wire going across ciol terminals, is this a wire i need to install or is it inside the relay? im really having fits , i am not going to have hazzards, got a diagram for that? thanks in advance for any help,

john

Everything in the box is part of the relay. They are 'double pole, double throw' relays. Basically they'll look like a box with 8 connectors sticking out.

john

Yes the "curly" is the magnetic coil inside the relays. I had to make a relay pack like this on mine because the wiring harness I used had seperate brake and signals but I wanted to use a single bulb so to prevent back feed and cross over I put my taillights on relays.

Latest posts

Back