How cold is it

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning it was -32c 60 k wind blowing they say that is -52 windchill. I had a 2ft snow drift outside the gate I had to reach over to move a little so I could get my fat body out to finish shoveling. By the time I got to the shop I was frozen.

-35°C (-31°F) this morning, finally got up to -26°C (-15°F) now.

Unfortunately last night on my way home from work I needed to fill up a tire in the cold and in just a few minutes ended up with frostbite on both hands. I should have had proper gloves. Lived here all my life, never had frostbite like this. Complacency is not a good idea.

-35°C (-31°F) this morning, finally got up to -26°C (-15°F) now.

Unfortunately last night on my way home from work I needed to fill up a tire in the cold and in just a few minutes ended up with frostbite on both hands. I should have had proper gloves. Lived here all my life, never had frostbite like this. Complacency is not a good idea.

Damn Snopro are your hands going to be OK?

It turns out that Steamboat is just west of the coldest temps in Colorado. We were -9F this morning while Denver was -20F. Later in the day it warmed up to about +3F. I'm not sure of the high in Denver though. We're going to Denver on Saturday and it's supposed to be 50 F.

Last night was cold, so cold that the furnace in the car garage quit working. Propane becomes totally liquid and won't gas off at really cold temperatures. I had to thaw the tank out.
Anyhow, when I got up this morning I checked the thermometer to see if I should put my long underwear on. Yep, it was -47*C or -54*F.

Attachments

• IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 10
I think the lowest temps I`ve ever experienced would be -20C -something...
What kind of fuel do you use up there to keep the house warm? No heat would be deadly pretty quick... :rolleyes:

Damn Snopro are your hands going to be OK?

It turns out that Steamboat is just west of the coldest temps in Colorado. We were -9F this morning while Denver was -20F. Later in the day it warmed up to about +3F. I'm not sure of the high in Denver though. We're going to Denver on Saturday and it's supposed to be 50 F.

Yeah, hopefully after a week give or take. Everywhere on my hand where I was touching the metal inflator my fingers are beginning to blister. Yesterday 3 digits on my right hand were swollen to where I could barely bend them. All day it felt like someone was holding my hand to a hot stove. The pain and swelling are going down but the healing will take a bit. Luckily it looks like it will fully heal. Either warm or cool on my hand feels much more extreme than it is currently.

I think the lowest temps I`ve ever experienced would be -20C -something...
What kind of fuel do you use up there to keep the house warm? No heat would be deadly pretty quick... :rolleyes:

Most homes here are heated by natural gas piped to your home. In more remote areas, propane is sometimes used. Propane is often used as a fuel for detached shops, etc.

Last edited:
A balmy 10* here this morning. Wind chills in the minus category. We’re not accustomed to temps like this down here.

Snopro, take care of yourself. Sounds painful.

Dutch, Snopro's right, most people have natural gas piped in. Quite a while ago, when the gas company was digging in a line to the neighbours place I walked over and asked them if I could get the gasline run across the county road and in my driveway, while they were right there with their equipment. The foreman was ignorant and arrogant and quoted me an extremely high price and told me to put my name on the list for four months in the future, probably. ---- I turned cranky. Therefore I still burn diesel in my house and shop furnaces. The attached car garage has propane heat.
PS. I'm sitting on a sea of natural gas, and have twelve wells on my farm.

OK OK turn the fans off...:D I took a trip outside a little bit ago. 28F at 1:30am. Hurriedly covered a couple plants I didn't get to while the day was up. Got a fire going in the fireplace too...

8* here this morning. I don’t see how you northern guys survive in these temps.
We might get above freezing tomorrow for a bit, then Monday it starts warming up back toward normal. 60’s by next weekend![cl

It's cold enough to freeze something off someone's something.:D

She's not getting above zero f for the high that last few days.

Latest posts

Back