how safe is this... flipped frame on front suspension

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to work fine. There was a Chrysler Hot Rod that was in a lot of the mags which had a flipped frame. My shoebox Ford has a flipped mono spring in the rear to get it low. Its also bagged. The only problem is limited travel in that configuration.

That thing has a lot of problems! It's only got about an inch of ground clearance. You wouldn't be able to drive it that low without bottoming out.

That was what I was seeing. Scrub line? In a world where nothing ever goes wrong, it would be fine. :rolleyes:

That would never make it over a parking lot speed bump, or have a flat while driving and things could get hairy.What looks good, isnt always practical.

Seems to work fine. There was a Chrysler Hot Rod that was in a lot of the mags which had a flipped frame. My shoebox Ford has a flipped mono spring in the rear to get it low. Its also bagged. The only problem is limited travel in that configuration.

Do you mean your axle is sitting on top of the spring or your spring is upside down with the axle on top of it . Never could fig out how this upside down spring can work . seems to me when the wheel hits a bump and goes up it will pull the spring up with it . there seems to be no way that will soften the ride .

yeah I have to agree.. I see many problems with the build...

Unless you run a spring that is made to be a reverse arch then it isnt going to work well at all. And the frame needs to be made as an under slung unit. This one doesnt look like it would ba able to be driven on the road at all. Fair ground cruiser at best. [S

Sadly that car is how most of the rodding world views "rat rods". And the builder there is just giving them more proof! That 34 is terrible![S

Do you mean your axle is sitting on top of the spring or your spring is upside down with the axle on top of it . Never could fig out how this upside down spring can work . seems to me when the wheel hits a bump and goes up it will pull the spring up with it . there seems to be no way that will soften the ride .
The spring is flipped and the axle is on top. The ride is the same except for the aforementioned travel limit. When the car had ladder bars, the travel was 10". With the flipped mono spring, travel is only 4". You only notice it on bad dip or potholes.

Latest posts

Back