how to lower

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R_CK_R

As some of you may know, I don't have much experience with american cars, especially with the old ones... Just bought my first one and I want to know a lot of things about it.

My question now is: Whats the easiest way to lower a car? I don't know if mine has got coil springs, but if it has them, i don't wnat to cut them off. There must be another way to lower it...
I also don't want it to scratch on the ground it just has to be a little bit lower 'cause I think it would look much cooler :cool:

Thanks

Why don't you want to cut the springs? It is in fact the easiest way to lower the front of your car unless you use those clamps that squeeze the spring coils together. In the rear, lowering blocks would be the easiest way to drop it. Especially since you are just looking for a minor lowering job. This is my own opinion of course.

Gastrick is right, cut half a coil off to start and put blocks on the rear. You might find some springs that will fit and lower it a little, but for a car like your Olds you can pretty much bet no one is making lowering springs for it, just not enough demand.

As long as you don't go crazy in how much you cut off, or heat the spirngs to let them sag, the ride quality will still be fine.

Don

but if i cut the coils and anyone finds out (cops for example) i`m in really big trouble and have to pay a lot penalty (thats germany)
where can i get such blocks? are there different hights i can choose?
where do i have to install them?

i just want it to go a little bit lower, not very much.

Lowering blocks come in about any size you would want!
2 to 6 or so inches! You would probably want 2 inch! They
go between the spring perch and spring on the rear!! You will
also need longer U bolts! It will be a noticable change though!
If you cut the spring in the front, it could be hidden with
a little engenuity!! Paint, dirt so forth!!
To make it lower in the rear without seeing a mod. you could
de-arch the springs, little more involved though!!

BTW just about any American Speed shops sell lowering blocks!!

once i cut the coil springs of my mercedes s-class and was always afraid of beeing stopped by the police...
but i have to say, the car was very low (cut just the front coils)

i think my olds could be the only one in germany so maybe nobody will nootice if its a little bit lower than original...

Attachments

• 916b6fc6.l.jpg
    916b6fc6.l.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 19
One old trick used in the("good ol days") was to
weigh down the back! As in putting 3 or 4 hundred
pounds in the trunk! Not very safe nor good for mpg
though!!

okay... i think i`m gonna look for such lowering blocks for the back and maybe those clamps that squeeze the spring coils together in the front.

anybody knows a shop where i can buy such things?
i don`t even know one :confused:

(i thought i`m pretty good informed about old american cars, but i learn a lot here [cl)

Call me an idiot or just someone who is very budget friendly lol

If you remove leafs, you can essentially just cut those leafs in which you removed and modify them into being your lowering blocks... Sure, you then lose the option of going back to stock height (adding the leafs back) but its a cheap option, it's what I did on my build...

The plate your refering to in that illustration seems to be just the plate in which the U-bolts go through to mount. You should be able to use the stock one, I might be wrong though?

ok thanks :)

do you think this universal lowering block kit would be good for what i want to do?

then i just have to find a solution for the front...

Yes, thats the way most mildly lowered cars you
see are done!! I'm with the other guy's I would cut
the front springs! You can hide the cuts if you use
a few tricks!!

Latest posts

Back