how to lower

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but if i cut them, is it save to drive?
and can't the coils spring out?

i know from my mercedes, it had a very big retainer for the coil springs so it was no problem to drive it...

If you only want to drop it a small amount, there will still be
tension on the spring, they won't fall out!! As stated above
start with just cutting a half turn, then put it back together
and see if thats enough! After that, I would cut just a
quarter turn at a time, to make sure you don't go too far!!
Good luck!!

oh i can remember my benz... first i cut out one turn and nothing really happend to the hight... so i cut another turn and it was almost too low then... (it was 7cm ca. 3" lower)

i found that when i cut a spring i needed to put it back together and bounce on the front bumper a few times or drive it for a few miles to seat the springs. it may just be me but i have cut some and it didn't lower it and then cut to much, so take your time.

i found that when i cut a spring i needed to put it back together and bounce on the front bumper a few times or drive it for a few miles to seat the springs. it may just be me but i have cut some and it didn't lower it and then cut to much, so take your time.

Troadster is right drive it a little before you cut any more off, it makes a big difference.

Can I ask why the hell you would get in trouble for lowering your your car? Why would you get in trouble for CUTTING the springs?[S:confused:

Can I ask why the hell you would get in trouble for lowering your your car? Why would you get in trouble for CUTTING the springs?[S:confused:

`cause the original springs (of every car) are specially made for the car, so they have the best strenght to "hold" it. but if you cut them off, nobody would guarantee that the strength of the springs is enough anymore.
(normally its no problem with the strenght if you cut off the springs)

but here in germany every car has to go to a technical inspection every two years and if they find out that i cut the springs i don`t pass and i´m not longer allowed to drive on the street till i install new (original) coils.

and thereby that my olds is an oldtimer (in germany it has special conditions) they are very strict with originality...
but i got a special man who makes the technical inspections, i think he never saw such a car before thats why i have to do all changes before i go to the technical inspection and hope that he don`t know what the car looked when it was original...
(thats why i want to lower it just a little)

we are also not allowed to make changes at the frame or any other weight-bearing part of a car.. if i could i`d lower it till it scratches on the ground :cool:

Latest posts

Back