How to remove steering column from box on '52 Ford F1?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd need to open up the box. Not sure what years this diagram is for...
fserie50.gif

EDIT: Unless you know what your doing, disassembly is probably a bad idea.

QUOTE :Unless you know what your doing, disassembly is probably a bad idea

Good advice especialy if you plan to re-use the steering box [S

take the floor pan up around the shaft of the column and take the pitman arm off, unbolt it from the frame!, only way to do it with out taking the box apart. the shaft doesnt disconnect, ! been there done that!

Alright. I was trying to see if there was a quicker way to get the steering off so I could take the cab off and put the steering back on so I can steer it out of the garage. I'll just pull the box. Thanks!

You can steer it with the box off as the tires will about stay in the position you put them in unless you hit a bump o run over something, go slow and have a helper on each side to push-kick the tire in the direction you want it to go, you can put a chain in a pipe and hook the 2 vehicles together for power. This will lock them together as 1. Also you can jack up the front of the truck enough to get str. Box assm back on. Steering sectors are timmed and if you dont knw hw to get them in time again and you take it apart you,ll have to replace it. You can cut the steerng shaft and reweld it also with a reinfocing outer sleeve too. I,ve done a bunch of corvair boxes this way with 0 problems.

removing column

is their anywhere on the web that might show removing the column. I have the same problem. I want to use the box but not the column itself. how about can i solve this problem?thanks

Alright. I was trying to see if there was a quicker way to get the steering off so I could take the cab off and put the steering back on so I can steer it out of the garage. I'll just pull the box. Thanks!

If you are just trying to get the cab off the frame. Remove the wheel unbolt it from the dash, Take the the pan off the floor that around the column and take the three bolt out that holds the box to the frame. That way it will rotate and you can left the cab and side it back till the column clears.

If it column shift and its still hook to the trans you will have to disconnect the arms.

Then just bolt it back to the frame and but the wheel back on.

The column tube comes off with the clamp at the box, which leaves the shaft sticking up there. You can take the end plate off the box and take the shaft out the bottom.

BOX

is their anywhere on the web that might show removing the column. I have the same problem. I want to use the box but not the column itself. how about can i solve this problem?thanks

If you are going to use the box, do not take it apart. Saw the column off and reattach with a Borgeson joint.

If you want power steering, you can use an 84-86 Toyota 4 wheel drive box.

pm me if you want more info.

Shakey

Latest posts

Back