Howdy.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogers_68

I found this site by way of searching how to do a rattle can paint job on my '71 VW bus. The paint that's on it currently is chipped and I've had to do a couple of rust/dent repairs. I'm just not real excited about the idea of an expensive, "perfect" paint job. I've always loved rat rods and am trying to learn how to paint it like one this summer. I've lots of great things on this site so far. See you around!

-Justin

I need to get some pictures, I agree. I've been fixing some recent body damage and I always tell myself I should take before and afters.

Thanks for the greetings. So you guys around.

-Justin

Okay, I finally have some pictures. This is my double cab, which is my favorite. I drive it everywhere and yes, I make my wife ride in the middle of the bench seat. (She humors me because she's cool like that. :rolleyes:) I've thought that having it lowered would look cool. I've also thought about repainting it primer gray with red wheels, but I actually like the paint colors a lot. And the rust, too. :D

Krusty1.jpg

Krusty2.jpg

Krusty3.jpg

Krusty4.jpg

And here's the bus. This last winter I:
*removed all of the Bondo and rust bubbles,
*sanded the existing crappy paint job,
*painted it with Rustoleum using rollers,
*scrounged together some cabinets,
*made a pull-out bench seat/bed out of scrap wood, and
*made the roof rack out of 2x4s, and an awning out of a tarp and some rope.
Now it's our family camper and we (wife, 3yo son and I) love it. I like the color scheme a lot but I had to rush the painting because the good weather was coming on. If I do it again I'll either do the same colors, only in satin. I took the VW logo off of the front to put on the double cab and I replaced it with a metal sign that says "Genuine JUNK Parts." I attached it using toggle bolts and caulking (to keep out the water).

Helga1.jpg

Helga2.jpg

Helga3.jpg

Helga4.jpg

I realize neither of these are really "rods" but I'm trying to slowly give them of the "rat" personality. I'm open to any suggestions. :) I'd love to have some pinstriping done, especially on the pickup. It has a very rusty bed. I plan to treat the rust but I may or may not paint over it. Most of the rear floorboard is rotted but the frame and most of the body work is in good shape.

Lovin' that doublecab, Rogers. Met a single cab ( probably a '68 ) on my way home from work tonight. As an ex-VW owner I'm glad to see that kinda stuff.

Thanks, man. I love it, too. Most of the original interior is there. There are some cancerous rust areas here and there but overall it's pretty solid. I don't know yet if I want to leave it as-is or if I want to start customizing it by giving it the primer look, messing with the interior, et cetera.

Latest posts

Back