I Agree

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

He was an Icon. Jim

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 18-43-45 Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 18-43-45 Instagram.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 38
I agree, but, I'm putting less and less horsepower in my builds. I never use it. Why pay for gas to haul around that extra HP and never use it? I ask my friends with high horsepower cars how many seconds a week they actually "get on it". In today's world you can't floor a 1000 HP car for more than a few seconds without going incredibly fast and endangering yourself and others.

Bob, that's the reason I switched out the ole big block and installed a LS3 in my goat.
I've driven it more in the last three months than I had in the last 10 years.

Exactly why when I bought my roadster and a friend asked me if I was going to put big power in it, I responded "Why?". Light truck, not much weight in the rear, close to 300 hp will be enough.

Talked to a guy that just finished building the same truck (28 Roadster Pickup) at Deuce Days last year. His had a pretty wild 327, close to 400 hp. Guy was about my age and was a longtime hot rodder too. He cautioned: "Don't put too much power in it, this is too much."

In my Quality Engineering days we worked to a philosophy of, "Fitness for use". Design and build to fit the consumer's expectations, and maybe a little bit more. In hot rodding some people want to go to extremes. That's fine. Just a different expectation.
Before a person builds or buys a hot rod it would be wise to write down what you expect it to be/do. "I want my hot rod to: (fill in the blanks)". You'll soon realize there are trade offs.

In my Quality Engineering days we worked to a philosophy of, "Fitness for use". Design and build to fit the consumer's expectations, and maybe a little bit more. In hot rodding some people want to go to extremes. That's fine. Just a different expectation.
Before a person builds or buys a hot rod it would be wise to write down what you expect it to be/do. "I want my hot rod to: (fill in the blanks)". You'll soon realize there are trade offs.

I've seen a lot of guys chase the "more power" bandwagon and learn first hand of the trade offs. Cooling, breaking driveline parts, insufficient fueling, etc. Like you said, figure out what you want it to do. Most people just want to drive from point A to B and look and sound cool while feeling kind of fast. You don't need huge amounts of power to do that.

Latest posts

Back