International L122 B Binder Rat Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the UPS man strikes again! :D
Got my exhaust tubing to start building my grill shell.
Just got 3 90's and 2 45's.
Stupid me for thinking it would be easy to make these pieces look good!
Started with something like this
b2d02f07.jpg

Trying to find a good aesthetic angle
8675b87b.jpg

Built a quick jig to keep it all straight
ca6ecfd0.jpg

Round 1 fail!
It's too big and doesn't have any character
552895ee.jpg

Ended up narrowing it 4", then shortening it 3" then angleing the top down 10 degrees
007544bc.jpg

Looks great I think.
623cd46b.jpg

b3b4b93d.jpg

The extra piece of tube on the bottom is for an easy spot to place the weld clamp to.

That was going to be my next question :eek:
The grille is looking sweet! You nailed the shape and proportions :cool:

[P[P[P

Thanks! It's got a long ways to go. I am going to grind all the welds then sheet the sides with 18 gauge.
The only think I'm worried about is the top. I have a feeling it's going to look too flat like the kitchen table [S
Really looking forward to getting the copper in there! I think it's going to really tie it all together then.

Might be wrong of me to say but that first pic of yer tubing you showed i kinda noticed yer legs are extremely hairy. Lol. RR

Might be wrong of me to say but that first pic of yer tubing you showed i kinda noticed yer legs are extremely hairy. Lol. RR

HA HA HA HA!!M I needed a good laugh this morning! [P

They are hairy, and WHITE! And sometimes I think their a little skinny. And my toe nails are gross! And I get nasty callis's on the bottoms of my feet! But hey, I can run really fast!

HA HA HA HA!!M I needed a good laugh this morning! [P

They are hairy, and WHITE! And sometimes I think their a little skinny. And my toe nails are gross! And I get nasty callis's on the bottoms of my feet! But hey, I can run really fast!

LOL..too funny..

I like the grill so far..looking good

Don't know if you got the radiator problem sorted out - turn it sideways will work, but not as efficiently.

As for the top of your grille looking flat, get some 3-5" exhaust pipe and slice it into quarter rounds. Then place one piece per top side so the full curve is in the middle and it tapers to the outside. Then weld flat sheet to that. Make any sense? You'd want something to hide the center seam.

Don't know if you got the radiator problem sorted out - turn it sideways will work, but not as efficiently.

As for the top of your grille looking flat, get some 3-5" exhaust pipe and slice it into quarter rounds. Then place one piece per top side so the full curve is in the middle and it tapers to the outside. Then weld flat sheet to that. Make any sense? You'd want something to hide the center seam.

Dang. Read your post after I started on sheeting the grill :eek:
I really like your idea and it would have worked pretty well :(

As for the radiator problem, I told my buddy that refused to weld it up for me that I acknowledge his reality, but I substitute my own :)
He will be welding it up for me this weekend [cl

Started sheeting the sides tonight.
As mentioned above, the big flat top is odd since there is nothing else on the truck that's flat. I think I'll use some 3/4" tube and weld it down the center then feather it out with thin strips of sheet metal to break it up.

Here's the progress
e4d95db9.jpg

c46cbde2.jpg

8fb9eadd.jpg

9ba509d8.jpg

b64aeb53.jpg

It seems a little big in the photos but in person it looks alright I guess.
Seems a little too square but I think once I get the copper vertical bars in, it'll give it more dimension.

It's still mounted a little high and about 2" too far back but while I had it mounted at the right angle I wanted to sheet it.
I'll be using the sides for the mounts. (how do these normally mount?)

I also left a bunch on the top so I'm free to design it however it fits. It seems I won't have much room to tie it into the air cleaner with 1 single bar, but I'll figure something out. Wish I had a better way to cleanly bend this tube [;)

Really diggin' the scoop and grille!! You are flyin right along on this!!! Nice work bro!!! Can wait to see it finished!!! [cl

Thanks!
I've suddenly gotten an endless supply of motivation for some reason and I don't know why.......butmim going to take full advantage of it while it's here :D
I think the forum has had a part in that:cool:

Thanks!
I've suddenly gotten an endless supply of motivation for some reason and I don't know why.......but im going to take full advantage of it while it's here :D
I think the forum has had a part in that:cool:

Yeah I get that once in a while too!! I think you may be right about that! The guys on here have a way of gettin ya stoked about gettin to the next level with things :)

lookin good! Now you have to knock those front body mounts off and taper the frame rails for a cleaner look...[;)

Latest posts

Back