International L122 B Binder Rat Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
windshield frame

Wow, that thing is taking on a nice 'sinister' look [ddd I like what you've done with the two piece windshield, I've thought about doing a thick post like that in my Willys but yours really fits the truck.........goes nicely with the back glass. Glad to see you making progress[cl[cl

what will use for the windshield frame?

Ok ok I'm caught up. Just completed the read after pretty much a full day. Very cool build. Learned a few things which is never a bad thing. Only one question, your last post was last year, what's happening man. Did I miss the "and then I sold it" post or what?
Subscribed and waiting on more 'build candy'

Wow! Your motivated! That's a long read :D

No, truck hasn't sold. Had many offers as it's currently front yard art at the moment.
Life has gotten in the way. Daughter, who's now almost two (time flys!!!), a couple job changes purely by choice, and now dealing with my mother who was diagnosed with returning cancer has all kept me on my toes. A have also been building a chopper for a buddy. I swore to myself that I'd finish I is ride before pulling the truck back in. I don't want his project to go by the way side due to my ADD. Can't focus on less than 50 things at a time and I'd be working more on the RR more then his bike.
So it's sitting.
But I'm getting really fired up to get back on it again.
In fact, I'm about half tempted to toss in a 4bt into the truck........... No thanks to you :rolleyes:

Wow, it's really ironic that you finally updated this thread.....I read it all about a month ago, then this morning I was reading the short version on the 68-72 Chevy page and was hoping it would get updated either place soon!

Reason being, I just got started last week on my 1950 International L-112. I've got a long way to go, it's in rough shape, but my goal is 3.5 years lol. Couple questions though, how do the doors come off and is the roof detachable???

Wow, it's really ironic that you finally updated this thread.....I read it all about a month ago, then this morning I was reading the short version on the 68-72 Chevy page and was hoping it would get updated either place soon!

Reason being, I just got started last week on my 1950 International L-112. I've got a long way to go, it's in rough shape, but my goal is 3.5 years lol. Couple questions though, how do the doors come off and is the roof detachable???

HA! If your initial goal is 3.5 years, might as well triple that now, just to be safe. Rather beat a goal rather than completely blow it out of the water with WAAAYYY more time than initially expected :rolleyes:

The doors- You'll see two large rods hinged on the jamb. Inside the door panel there is a large nut on each of these. Loosen the nut on the inside and pull the door off. There is also a large washer under the nut. Don't loose it.
The doors are really light but brace yourself when you loosen them.
I don't know how to take the actual hinge off the inside og the jamb on the cab side. I removed all the bolts "holding" the plates to the jamb but nothing budged, even with the weight of the doors on them. Those are secured in some other form as well that I haven't figured out.

The roof can be removed, but in doing so, you also remove the rear wall and back 3/4's of the door jambs too.
Up where the sun visor would be, all the way across the roof line, there are a number of pockets. Inside the pockets are 1/2" or 9/16" bolts. Remove all those first.
Next, move to the back of the cab at the bottom of the floor area outside. Again, you'll see a number of bolts across the bottom lip. Remove all those too.
The drip rails have a splice at the top front corner of the doors. They applied led in these rails to seal them. You'll break this free as you lift the roof assembly away.
I used a cherry picker/engine hoist to strap through the inside of the cab to support it as I pulled the few remaining bolts. The roof/back wall of cab is very awkward for one person to try to control. Safety first is what they say.
on one of these pages, you'll see where I have the whole roof line pealed back and laying on the bed as I worked in the transmission hump inside the cab. It was just easier to do that when working on the hump than fight low light ad space inside.

Hopefully that helps.......now on to searching for your build thread :D

Well my cab is almost totally apart at that center beltline anyway.....it's rough! Lol.

I wasn't goin to start a build thread yet BUT I guess I will since you prodded me to a little AND because my phone is full of pics and I've been working on it all evening.

How do you do that sweet Brassing? I've searched and searched with little to no luck lol.

How's this for a late reply [S

Heat the metal, while brushing with brass brush. Gotta make sure the bristles are real brass,not steel coated in brass.
My stuff has been in the weather for quite some time and its greening up just like real brass.......guess that's because it is.
I don't know how well it would hold up to consistent use like handles, since it's just a thin coat.

So remember that ADD thing I mentioned?
Thinking of going a different direction.......again.
What do you guys think of 4bt 3.9 L 4 cylinder cummins?

Good motor. Heavy. Not a ton of power. Most guys just step up to a 6bt.

Good motor. Heavy. Not a ton of power. Most guys just step up to a 6bt.

Have room for 4bt, no where enough for 6bt.
Daily driver is a 500 HP 6bt so looking for a "little brother". I know stock were talking 150hp roughly, so onjectors and maybe compounds will wake the little fella up.
My 03 ram is all computer tuned.....and slightly larger turbo, so I'm liking the idea of all mechanical.

How's this for a late reply [S

Heat the metal, while brushing with brass brush. Gotta make sure the bristles are real brass,not steel coated in brass.
My stuff has been in the weather for quite some time and its greening up just like real brass.......guess that's because it is.
I don't know how well it would hold up to consistent use like handles, since it's just a thin coat.

Haha, it's ok....I haven't done much lately either. SOOOO.....how hot? And what do you use? Rosebud, brazing head, cutting head....electric heater?!?!

BTW: I'd love to have the 4BT for mine. Guys want to much $$$ for them around here. I've got options for 292 L6 chevy, 322 Buick nailhead OR a full roller SBC

Haha, it's ok....I haven't done much lately either. SOOOO.....how hot? And what do you use? Rosebud, brazing head, cutting head....electric heater?!?!

BTW: I'd love to have the 4BT for mine. Guys want to much $$$ for them around here. I've got options for 292 L6 chevy, 322 Buick nailhead OR a full roller SBC

I just started heating and rubbing till brass transferred. Not super hot, but hot enough to make transfer.
I found the finer bristle brush you use, the better the transfer is.
I used a plumbers soldering torch with mapp gas.
I'd be hesitant on using anything much more aggressive than than for fear of warping or melting the base metal.
There's a video of some strange Cosplay guy doing it to a sword or something. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Yeah, the 4bt's are pricey, but their also bulletproof. I feel the chances of ever blowing one up would be rather unlikely, unless I turn it up too far. But diesels are way too fun not to get into, and really easy to understand.
The 4bt shares almost all parts to the 12 valve 6bt. Injectors, pistons, everything that doesn't rely on 6 cylinders. Injection pumps, cranks, cams won't swap but that's okay.
I pulled a Holstat HE35 off my 03 that would lite a 4bt up pretty well with some bigger sticks.

I think I'd opt for a running/driving bread truck to be the donor that way I could snag everything needed. Would,love an intercooled one, but not sure I have the room for an intercoller and radiator.
But I could use the entire fuel system, engine, maybe the trans but I'm doubting hearing would be right. Would prefer an auto so the lady could drive, so I can snag one of those out of a dodge.

I'm already so far out of the $3k club it doesn't really matter anyways :)

C

Here Ya go
http://youtu.be/mFK9H4AG_Ww

This reminds me, get a brass brush with wooden handle.....NOT plastic. Plastic will melt and you'll loose all the bristles. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

I had a hard time finding the brush locally (Home Depot and harbor freight are steel coated in brass)
I think I ended up buying online and even that took a lot of communication asking sellers if it was real brass or not. It was amazing had no idea what they were selling. Darn middlemen.
I found jeweler supply places were best.

Latest posts

Back