International L122 B Binder Rat Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, i picked up a cheap 350 block that'll get used in the truck.

Speaking of engine, can i pick your guys brains on how to mock up the engine?!

I am moving the engine back in the chassis about 10", so completly new custom motor mounts are in order.
Im thinking of using a 2x4 box tubing and cutting it up to the angles the factory cross member has so i can use the factory motor mounts on the 68 350.

This will provide the lower mount point for the motor mounts, then ill make some large tabs off the frame (after o box the front section) for the top 2 bolts.

Question is, what is a good way to ge the engine into the compartment and secured tightly so i can use that to get my measurements for the new crossmember? I have the engine hoist which is nice and all, but illl need to asjust the engine angle left and right as well as front and back, and obviously the height.

Any ideas?

I've used screw jacks in the past. With the oil pan off put a screw jack at each corner of the engine and place as close as possible to where it should be. Then you inch it left and right, forward and back to get the placement and the screw jacks will take care of the engine angle.

I'm sure there are several other ways that it can be done. I've seen guys use a lot of wood blocks and stuff like that as well.

Attachments

• 1-SPEC.jpg
    1-SPEC.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 34
I've used screw jacks in the past. With the oil pan off put a screw jack at each corner of the engine and place as close as possible to where it should be. Then you inch it left and right, forward and back to get the placement and the screw jacks will take care of the engine angle.

I'm sure there are several other ways that it can be done. I've seen guys use a lot of wood blocks and stuff like that as well.

SEE! I knew someone would have an easy concept that my brain was making WAY to complicated!
Thats a great idea! I read your post on my phone which didnt show the pictures. Now that i se your photo on the computer, im beating myself in the head for not comming up with that!

THANKS A TON!!![cl[cl[cl[cl

sweet build, short and low i dig it

Thanks! Thats the goal! I want this thing to sit as low as i can. When parked, it cant go any lower without digging a hole :p

To the rest of the board:

What is everyones experiance with a good ride height? Im working with a 126" wheel base. I was thinking i want the frame below the cab to be about 6" off the ground. But now im thinking that might be overkill. Would 4" be too low?

Obviously, my favorite look is when its aired out and laying frame parked, but i gotta make the thing look rad screaming down the street too [cl

I am building my frame 6" off the ground under the cab, (the lowest section)
I have a 6" "Z" in the frame, (looks like a lot of "Z" but my front axle sets high.

I will set the cab equal to the bottom of the frame.
So the cab and frame will be equal to my scrub line.

I will have the front part of the frame rails out over the front axle in case the bags blow out....

I am building it so I can lower the cab even more if I want later using thinner body mounts.

I initially mocked everything at 5" but I thought it seemed too low for our PA potholes.

I will get some pictures when it gets above 10 Deg. here in the pothole state.

Maybe none of this made sense... It barely does to me...

Don

Well, since most of the major parts were set in place, i decided to push it outside to get a good overall look of it. Im liking it where it is but i think now that i have the bed on, i might section the cab 3 inches or so. I have plenty of headroom inside so thats really not an issue.
I dunno. I need you guy's opinion. Does it look good how it is or could the cab look better with 3 inches taken out of it?

Attachments

• 88.jpg
    88.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 89.jpg
    89.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 90.jpg
    90.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 91.jpg
    91.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 180
Chalk one vote up for No section :eek:
Keep em coming guys!

Im torn between doing and not doing it.

For the record earthman, the thing is pretty long. 126" wheelbase and obviously the entire truck is quite a bit longer then that @ 188"
But i like that long low look. It carries over from my sytle of motorcycles i like. Pro Street. [cl

Another vote to not section. It's long enough and low enough already. It's going to be an impressive ride.

Don't section it. The current stance is great.

Could you create the "illusion" of a sectioned cab by raising the air cleaner?

Im actually kinda surprised at all the no section votes. Sounds like ill leave it alone. The main reason i was wanting to section it was cause the bed looked small in compairison. I was thinking if i dont section it, maybe i could build some old grey wood bed sides for it. Just to give the bed a little more mass.
Something like this:

Attachments

• sood sides.jpg
    sood sides.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 59
with the wheel base it looks good, if the wheel base was shorted then section it, btw what wheels are those?

The wheels are 20x8 rims from 07 dodge ram 1500's. They are the spare tires you find under the bed of the trucks running the Hemi with the 20" chrome wheels.

I wanted a larger wheel but nothing fancy, so this fits the bill.
I saw a guy who filled all the holes around the wheels and made them smoothies. I think that would look pretty sweet. Kinda a mix between old school and new school.

I want to put some smoothy hub caps on these wheels. Im looking fore some that use the lugs to mount the cap. Anyone have any ideas on where to fine those? Bolt pattern is 5 on 5.5.

I agree with you jmlcolorado, I was thinking that if you can afford to lose the space in the cab, a section would look great with the short bed.

I like the idea building something that looks cartoon smashed or inoperable :-D

-Chaz

I agree with you jmlcolorado, I was thinking that if you can afford to lose the space in the cab, a section would look great with the short bed.

I like the idea building something that looks cartoon smashed or inoperable :-D

-Chaz

Im glad im not the only weirdo :)
I could take some room out of the cab. But with everyones input, i think ill spend my time getting the bad boy on the road, then asses it for the next year. Next winter im sure to want to add/change/remove/rig some parts, and at that time if i feel it really needs the section, ill do it then.

Latest posts

Back