is this traditional or a rat rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah i was gonna change this or that to fit in some shows,but the one guy was right why change something if you like it the way it is,i mean your car is just another version of you so im doing what i like and the heck with every body else, had to keep it clean ya know,kool site here really like what im hearing

geneo, ya got a really nice little rod there, i wouldn't worry about those shows and the "rules",- b/c those rules seem to change like the weather!

i like the e-man's thoughts, and that is my plan for my old truck, just DRIVE it to the shows, park close enuf to the action to get a little attention;), and look at all the cars i want --for free:D

I went to a local car show,a couple of years ago, Lion's Club sponsored I think, and there were cars, trucks, bikes, you name it from 2007 back to the 20's. No classes, no rules. There was a guy there with a homemade trike with a dual quad equipped 460 Ford. It was actually a rat trike in my book. Now what class would he have been in?? (the "crazy" one?) These small town car clubs and shows are a whole bunch more fun than the big city "what class does it fit in" shows. Personally, I don't give a rat's $$$ if they let mine in a show or not. It's mine and nobody is going to tell me how to build it. Thanks. BTW, the guy with the 460 trike said he had to let off at 170 mph. It got a little "shakey".:D

.... the guy with the 460 trike said he had to let off at 170 mph. It got a little "shakey".:D

Phhht....I bet it woulda calmed down by 180. :eek:

You'll see it here a lot: "Build what you want, it's your ride." It's kinda the rat rodders mantra or credo.

I agree with Eman & the rest. I enjoy car shows. I know what I like. ALMOST anything with wheels. I may not care for someones ride but , I don't trashtalk, badmouth or label it. If it's not stock, it's a hotrod.

I drive what I like. If it doesn't fit in a certain show, oh well I drove mine to see the others. I'm cool with that.;)

BTW you have one sweet hotrod brother, enjoy it![cl

I made it in to Symco last year with a traditional style hotrod, and into the hunnert car pileup also. This year Symco is having a VIP area for those cars that they deem have the wrong wheels, too much billet, IRS or IFS, etc. etc. most of the time you can make it thru the rules with simple fixes - or just go to the VIP area, just as many cool rides and people - and much cheaper!

Nice car.

Car shows with lots of exclusive rules are unnecessarily mucking with the main point of this pastime. Exclusivity rules out otherwise interesting modes of automotive expression, which is tepid thinking at best, and blatantly dumb at its worst. [S

I don't go to a lot of highly organized car shows for those reasons - I favour the "Heinz 57" gatherings. As this thread highlights, variety is the spice of life. Too many rules = politics = lack of fun.

My buddy pokes fun at the rat/traditional groups. He is a muscle car/custom classic guy. He always laughs at how particular some of our groups are. Like mentioned earlier, to me, it is the "build whatever you want and not give a poo what other peoples opinions are" mindset. He used to stick his nose up at rats/traditionals but is starting to really enjoy or be interested in my project.

You have killer ride, who cares what others think.

Firstly,,,,you have one sweet rod there, geneo. [dr
Nextly,,, too many shows have way too many rules. Always thought our hobby was about building what YOU want for YOU. Have come to prefer the local shows/cruises because of the variety. You don't have to like the next guy's style. Just appreciate what it took for him to build it his/her way.
Lastly,,,,, like the others have said ,,,park it near the registration tent & check out the looks it gets.

The rules don't bother me. But you ought to have some real idea what the rules really mean. Billet, here is a good one. I have heard cast aluminum pieces refered to as billet. It's not. Now I may be wrong, won't be the first time, but billet is a chunk of aluminum that is machined into the part, usually cnc. They were casting aluminum pieces back in the 40's and I am sure eariler. Traditional, here's another one. A model a 2 inches off the ground, secioned so the rear tires are above the deck lid ain't traditional. I don't care what engine, or what paint. I haven't seen 1 vintage magazine or photo with a car like that. Most of the lakes cars weren't that low. Now if you are running the show, make whatever rules you want. But define your rules, and define your terms. I know what billet is, traditional, but you tell me before hand what your show thinks it is. And if I go to a traditional show, those period correct cars, better have vintage n.o.s air in those tires.....[ddev And actually if you are talking 40's and early 50's lakes cars and such, they adamently would tell you, that "We Are NOT Hot Rodders". Hot rods were driven recklessly by a bunch of kids, giving them a bad name. So it's all relative. I heard a term used the other day in a post somewhere and it describes my truck "Odd Rod" I actually like it. So maybe the thing to do is get all the people together that don't qualify for the show, get together in the parking lot and make an impromtu show that more interesting than the show inside the gate. Now that would **** em off. Why pay to get in when the show is in the parking lot. Of course next thing is they would run you off for taking up space and not going to show. :D

Firstly,,,,you have one sweet rod there, geneo. [dr
Nextly,,, too many shows have way too many rules. Always thought our hobby was about building what YOU want for YOU. Have come to prefer the local shows/cruises because of the variety. You don't have to like the next guy's style. Just appreciate what it took for him to build it his/her way.
Lastly,,,,, like the others have said ,,,park it near the registration tent & check out the looks it gets.

That says it all!!!..CR

First off, that car is fricken awesome!

It's definitely not a rat rod, but not because of the wheels or the billet. It's just too "nice" to be a rat rod.

But that is fine by me, that thing is still totally cool.

I would put it more in the realm of traditional or hot rod.

i don't like labels and politics. they pretty much mess up whatever they are trying to classify, whatever that may be. people used to ask me what kind of music i played, i would say "i just play music." you try to call it something and you end up stuck in "the blues rut" where everything sounds like the same tired blues song, regardless of what style hook beat key or anything, it still sounds the same because you're trying to play to a crowd. when you just play for yourself you end up with a lot more attention because what you're doing is real. it's not something you're doing solely to impress someone else. you've got to impress yourself, if anyone else like it that's even better, but you got to look out for number one. it goes with everything, music, cars, martial arts, clothes, all of it. you end up backed into a corner trying to fit somewhere and wasting a bunch of time and energy (and sometimes money) trying to fit something you didn't like in the first place. i like that car you got there, you like that car you got there, it runs, it fits easily into the class of "motor vehicle". park next to the gate and set up a lawn chair.

I have an exposed late model engine with a computer i run fenderless with black wall radials . Have never been denied access to a show . If I ever am denied access I will do as someone suggested and park right out side the main entrance .

In my experience, if someone doesn't want your car in a specific show then you probably don't want to be at that show. Not much point in going somewhere where people are just going to bitch. There are plenty of good shows with good people out there.

Call it what you want and build it to your liking, not what you think it has to be.

I think it is a very nice looking car. Now quit worrying about what to call it and get out there and drive it!

drive it to the store.
there will be a crowd around it when you return from shopping.
a one man car show!

Latest posts

Back