It'smecords 40's ford truck build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I hit a salvage yard up today and scored an immaculate seat for $25 ! And a perfect working (spraying fluid 10 feet out the line I cracked) master cylinder for $10. I have a little money to spend so in the morning I am gunna pick up a clutch disk,front brake shoes,Some tiger hair,semi gloss paint,and bearings to build my column.That should cover my sunday anyway.
I have made a little progress on my pedals as well see what ya think !

Attachments

• logan-pedals 005.jpg
    logan-pedals 005.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 48
Placed a couple of orders today !
Slimline bear claw latches,cages,striker pins,fuel cell,headlights,and,a roll of brake line from Speedway.
A wiring harness from RebelWire,and in the morning I am gunna try to get in touch with RPM to get my brake stuff ordered ! Another trip to the junk yard to get a steering u-joint,and a few brake parts,and then off to advanced for a clutch kit ! Found out that my "good running 307 " actually has a spun main bearing,a spun rod,More slack than I have EVER seen in a timing set,a wiped out cam,2 lifters that look like they had a pick taken to the cam side of them.....oh yea,and a cracked head......I stopped tearing it down at that point.......The 350 I was gunna pick up was a bust to,so now I am on the prowl for another small block.

Got a little done today ! I filled the roof with the door skin from a chevy master sedan.Curvature of the door matched the roof perfectly,and there was JUST enough material to fill the roof. I also got started on the body work which should keep me busy until all my parts get in.

Attachments

• roof filler 001.jpg
    roof filler 001.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 43
  • roof filler 002.jpg
    roof filler 002.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 35
  • roof filler 003.jpg
    roof filler 003.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 35
Thanx snakefarm ! I sure am glad it worked out that well,I have been putting it off since I cut it out but today decided to just get it out of the way !
I need to get around to the door hinges so i'm ready for my latches when they get in. [;)

My parts are in !

My speedway order came in last night after I left my shop ! Opened it all up this morning and everything was as ordered,with no missing parts.
After I played with it all for awhile I got started on the truck.
I drilled and tapped my pedal hanger to mock the pedals up and check clearances around my steering shaft,and to get a feel for the general location of the pedals.I think with a little tweaking it will be just where I want it.

Attachments

• pedals hung 001.jpg
    pedals hung 001.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 37
Taking a little break form the build untill more funds come in.For now I will just be planning my next step,I need to mount the fuel tank and run my brake/fuel lines. The issue I am having with the fuel tank is when I ordered it I did not realize that the fuel inlet/outlet's are flush with the fill cap,AND are set up for AN fittings.I had wanted to mount the top of the tank under the floor,and have a little flush door to open for fueling.I am waiting for RPM to get my bearing adapters machined so that I can get my front hubs on.
I need to hit the junk yard and get a steering u-joint,then I need to find a glass shop here in amarillo to cut my glass.My harness from rebel wire came in the other day ! I am very happy with the harness..I ordered one for a vw "buggy" for that fact that this is gunna be a bare bones hotrod. I have it roughed into the truck and its a good fit.I did get really lucky though-if I had made the bed any longer the harness would have been to short.

Wow,longer break than anticipated ! Not a huge amount of progress but I have started smoothing/filling the dash,and glove box door. I finished building my bed.I cut the frame off just above the rear axle,and welded in 2x3 tube to fit the bed a little better since this was a chevy car frame. I have welded up my front spring perches,and just need to box the front of the frame and sleeve it for the shackles.I also grabbed the grill shell I had set aside for my 36 sedan and set it up on the truck to see if it looked good....I think i'm gunna run it !
Welded up my seat brackets,and somewhere along the line I found a 61 283 local here that is "said" to run but we will drop the pan,and pull the heads and see what we have ! Dropped that in the frame,and got my engine mounts out of the way and while it was in I ordered one of those knock down weld it yourself header kits and welded em' up and slapped them on there.Startin to look like a hotrod I think ! [cl[;):D

Attachments

• hotrod 008.jpg
    hotrod 008.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 36
  • hotrod 009.jpg
    hotrod 009.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 29
  • hotrod 007.jpg
    hotrod 007.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 32
  • hotrod 004.jpg
    hotrod 004.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 29
  • hotrod 002.jpg
    hotrod 002.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 27
Need some opinions !

I'm gunna clean the ol' 283 up and give er' a coat of the shiny stuff and was wondering what you guys think on color ? The truck will be red with a grey hammered finish and I'm undecided on the wheels just yet.

I'm gunna clean the ol' 283 up and give er' a coat of the shiny stuff and was wondering what you guys think on color ? The truck will be red with a grey hammered finish and I'm undecided on the wheels just yet.

Do the motor to match the truck :) of clean the block up real good and a good coat of etching primer and do the motor in that hammertone finish that would be cool :)

I'm glad others feel it's looking like something !
I had'n thought about matching the body color to the engine does anyone have any pictures of such ?
The hammertone would be cool,another thought I had not had....Now chevy orange had occurred to me,and to be honest I think its the way I am leaning although of all the projects I have ever messed with I have never done one chevy orange.

I'm glad others feel it's looking like something !
I had'n thought about matching the body color to the engine does anyone have any pictures of such ?
The hammertone would be cool,another thought I had not had....Now chevy orange had occurred to me,and to be honest I think its the way I am leaning although of all the projects I have ever messed with I have never done one chevy orange.

Here are acpl pics of mine - I did the engine block the same color as the cab and I have not had any problems with the paint peeling off at all - I cleaned it extremely well and wiped it down with wax and grease remover until the rags clean and then sprayed a good self etching primer and then sprayed the color and clear on it

Attachments

• 250501_1994347130712_1004436880_2310822_7908999_n.jpg
    250501_1994347130712_1004436880_2310822_7908999_n.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 27
  • The finished Kreature.jpg
    The finished Kreature.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 36
Ok,I got a little done today. I have been putting off mounting my doors for awhile now.
I finally just got down to it,and mounted the driver door,and cut out the door to accommodate the slim line bear claw latches I have.I then had to do a little thinking on how to mount my striker,but I came up with a simple solution !
Now it was at this time it occurred to me that I have no inside,or outside door handles SO,I walked across the street to my shop and robbed the inside handle assemblies from my 36 chevy. With a little bit of cutting I had a place to mount the chevy handle.
I only had one of the latch linkages so I cut it in half and found an old screen door turnbuckle and welded the modded link to half the turnbuckle and wa-la' ! I have a working door.

Attachments

• househotrodmix 085.jpg
    househotrodmix 085.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 14
  • househotrodmix 088.jpg
    househotrodmix 088.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 14
  • househotrodmix 091.jpg
    househotrodmix 091.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 14
  • househotrodmix 092.jpg
    househotrodmix 092.jpg