just found today, '46 Caddilac Hearse

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly4008

A customer came into the shop yesterday and we got to talking old tin. The guy has been in the junkyard business forever so i was trying to get leads on parts for my rat. Mainly the caddy/olds air cleaner. Then he tells me i can look over his private collection and use what i want. So today after work i go out there. He's got Cadillacs, DeSotos, Plymouths, Lincolns all from the 40s,50s, and 60s. (Now that i think of it, i should see if that desoto has a hemi.) Anyway, he told me yesterday he wants to sell his '46 Cadillac. I get there today to look at it and its a friggin hearse. I honestly didnt see that coming. This car freaks me out, but the only rot on the whole car is the steps. The rest of the car is solid as hell! Not a single dent, all the trim is there, and the interior is cherry. I figure this could be worth something to the right person with a V8 swap and some suspension mods. It could make a cool panel wagon conversion.

Has anybody ever seen a rodded hearse? Any suggestions? Sorry about not having pics, it gets dark here at 4:45 here.

Hot Rod Hearse

Here's a 39 Lasalle Hearse.

Attachments

• 1939lasalle_hearse%5Blg%5D.jpg
    1939lasalle_hearse%5Blg%5D.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Monster Garage had a couple of hearse builds. I think they are really cool, but I like that sort of thing. It is just another delivery vehicle. But classic.

That LaSalle hearse reminds me of Hitler for some strange unknown reason.

I cant believe how BIG that car is! Im 6' and this thing is as tall as, if not taller, than i am. Its like a school bus. If any of you'ze guys want this thing PM me and let me know, i'll save it for ya. I cant believe how solid this thing is. I live in NY and its a salt state, cars normally dont last here.

I was thinking about how this would look as a pickup, but i dont think i could bring myself to cutting it up. Its just too nice. I would def. do a chop though.

Hehe, I just saw a coffin in the swap meet area at Daytona. Maybe you could put the two together and REALLY spook people out. :eek:

There was a hearse at Houston's Autorama that had a casket in the back & a big sign that said... "Speed Kills... & We Deliver"!!! It also has a human sized Rat Fink that had Angel's wings! :D:D:D

BoB

Heres what i found. Im thinking panel wagon conversion, el camino conversion, pick up truck conversion, coupe conversion, limo conversion, delivery sedan.....

coolest thing ever is that it has a Cadillac flat head V8

I also threw in a pic of a DeSoto he has.

Attachments

• 000_0068.jpg
    000_0068.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 000_0069.jpg
    000_0069.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 000_0070.jpg
    000_0070.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 110
change of events....

well the same guy came into the shop today and i started asking him about hte caddy. Turns out the yard i went to wasnt his! His yard is about on the same road about a 1/2 mile before that one, and i drove right past it. Then he says im lucky that guy didnt shoot at me for going in there.

What are the odds of two late 40s caddies being that close togeather? I plan on taking a look at HIS sometime this weekend. Yes, i did ask. No, its not another hearse.

those caddy flatheads r badass looking with the exhaust coming out of the top of the heads... lots of potential to make something kool lookin. i missed out on one but if the car is cheap enough id get it just for the motor, those motors were also available in ww2 tanks i hear so they must be good :D

I've always wanted an old hearse. Drive it around, and stop to pick up hitch-hikers..."Sure, I'll give you a lift, but you gotta' ride in the back!!! Heh heh heh!!!".............I'm just creepy like that.

There was a Elcamino style conversion made by the same coach builder. They call them Flower cars. They were used to them to haul the large flower arangments to the grave side.

Latest posts

Back