Landscraper - 2wd Landcruiser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be heading to dad's house next weekend. It should be fun poking these things in the wheelwells. They have 295/35/18s on the "rear wheels" and 275/35/18s on the "front wheels". That's 11.5 inches wide on the rear! ...probably gonna take some spacers to fit just right.

Did you know a set of corvette wheels will fit in the back seat of a toyota yaris?

Who really needs a truck?

Attachments

• 20150417_224724.jpg
    20150417_224724.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 24
Man , looks good Flipper, is the suspension done?
good score on the new shoe's. look like they belong there....

No it's all still in mock-up while I figure out what I'm doing (still trying to figure out which parts are migrating to the fj40 is part of the puzzle). I'm trying to build both vehicles without spending much real money.

I really think I need to pile 600 lbs up front to see how far everything mashes down. I'm a little concerned the front might go too low once I add an engine and transmission. That will also tell me how much to raise the rear suspension up. Once I get it figured out, I'm half a day of welding away from a hotrod.

Last edited:
I think it has the potential to be fun. It is begging for a rude motor, but I'm gonna try and fight the urge and stay sensible.

99% of people probably won't know Toyota didn't build it like that though.

Looking Good

No it's all still in mock-up while I figure out what I'm doing (still trying to figure out which parts are migrating to the fj40 is part of the puzzle). I'm trying to build both vehicles without spending much real money.

I really think I need to pile 600 lbs up front to see how far everything mashes down. I'm a little concerned the front might go too low once I add an engine and transmission. That will also tell me how much to raise the rear suspension up. Once I get it figured out, I'm half a day of welding away from a hotrod.

I read some where there is no "to low" until the frame hits the ground :rolleyes:

I read some where there is no "to low" until the frame hits the ground :rolleyes:

The way a landcruiser is made, rockers will hit at the same time. They are "channeled" from the factory. The suspension crossmembers are being mounted higher than the rockers too. If I bagged it and did wheel tubs, it would lay out easily.....but I'm not going to bag it. I'm a static drop kinda person. I'm shooting for 5 inches at the rockers ride height.

frame lower by 1/4 inch?
20141231_121049 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

I think it has the potential to be fun. It is begging for a rude motor, but I'm gonna try and fight the urge and stay sensible.

99% of people probably won't know Toyota didn't build it like that though.

That's what you call a sleeper! Big HP engine, low and quiet, surprise sporty car types on the straightaway and in the curves! [ddd

This is gonna be super low budget.

15 years ago it was a $1000 cruiser project. I robbed $1000 worth of parts out of it for Molly's FJ40...now free cruiser? The jag suspension came out of a $300 ebay jaguar that got crushed after the suspension, seats and roof were harvested...$200 suspension. The wheels were $175 from a local pawn shop. Engine and trans are probably going to be the ones that came out of the $118 ebay Mercedes rat rod (307 chevy motor). I have an aluminum intake for it....and plenty of tube to make headers.

Brakes, new tires, and maybe steering will take some cash...everything else should already be in the barn.

Dang if those wheels don't look OEM on that thing...

Just find a set of ebay spacers for the wheels. Then you can turn the spacer to fit the hub instead of messing with the hub itself. I would run a bigger sutd like a 1/2". They would be longer too.

Too bad you weren't closer as I am drowning in 350 sbc's over here...

Latest posts

Back