Magazine Ideas ~ Share your thoughts!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully this is the right place to post this... if not, sorry about that.

I figure I better get an idea thread going. I really would like to know what you guys would like to see in our magazine. (this is just a conversational thing... I'm not trying to solicit anyone)

Of course we're going to be heavy on art/photos, that's my main focus - but aside from that. What kind of tech subjects? Any specific styles of rats you don't see anywhere that you'd LIKE to see in print? Is there a specific show/club that you think should be covered? Maybe a strange or amazing story?

I know how to produce a great looking magazine... but in order to fill it with the stuff people REALLY want to see, I want to tap into the community. The guys with the dirty hands and the shop full of rods... kind of a "by the people for the people" sort of deal.

And by the way, I'm still very actively looking for hi-res photos I can use. Its hard to get out and take good photos in Minnesota in the winter, so if you guys got some cool stuff (I know its here, I've seen a ton of it!) let me know. I'll put some of these great rides in the spotlight the best I can. Its just a voluntary thing at the moment... wish I could pay people for their help, but this is a startup and we gotta get going first.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have... I know I've gotten some from a few of you already, and its all been good.

what I would like to see in a mag.

I would like to see more info. on featured cars...IE frame specs. suspension set up...axle used..time to build and build pics. Basically make it more like this forum. Oh and some good looking babes...not all of them have to be tatted down...i like tatts but some of the chicks i see in mags look a little beat.

IMO the people who would benefit most from a magazine like this are the guys just starting out in the hobby. When I was growing up in the 50's everything we learned came from the magazines we got at the news stand every month. The tech articles were very important as well as the pictures of cars that we could dream of owning some day.

I've seen a shift in the way rats are being built. Originallly, there were some pretty scary creations being put on the road. Those have been replaced for the most part with much safer, better constructed examples and I see young builders starting to ask questions about the right ways to do things.

Don

I can agree whole heartly with Don. Pleasing the mass' is going to be a tall order to fill. Everyone is at a different stage of the learning curve. What is to basic for one person, is just right for the next guy, and possibly to advanced for the next person to absorb. But how to's, and ideas are always sought out by everyone at one time or other. Pictures and stories are nice eye candy, but relevant tech articles are the backbone if your to feed the system that needs the magazine. I can bet this thread is going to grow legs, there's lots of opinions around here.:D

We'll never be able to please everyone, no question. But its important to me personally to get a nice variety of things in the mag. I'm more curious than anything, maybe because I want to learn too. Thats really an interesting statement Don about the shift in building, and the safety of the rods. Kind of off subject, but one day I'd like to print a coffee-table book about the history of rat rods... if I can ever learn enough to feel comfortable doing it.

And what the heck sniper I thought the "babes" were the backbone... haha. ;)

There really is not a magazine that represents what most of us do. Most magazine articles include taking the car to XYZ company and having them install their front suspension, rear suspension, exhaust, electric windows, steering column, etc.

What we want is: How do I make my own steering column? Show me 10 ways to install a solid front axle. Split the wishbones or make my own? Give me some ideas about where to put the stupid battery. Parallel or triangulated 4 link?

We don't need to see you install a Painless wiring harness. Tell us about wire. Does it have to be crosslinked or is PVC ok. GXL, TXL, SXL what's the difference? Can I use TWN or TNN? What's a latching relay and why would I use it. Headlight relay's? Got any security tricks? How about info on an inexpensive way to install hydroboost?

Basically, I would like to see a magazine for people who want to do the work themselves and not put together a checkbook car. Give us some ideas, offer some solutions, put in real info, not fluff.

Forget about reviewing bands, tats, and car shows. ( Maybe you could inlude a review of the swap meets.) Show us cars, trucks and above all, details.

Show engine mounts, radiator mounts, transmission mounts, door latches, parking brakes, shifters, fuel lines - all the little things builders have to deal with.

And by the way, not every car or truck with flat paint is a rat. Figure out what a Rat Rod is and stick to it.

How's that for a rant?

If your looking for good builders with TONS of talent your on the right sight.

First, I must say if you have not featured "donsrods" above then you definitely should. The man has more stories, knowledge and modesty than most, and has built some of the coolest rods around.

We've got electricians, welders, fabricators, and (like myself) artists (www.dumdesigns.com).

This site is sort of a magazine in itself but so much more.:D

Also budget builds for the very first builder. I have a 67 valiant 4 door im going to put together in the spring with a LARGE flake roof and lowering blocks on the rear with turned down torsions. Should be done for less than 2 grand including purchase price. That makes the hobbie open to almost every one. I knew a guy at the dealership I worked at who had an old honda civic painted flat black with flames. I tried to hate that car but it was cool and he had a hot rod attitude but not a large budget.

I would like to see builds done the correct way. As someone stated earlier, too many unsafe ones out there. Show everyone how to build a suspension the right way. Also pics from shows do it for me. Love to see all the cars and trucks to get ideas. And Earthman is the god of pics!:D....CR

Few years back I was dealing with Geoff Carter--Past Editor of Street Rodder. He was trying to start a Magazine--print-- then an E-zine. It didn't work out and closed up..

I knew the guy was sharp, but didn't realize the extent of his skills till later. He'd edit some of my stuff and make me sound like I knew what I was doing!!!

He was a 'heavy hitter' in the industry--knew the ropes, had loads of experience, Skill, contacts, etc. and he wasn't able to survive. He might have been a 'dinosaur' and couldn't keep up, but I think not. I believe the magazine industry--like newspapers, is a dying animal.

Its being killed by this thing we're doing right now.. KD said something like that in an earlier post. This IS the 'magazine'. I don't hardly ever buy a printed thing on cars. Waste of time--waste of money. If someone shows me a magazine, I usually have already seen what they are showing on Utube or a Forum..

The suggestion--start your own car art forum.. Study the successful forums--look at Ryan on the bacon site--look at tripper here--he's successful.

Ax Him.

Prints dead..

PA41

Last edited:
I'll have to promote my new friends Damage Goods Customs they build some great rat rods out of what ever they have in the shop they always have old hot rodders come in to see what they're building, take pics of their projects, or just shoot the ****. Troy who is old gold on here is chopping my 51 packard one of about 5-6 old cars they are chopping plus all the other stuff they are doing. Troy is also building a roadster from a 37 dodge truck. alot of hand fabricating out of nothing goes on at this shop. They could use some good advertising even though they are backed up about 3-4 months with client cars.

Attachments

• pack04.jpg
    pack04.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 6
  • metal 005.jpg
    metal 005.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 12
  • chop1 008.jpg
    chop1 008.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 11
  • passd 007.jpg
    passd 007.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 13
  • chop1 011.jpg
    chop1 011.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 12
Heres a few more shots from Damaged Goods

Attachments

• chop1 019.jpg
    chop1 019.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 12
  • chop1 026.jpg
    chop1 026.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 10
  • chop1 023.jpg
    chop1 023.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 11
  • chop1 013.jpg
    chop1 013.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 10
  • chop1 014.jpg
    chop1 014.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 13
Ya, I agree - print is a dying animal - to an extent. there will always be remnants of printed materials around... for toilet reading, collections, whatever. I do a lot of design work for various printing projects and I've watched that part of the industry crumble, most of it going digital. But there is something to be said for holding something in your hands... still that physical element.

We're not out to make a killing... just doing it for the love of the genre. A lot of these publications that have gone under were unable to transition into the digital age... maybe they had too much overhead or whatever, maybe their target market changed. Could be a number of reasons why it won't work. We're going into it a little bit differently, on a smaller scale, and we're just being creative with it.

We will also be making this magazine available digitally, which will certainly be the largest viewership.

Good points though, for sure.

Cool stuff straight, thanks for sharing.

I'm hoping we can have some fun, feature some cool shops, cars, clubs, and people. God knows there are some pretty cool folks around here!

Thats the idea

There really is not a magazine that represents what most of us do. Most magazine articles include taking the car to XYZ company and having them install their front suspension, rear suspension, exhaust, electric windows, steering column, etc.

What we want is: How do I make my own steering column? Show me 10 ways to install a solid front axle. Split the wishbones or make my own? Give me some ideas about where to put the stupid battery. Parallel or triangulated 4 link?

We don't need to see you install a Painless wiring harness. Tell us about wire. Does it have to be crosslinked or is PVC ok. GXL, TXL, SXL what's the difference? Can I use TWN or TNN? What's a latching relay and why would I use it. Headlight relay's? Got any security tricks? How about info on an inexpensive way to install hydroboost?

Basically, I would like to see a magazine for people who want to do the work themselves and not put together a checkbook car. Give us some ideas, offer some solutions, put in real info, not fluff.

Forget about reviewing bands, tats, and car shows. ( Maybe you could inlude a review of the swap meets.) Show us cars, trucks and above all, details.

Show engine mounts, radiator mounts, transmission mounts, door latches, parking brakes, shifters, fuel lines - all the little things builders have to deal with.

And by the way, not every car or truck with flat paint is a rat. Figure out what a Rat Rod is and stick to it.

How's that for a rant?

This is the right idea,technical stuff,and how tos. Still wouldn't mind the babes though.

Show me how to do it safe, how to do it cheap, and how to do it myself.

If you want ideas, sift back through a few hundred pages of these threads. Everything from homemade tools, to discussions about IFS, to speedster picture threads - there are a lot of interesting topic that could be expanded on.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back