manual shifter placement

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i want to do the same thing to my truck, funny thing is that the previous owner converted it from a floor shift to a column shift :p.

Mine was a kit from B&M as I remember, it was years ago and it was a Ford Bronco with a 3 on the tree. The new linkange fit on the tranny and I made a new hole in the floor for a shifter. As a kit it was easy, I would hate to have to figure out building the linkage.

i think the kits run 100-150, b&m still makes them. I think you can even get them at regular parts stores like autozone and kragens.

Done quite few, one word of advice........buy a quality shifter like Hurst or B and M. We bought my Son an AMC Hornet to drive to school while we were finishing up his Olds, and it was a stick shift. The column shifter was sloppy so we put a SparkOMatic flatstick shifter in it just to get it running. Worst piece of crap I have ever seen. It would jam between 1st and 2nd if you didn't shift just right, and you would have to climb under it and free it up.

When he was done using the car I took it over and many a time I had to put the front wheels up on a curb for clearance, climb under and get it unstuck. Why we never changed it out for a Hurst I have no idea.

Anyway, the kit you buy will come with all instructions and all parts to convert it over. About a good afternoons worth of work in most cases.

Don

Done quite few, one word of advice........buy a quality shifter like Hurst or B and M. We bought my Son an AMC Hornet to drive to school while we were finishing up his Olds, and it was a stick shift. The column shifter was sloppy so we put a SparkOMatic flatstick shifter in it just to get it running. Worst piece of crap I have ever seen. It would jam between 1st and 2nd if you didn't shift just right, and you would have to climb under it and free it up.

When he was done using the car I took it over and many a time I had to put the front wheels up on a curb for clearance, climb under and get it unstuck. Why we never changed it out for a Hurst I have no idea.

Anyway, the kit you buy will come with all instructions and all parts to convert it over. About a good afternoons worth of work in most cases.

Don
DIDO ON THE STIKY STICKS MAN,i always run standerds now and definitly ,,,do not run a spakomatic.

Back