More gun legislation

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
The good kind

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack has read the Second Amendment to the
U.S. Constitution, as well as Vermont's own Constitution very carefully, and

his strict interpretation of these documents is popping some eyeballs in

New England and elsewhere.

Maslack recently proposed a bill to register "non-gun-owners" and
require them to pay a $500 fee to the state. Thus Vermont would become
the first state to require a permit for the luxury of going about
unarmed and assess a fee of $500 for the privilege of not owning a
gun. Maslack read the "militia" phrase of the Second Amendment as not
only the right of the individual citizen to bear arms, but as 'a clear
mandate to do so'. He believes that universal gun ownership was
advocated by the Framers of the Constitution as an antidote to a
"monopoly of force" by the government as well as criminals. Vermonts
constitution states explicitly that "the people have a right to bear
arms for the defense of themselves and the State" and those persons
who are "conscientiously scrupulous of bearing arms" shall be required
to "pay such equivalent.."

Clearly, says Maslack, Vermonters have a constitutional obligation to
arm themselves, so that they are capable of responding to "any
situation that may arise."

Under the bill, adults who choose not to own a firearm would be
required to register their name, address, Social Security Number, and
driver's license number with the state. "There is a legitimate
government interest in knowing who is not prepared to defend the state
should they be asked to do so," Maslack says.

Vermont already boasts a high rate of gun ownership along with the
least restrictive laws of any state.... it's currently the only state
that allows a citizen to carry a concealed firearm without a permit.
This combination of plenty of guns and few laws regulating them has
resulted in a crime rate that is the third lowest in the nation.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the
system, but too early to shoot the *******s."

This makes sense! There is no reason why gun owners should have to pay
taxes to support police protection for people not wanting to own guns.
Let them contribute their fair share and pay their own way. Sounds
reasonable to me! Non-gun owners require more police to protect them
and this fee should go to paying for their defense!

Let's just say... the old Tripper definitely wouldn't be required to pay up for not owning some shootin' irons!!! [ddd:eek::eek:[ddd

BoB

Well what do you know

This is out of the Colorado Constitution

Bill of rigths- Right to bear arms
The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.

Article XVII. Militia

Persons subject to service
"The militia of the state shall consist of all able*bodied male residents of the state between the ages of eighteen and forty*five years; except, such persons as may be exempted by the laws of the United States, or of the state."

Armories
"The general assembly shall provide for the safekeeping of the public arms, military records, relics and banners of the state."

Exemption in time of peace
"No person having conscientious scruples against bearing arms, shall be compelled to do militia duty in time of peace; provided, such person shall pay an equivalent for such exemption."

There is nothing I could find on what the equivalent would be.

Just think if they'd pay you $500 for each gun you owned! [cl

Ummmm... I'd buy a few more & some ammo to boot! Like I always say...

If it ever really does come down to it... which is more valuable... lead or gold?!? [ddd[ddd[ddd

I have noticed the shelves and racks at gun store are getting a little bare around here. Hmmmmm![S

Same here in H-town... they're havin' a hard time keepin' stuff in stock! And several burglars have met their maker here lately breakin' in to the 'wrong' house! :eek:

BoB

Being a hyper blue state, if that law passed, the residents who don't work would surely be issued government guns, paid for by the people who do work.

Maybe you would pick up your ammo at the same place you get your welfare check. [S

I just felt like stirring the pot this morning. [ddd

The right to bear does not protect your right to concealed weapons because it's considered sneaky to conceal your weapons.
Where along this path did it become acceptable for the government to concea. and lie to the public about the truth but unacceptable for the public to conceal their arms?

here's a good series of questions to ask a few cops when they have congregated...
"It's NOT illegal for police to lie to me right?"
"And it is illegal to lie to an officer right?"
SOOOooooooo
If a cop lies to you and there is another one or several present...
can you make a citizens arrest after witnessing one cop lying to another cop [cl

Before you attempt to citizens arrest a cop you need to...
find an officer in the execution of his duties, you need a cellphone, a Skateboard, lots of friends to play the part of concerned citizens who suddenly appear then vanish, and a batman costume

I have to tell you.....Honestly.......

The right to bear does not protect your right to concealed weapons because it's considered sneaky to conceal your weapons.
Where along this path did it become acceptable for the government to concea. and lie to the public about the truth but unacceptable for the public to conceal their arms?

here's a good series of questions to ask a few cops when they have congregated...
"It's NOT illegal for police to lie to me right?"
"And it is illegal to lie to an officer right?"
SOOOooooooo
If a cop lies to you and there is another one or several present...
can you make a citizens arrest after witnessing one cop lying to another cop [cl
Before you attempt to citizens arrest a cop you need to...
find an officer in the execution of his duties, you need a cellphone, a Skateboard, lots of friends to play the part of concerned citizens who suddenly appear then vanish, and a batman costume

I'm totally unsure of the point of your point....:eek: [S..... if I arrested every "citizen" that lied to me...I'd be a very very very busy cop....secondly....Oh nevermind!!!....I'm not sure how to even address this...LOL

I'm totally unsure of the point of your point....:eek: [S..... if I arrested every "citizen" that lied to me...I'd be a very very very busy cop....secondly....Oh nevermind!!!....I'm not sure how to even address this...LOL

Yeah it's a deep one... gotcha!
one of those jokes like "if god is so perfect can he make a rock he can't pickup..".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aEZ-6CP7YM

Jon Stewart cracked a good one.
He described how the federal reserve created tens of trillions of dollars out of thin air to bail out insolvent domestic and foreign banks at ZERO interest then those banks LOANED that money back to the US WITH interests.
he said the treasury has to be one of the dumbest loan sharks and finished it off with "And They put Martha Stewart in prison...what's wrong with this picture".

Is it just me or does anyone else not get how people pass over the "well formed militia" part of the second amendment? To me a well formed militia isn't just a lot of random people who own guns.

Looks like our founders were some smart fellas!

Like they could see in the future and saw the current administrations war on guns and our right to protect us from those in office. I had a liberal friend that was against people having guns, one night late he called and asked me to bring me and my gun to his house, he thought someone was trying to break in, that night guns weren't so bad.

Is it just me or does anyone else not get how people pass over the "well formed militia" part of the second amendment? To me a well formed militia isn't just a lot of random people who own guns.

That is the argument used by gun control lobbyist. But the counter argument is, at the time militias were armed with personal firearms and not supplied by the government. This puts each side at a stalemate in the argument on the federal level. State control on firearms differ from Federal laws and in most States the right to bear arms and laws governing militias are separated in state constitutions. There are two Supreme Court rulings on the second amendment that do narrow it down to the right to bear arms for protection of home, family and property but uphold certain regulations imposed on the federal and state level i.e. felons and CW permits.

That is the argument used by gun control lobbyist. But the counter argument is, at the time militias were armed with personal firearms and not supplied by the government. This puts each side at a stalemate in the argument on the federal level. State control on firearms differ from Federal laws and in most States the right to bear arms and laws governing militias are separated in state constitutions. There are two Supreme Court rulings on the second amendment that do narrow it down to the right to bear arms for protection of home, family and property but uphold certain regulations imposed on the federal and state level i.e. felons and CW permits.

a few years ago I had a guy from Germany tell me that men were issued guns and required to meet at regularly scheduled intervals to shoot and train. Every man was responsible for the care of his gun and I think he got to keep it as his own. That is what I think of as "well formed militia". I think it might be a good idea for every responsible adult (at least the men) to own a gun and have mandatory training in how to use it.

Latest posts

Back