Multiple carbs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old man dave

Where do you guys find all these incredible looking multiple carb setups? I watch Ebay and Craigs list fairly regular and see a few 2x4 intakes but nothing special. I got my 62 Impala 327 off the floor and on the engine stand but don't care to use it because it looks lost under the hood. Some cool carbs would help. Also how do you tell the cubic inch displacement on a Cadillac engine? This car was in a junk yard with no I.D. as to size. The owner wanted $400 and will remove them.

Attachments

• Picture 094.jpg
    Picture 094.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture 095.jpg
    Picture 095.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 37
That Cadillac looks like a 1967 or 1968 model. I'm not sure of the differences between the tho years. If so and it still has the correct engine, it should be a 472 or a 500.

There isn't too much in the line of available multi-carb intakes for those. There are a couple of businesses that special in hi-po parts for those engines.....but be prepared to spend big bucks at those places.

You could also fake the multible carb look,by making up an adapter to use underneath your original carb,Brian

Those Caddys are beasts. We had a 67 and a 70 with the 472 and they would light up the tires with my utility trailer in tow. Super good motors too, but as Bill mentioned aftermarket stuff is out there, but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. :eek:

Don

I never rode in a 70's Caddy but a friends dad had a 70's Riviera with a 455 that was faster than any high school hot rod of the day.

I don't know where you live (profile is blank) but if you live close to any large swap meets you'll see tons of multiple carb setups at decent prices.

As far as the late model Cad goes, $400 is pretty steep for that engine. Looks like it hasn't run in some time, has a bunch of stuff missing and most importantly the carb is off. Not looking good unless you want to sink a ton of cash into a rebuild, IF the black isn't cracked etc. If you are really looking into one of those 472/500 mills just watch your local CL. Running driving examples come up all the time for cheap because they are gas guzzlers. A clean, complete, running/driving '68 Coupe DeVille just went here for $1000. Wasted cars with good running engines that you can drive home can be had for even less. Just keep an eye out...

As Gastrick said, that's a 67 or 68 so that would make it a 472. The 500 didn't come out 'till 1970 in the Eldorado.
Most multi carb intakes I've seen are fabricated ones, I made an aluminum 2x4 tunnel ram myself. Caddy intakes have no water passages or distributor mount so as intake fabricating goes, they are one of the easier ones to do. Other possibilities are adapting an intake from some other engine that has similar port spacing such as a 351 Cleveland or 429 - 460 Ford. I've seen the 460 intake used with aluminum spacer/adaptors to fit it, I seem to recall it was shown in a build done in Street Rodder, at least 10 years ago.

I picked up a 472 and turbo 400 trans for $150.00 out of a 71 coupe deville limo. I wanted something besides a 4 barrell also, so I'm making a 4 deuce intake and a 60's style scoope for the top.

Attachments

• IMG_0623.JPG
    IMG_0623.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0624.JPG
    IMG_0624.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0710.JPG
    IMG_0710.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0713-001.JPG
    IMG_0713-001.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for all the reply's. As for the multi carb set up i was asking about is for my 327 Chevy. I see new 2x4 intakes and a few 3x2 intakes but nothing out of the ordinary like i see being used on RRR cars and trucks.
The Cadillac engine price was for engine and transmission. Prices in the Atlanta area always seem to be way higher than what i see others paying. The only low prices i see are the things i am selling.
Swap meets are almost non existent. The local street rodder club had a big yearly show and swap meet for many years but gave that up due to lack of profit from the event.

Last edited:
OM Dave, there is a reason motors are more in the South than some other places. When I lived in Pennsylvania motors were pretty cheap because the cars would rust out before the motors would wear out and the junkyards were full of cars that were too rusty to stay on the road, but that had good running motors. In the South it is the opposite.......the bodies last forever but the engines wear out over time from milage, and consequently they are more rare and cost more in junkyards and from private sellers.

One time we moved from Pa to NC and I was shocked at the prices motors were bringing. I actually considered buying motors in Pa and transporting them to NC to sell. People in the South tend to keep their cars longer as they stay in good condition longer due to mild winters and no salt on the roads. I owned cars in Pa that ran like a clock but the frames were rusting away so bad they wouldn't pass inspection, so they got scrapped.

Don

they make a adapter for the 425, 472, and 500 that you can use a 460 ford intake. might be easier then building one.

they make a adapter for the 425, 472, and 500 that you can use a 460 ford intake. might be easier then building one.

I just looked at the adapters and intakes. The adapter is a little pricey but nothing good is cheap. No wonder so many people use SBC.

I picked up a 472 and turbo 400 trans for $150.00 out of a 71 coupe deville limo. I wanted something besides a 4 barrell also, so I'm making a 4 deuce intake and a 60's style scoope for the top.

That is a wild looking set up. Since i have an unfinished project already i should probably finish it before buying parts for another one. Sometimes i like to take a break from one project and do something different for a while.

That is a wild looking set up. Since i have an unfinished project already i should probably finish it before buying parts for another one. Sometimes i like to take a break from one project and do something different for a while.

Thanks, and your right sometimes you gotta back off a project and thing on another one to clear your head.

My 2 current projects are my 62 Impala that i have been collecting parts for. Going to put it back together as a mostly stock car to drive around town. Bought a factory posi unit several years ago that is for the 4:10 and numerically higher gear set. Couple that to a th350 trans and you cant really drive it on the highway but will be fun around town.
My other current project is a 72 Chevy truck that i used to drag race. It is gutted with a cage and was complete and running but i sold my engine and have not replaced it yet. Might make a rat drag truck with it. The truck is in primer so it would be easy to make it flat black and logo the doors. My stepfather owned a pulpwood company in Alabama and now that he is dead i thought i would build a tribute truck with his company logo on the door, weathered rat style of course.

Latest posts

Back