My '39 Chevy Pickup Project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When used how there designed they're pulling load in, as being used here there being compressed. Not saying it wont work just something to think about, and keep an eye on.

I haven't posted in a couple weeks even though I've been working like mad on the build. I've been doing things that really don't show like putting the drive shaft together with new u-joints. I also have been doing a lot of welding on the inside of the cab. I added extra bracing to the "b" pillars, across the tops of the door openings, over the windshield and across the back of the cab.

4223054030_049f1860a5.jpg

We do all of our work at my buddy Norman's house. His place got nick named Norm's Speed Shop several years ago. Our friend Kevin had t-shirts printed up with Norm's Speed Shop on them when we went to Bonneville last year. He also painted it on the side of his '55 Chevy gasser so we had to do the same on our projects. Here is my attempt at making it look like it's been painted on for ever. Norman picked up a small projector that plugs in to any RCA jack. We took a picture of one of the shirts and projected it on the door.

4223046748_be874c9d84.jpg

We mounted the bed sides to the frame and I welded in my battery box.

4223064684_6ca730bee0.jpg

I'm going to use three WWII bomber tanks mounted in the bed. Two of them are going to be fuel tanks and I will be running the engine coolant through for extra cooling capacity. We built the mount for them yesterday and sat them in.

4223070618_b3c41d040c.jpg

Keith

When used how there designed they're pulling load in, as being used here there being compressed. Not saying it wont work just something to think about, and keep an eye on.

jst my 2 cents but a binder don't know in or out the only weak point will be when the threads are all the way out(the more threads that are showing the less in the binder, giving it less to hold onto) MMM that make sense ??[;)

Chipper,

It make sense to me. It hard to tell in the picture of the binder and the battery box but we welded in bar stock as a stop on both sides so that the binder can't be opened up too far.

Keith

I put my to bomber oxygen tanks together as a pair of gas tanks today. I purchased steel gas tank filler spouts from Speedway which come with breather gas caps. I used a hole saw to drill the holes for the filler spout. I used a 21" piece of 1/4" galvanized water pipe for the gas line into the tank. I drilled out one end of the tank at the threaded hole big enough to put the water pipe into it. I bent the water pipe so that it would reach the bottom of the tank. I welded the water pipe into place. I left the threaded end sticking out of the tank by about a 1/2" for my gas line fitting. I don't know if this is the best way to turn a bomber tank into a gas tank but it looks like it should work out well.

4249898647_173ebe4b1a.jpg

4249900123_7a1d16b4ba.jpg

4250671862_59708885ea.jpg

4250678092_462d770b30.jpg

Keith

We been working on the pickup a lot over the past couple weeks. We mounted the master cylinder and plumbed in the new rear brake lines. We added the residual valves near the master cylinder.

4274568694_fe7f7615ab.jpg

We mounted the radiator and got the cooling lines run to the tank in the bed.

4274573766_2a8e669fc4.jpg

We installed the grill shell so that it will pivot off the bottom two bolts. I had a problem with accessing the radiator cap so we set it up so that the two top bolts can be easily removed. Norman nick named my pickup Tiking. My wife and I have been into tiki for a number of years. I built a tiki bar in our backyard and our living room is decorated with tiki. My last name is King hence the name Tiking.

Here's my idea for the taillights.

4273831737_78f3c7fcbd.jpg

We welded on the headlight mounts last night.

4273836165_5fce0fe1f5.jpg

4273836757_1f7c63488b.jpg

Keith

Looking good... im not a fan of the tail light mock up but hey its your truck... keep at it!

After looking the taillight idea over I have to agree with you. We ended up making a roll pan for the back and Frenched in four 59 Cadi taillights. The funny thing is that we were searching around for tube to use for the lights and found a bent Cadillac drive shaft that was the perfect diameter. We cut it up and welded it in.

4328903043_27a2a10b67.jpg

4328907441_c9cd2d8cd4.jpg

Keith

Latest posts

Back