My '53 Flat Bed Chevy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ3100

Some of these photos were posted in my introduction, but here they are again with some new ones.

Photo 1 is a pretty accurate color rendition. The front wheel wells were radiused to get rid of the goofy stock shape. I also pulled the opening out to give clearance for the tires.

Photo 2. The front bed corners are radiused to match the cab. The 5" bed channel is 12 ga. formed on a press brake with a 1" radius. The box under the bed is hammer formed and welded. The hinges on this side are 193? Nash, the other side are 193? Lincoln. Both trunk hinges.
Oak sides are stained with the body paint and finished with Watco Marine Oil.

Photo 3. The bullet tail light lenses on the tube are the third attempt. I cast and then machined them, then polished them.

Photo 4. The bullets on the bumper started as 4" pipe. Pie cut, welded, turned on a lathe and Bondo. The trunk hinges are '98 Buick.

Attachments

• 1 53.jpg
    1 53.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
The engine is a 350 Goodwrench lo buck crate with Edelbrock carb and manifold. The chrome rams horns were swap meet finds. The firewall had over 70 holes and the lower half was missing. I cut it out and made a new one. The air cleaner lid is a hub cap that was on the truck originally.

The seats are leather Honda Pilot second row (at least that's what I was told) with build in cup holders. Carpet and headliners by a local upholsterer. I broke the first windshiled installing it and never could get the back window in, so I had the glass professionally installed. I did everything else.

Other stats: '78 Chevy C10 front suspension and discs. Hydroboost. NV3500 5 speed tranny, 373 posi with leaf springs. Cragers. Haywire harness. Inyati shot the truck bed liner on the bed.

It doesn't really qualify as a rat, even though people still ask me what color I'm going to paint it. Everything is new or rebuilt. it runs and drives great.

Attachments

• engine2 09-12.jpg
    engine2 09-12.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 50
  • engine3 09-12.jpg
    engine3 09-12.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 51
  • interior2 09-12.jpg
    interior2 09-12.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 63
I love it! As a paint guy, I'm impressed with how well you matched the stain on the wood and the paint.

EricP Paint guys are pretty rare around here.
The bed sides match, but I have a new louvered hood that I painted a year later from the same can of paint, with the same reducer and catalyst. It does not match. Different technique?

I'll post of pics of the louvered hood later today.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

that is some fantastic work... that is one beautiful truck.. thanks for posting the pictures for us

DJ,

Just had to chime in here. This is one of the sweetest AD's I've seen in a long time. The owner engineered and built factor is a BIG plus in my book. I love the colour, too.

I've ALWAYS had a soft spot in my heart for this style of truck and hope, ONE DAY, to be able to afford to own/build one for myself.

How did you find the late-model IFS swap turned out for you? Did you narrow the crossmember and center link? I've read LOTS of nightmares about this swap over the 'Net and seen several pictures that make it look, let's say, "less than appealing." Yours looks bang on the money.

Thanks for sharing the pics of all your hard work with us. I GREATLY appreciate it![P

Regards,
Shea:)

Sorry, i've had some killer stomach flu for the last 4 days. I didn't get photos of the hood.

Shea,
I took lost of photos of the frame build, but lost them when a hard drive crashed. So I'll try to describe the front end.
I went to a pick-a-part with a tape measure and found the the '80 vintage Chevy's just unbolted from the frame and they measured just 3/4 inch wider than the '53 frame. i used spacers to keep the frme the stock width.

I ended up buying a '78 rolling chassis, with leaf springs. I got the fuel tank, booster, master and a junk diff -none of which I used. The master was shot, it was cheaper to buy a new one. The fule tank needed modification and was rusted. I wanted the brakes under the frame - the 10" Chevy booster wouldn't fit, so I went hydro boost. I did use the power steering box -but got it rebuilt. Mostly, I got the frame to take dimensions from.

Originaly, I wanted to build a truck, not a car with a Pinto front suspension. So, I spent more money for the brake and suspension parts and lots of time to make it fit, than if I would have bought Fat-Man or someone's front suspension package. While it steers and stops well, the ride still needs work. I would do it differently (and cheaper) next time.

Here are some photos of my louvered hood. A friend pulled a really mean trick and gave me this.

Photos 1 and 2 Before Huge warp at the cowl side.
Photo 3 part way through the clean up

Photos 3 and 4 Now.

Problem is, the paint doen't match the truck - paint, reducer, catalyst were all left over from painting the truck. Most likely cause, different technique.
It has aged enough for me to forget how PO'd I was, so I'm going to put it on sometime soon.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC01664.jpg
    DSC01664.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 19
Problem is, the paint doen't match the truck - paint, reducer, catalyst were all left over from painting the truck. Most likely cause, different technique.
It has aged enough for me to forget how PO'd I was, so I'm going to put it on sometime soon.

You mean the color is off or the sheen? Just curious - I'm no painter. If it's sheen, I would think temperature and humidity also play a big part.

So I gotta ask, was that a "fire sale" hood? ;)

All kidding aside, looks to me like it turned out really nice! Should be a super addition to your truck. It's gonna give you a little different look with the flatbed combined with the shaved/peaked/louvered hood. :cool:

Thanks for the info on your build, too! I can never get enough hearing about these trucks.

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back