My first build-1938 GMC pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
truck look great you did a fine job. Wished i could run across a bed like that one :)

I really like this truck alot but to be honest the bed isn't quite right to my eyes, a bit too low or something. I think you should try it without a bed and a nice vintage oval gas tank out back.

Nice lookin truck Zach.

Seeing you stand next to your truck gives me perspective. My Ford is chopped 6" and channeled the same, and I am 6'1".

Also, nice job hidin the spring up front too.

to bonehead about how well i fit inside, i actually have a lot of head room but as far as leg room goes its a little tight, i am just going to have a realatively thin seat back.

My Hats Off To You....i Am Proud

I am starting my 38 build, she has the same cab as yours....i will send ya some pics as i progress....love your truck....i am going for just about the same look and i just want to tell ya what a great job you have done and you take good care of your grampa....unfortunatly some of us do not share that kind of awsome relationship with our grandpa....very special thing you share with him...the truck is just a bonus....wish ya the best and send us some more pics soon.

Hey Zach, that is a fantastic build. I really envy the help and support your gettin from your Gramps. My hat is off to him for that. I wanted to ask you how you set up your steering box and linkage. Some details and a few good pix would really be nice. :D I at the point where I'm looking for ideas for mine right now.

2008_0615box0010.jpg

roddguy, This is Gramps reporting in. The pic is of the steering box in Zacho's GMC. It is a Saginaw box that is the big brother to a Vega box. I forget the model number. I took this one out of a Rambler. It ias bolted to the frame side rail. We welded thick wall tubing through the frame rail so it wouldn't crush when the bolt were tightened. Not visible is a 1/4" thick tab below the frame rail that picks up the lower mounting bolt for the box.

2008_0615box0011.jpg

The box had a solid shaft coming out of it, no splined stub. We shortened the Saginaw shaft and adapted it to a Chevy Geo shaft that had a couple u-joints, to get around the header and into the cab at the right angle and location.

Thanks for the info and great pix. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to go cross steer like this or drag link yet but this does give me some good food for thought. :D

price

how long and how wide was ur frame that you built and how much did it cost you because im building a rat rod and its gonna be 10 1/2 ft long and 3 1/2 ft wide so if you could give me some answers that would be great

Travis

[email protected]

ChAmPiOn91, This is Zacho's grandpa reporting. Z-man got lucky with his frame because I had enough 2" by 4" rectangluar tubing laying around that he didn't have to buy any. I just paid $170.00 for a 21 foot stick of 2" by 4" by .120 wall rectangular tubing for a trailer project.
Bob

how long and how wide was ur frame that you built and how much did it cost you because im building a rat rod and its gonna be 10 1/2 ft long and 3 1/2 ft wide so if you could give me some answers that would be great

Travis

[email protected]

I'll get you some measurements by next weekend on fri. thats when i'm off work.

And to everyone else i should be having a bunch of new pictures up in the next month. I just finished wiring and am now working on final body work. I'm going to get the top looking pretty good but as far as the rest of the body i'm not sure how nice i'm gonna make it after all it is a rat rod. So when all that is done i will take it apart and finish weld the chassis. I also need to finish shortening the driveshaft. Its very close but there is still much work to do. I wish i could work on it everyday but i work mon-thur cutting and drilling stone. So when more visible changes start happening i will def get some pix up here. zach

burnt shirts

Zach has set himself on fire with the angle grinder a few times but so far hasn't with the wirefeed. See hole in shirt for proof of angle grinder fire. The little spark burns from the MIG just let you know you are still alive!

HaaaHaaaaa. I have burnt up two shirts, one was while grinding, felt warm and smelt like dump burning. WOW, shirt on fire! Second was while stick welding on truck tailgate, same sensations! heeheeee. Never too old to be dumb! Yes Zach, you remind me of me when I was a goober (a young goober) at 17 in High Shool in ----- '61. Uhhhh, man, that was a looonnngg time ago. Great job Grandpa and Zach. I have an 18 year old Grandson working with me on our two projects. Some day I gotta figure out how to do a post with pics and all. Great job, good companionship, NICE build. Perley:)

2008_0824box0001.jpg

After many coats of Bondo and many hours of sanding, Zach's top is looking good. After the pic, he applied a couple coats of spot putty to fill sanding scratches and resanded. All work was done by hand, no air tools, because Grandpa is "old school". And, I think you learn better if you put more sweat into the activity. I'm no bodyman so it takes more coats and more sanding for us than for someone that is good at it.

Latest posts

Back