my new project!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im going to go over the randon crazy ideas first before i start throwing them out. no offense to anyone that could possibly make them work far easier on there build over mine, lol. but once i kinda play around with the photo shop then ill post some of the crazier ideas.

as for the rear. im thinking i will just go with one of the universal tri 4-links, that way i can have more the easy of fabbing them in. not really too worried about adjustable setups, for im only really going for one stance, driving and parked, so the setup will be quite basic.

i ran into a couple scenarios. with the old owners doing, well..., a not so fancy job of lining up and meshing the chop. im forced to do the roof filler strip again, but have to widen it so its a cleaner line to weld and mesh. on top of that, they left me with some poor welds, and uneven matching of the door pillars, etc. so i have been grinding and welding in hopes to get the seams to mesh better allowing me the really make it more worthwhile.

with that said, will i need to go about sanding and grinding away the rust all around in order to lay down some flat color? am i able to go with a rust converter paint? im going to patch up most of the bad rust areas, for im looking to not have a full blown just slapped together rat rod, but a clean cab with the rat style inspiration.

very poor job at paint...but i am in a hurry and wanted to give a heads up on the rear frame work process...i took a side pic and painted in where i will be doing my z-d frame...im going on the height of where my c-notch sits now...doing it long enough to help mount the stock length bed sides in order to have a 6ft bed to haul the bike...

forgot to almost post the pic:D

Attachments

• hard.jpg
    hard.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 249
so i did some more work...dont mind the roof...that is in the process of being cut and redone next weekend! :D as you can see from the pic, i circled the huge gap previous owner left, well i welded that and now i just need to finish welding and cleaning up. additionally, i took the sander and wire wheel and cleaned until dark hit, so i got a good 4-6 hours of work in today, slow and steady, but work is steady this point of the year suprisingly, and with having to wait a few months for the garage addition to be built, daylight is my working limit. lol, enjoy the little work i threw together.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 1234.jpg
    1234.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 12345.jpg
    12345.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 140
  • mms_picture6.jpg
    mms_picture6.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 144
Gonna be sweet-- I've done a couple turbo projects.. TT JY 5.0, and an old RaJay wrecker turbo on an SBC-- Learned alot..

keep us informed.. appreciate the pics.

PA41

so i found out some news today...will be getting a fully rebuilt gm 10bolt and z-d back half in return for my entire backhalf now. buddy offered the trade

There is no need to go buy an expensive 4-link kit when you can build one for less than $100. If you have a tape measure, a holesaw and a welder you can do it yourself! It will come out just as good or better than what you can buy! Guaranteed! Just my .02!

yea i bought some bushing backets to make my own trailing arms and gonna cut some brackets for my panhard bar.

i got old donor frame chopped up today and got the new metal cut down to size. in the process of the working and chopping, i believe i proceeded in breaking or badly bruising my tail bone and left forearm(bruised that) along with a nice chunk of skin dug out of my forearm. the incident happened in the act of trying to move the metal rack down the driveway and catching ice:mad:

moving on, i chopped the old frame into 3 pieces im keeping and using the whole front assembly, the rear frame/c-notch set up i traded to my buddy for his fresh rebuilt gm axle and the donor metal for the new frame.

ill snag some pics and post up tomorrow, sorry its been such a drawn out update, but im snaggin overtime at work, which is utterly unheard of this time of year.

WTR...how did you go about building, happen to have pics, maybe give me some better ideas?

possibly some new news as far as drivetrain options...im still looking into something to use, but having some issues. i have a possibly deal going through with a buddy on his tow truck. a 460 w/4spd, have looked into some ole supra drivetrains. not sure if many know about those, inline6 turboed...but still looking for other possible options.

If you are going to do your own 4 link, you might look at Midwest Controls. I think it is http://midwestcontrol.com. They are the best resource for spherical rod ends I have found, and the best price.

There is also a calculator on the web for triangulated four links. Created by a guy named Dan Barcroft. Hard drive crashed since I used it so don't have the web address now, haven't needed it again. It is titled "4 Bar Linkage Calculator v3.0". If you figure out the anti-dive and anti-squat information you are probably a genius. Regardless, lots of good information that might keep you from having to rebuild it all.

Lookin' good, keep at it.

Last edited:
so i acquired/bought a few pieces...bought about 50 bucks worth of gauges...

acquired my gm axle for my back half...

chopped my frame rails to size in anticipation to have it welded up this weekend and have a full frame again...then proceed to work on the rear trailing arms for the axle

Attachments

• axle.jpg
    axle.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 78
  • gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 88
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 98
  • frame2.jpg
    frame2.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 73
gauges are all a bit different...2 different sets of 3 52mm gauges, 3.5" tach, and 3" speedo. they all run black face and orange needle, and hopefully the same color backlight, but an easy fix if not

so i just bought my drivetrain set up...2.5L twin turbo inline 6...let me know what you all think...

Attachments

• !Bf5c-R!!Wk~$(KGrHqEOKjsEryMCPPHIBLDEnEOt5Q~~_35.jpg
    !Bf5c-R!!Wk~$(KGrHqEOKjsEryMCPPHIBLDEnEOt5Q~~_35.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 127
Cool lookin--whats the details on it?

I'm seein a twin OHC? 2500--so not a Toyota 5ME.. Get the gearbox and computer too?

PA41

Looks like it could be a RB 25 Skyline engine that would be sweet my brother and I love the RB series motors. Would be my dream to build a rod with RB series motor.

rb is very close, but no...its actually a 1jzgte motor swap out of the early supra. snagged from japan. was considering the rb swap but for the same power output and easier part access, i went with the early supra swap. twin turbo dohc(?), if i remember correctly, 280 hp, 315 tq. should be fun plus i saved 900 passing on the skyline swap.

i got everything except harness and ecu, but i can snag those for another 200 so no real worries, but this should be a fun motor in a lightly built truck [ddd

Latest posts

Back