my new project!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tacked the frame together...going to finish welding before i put the whole backhalf together with the front subframe. but figured id post some pics of the progress.

Attachments

• mms_picture_1.jpg
    mms_picture_1.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 107
  • mms_picture_2.jpg
    mms_picture_2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 96
  • mms_picture.jpg
    mms_picture.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 107
its a 21" channel. will work perfectly for my idea with the bed and all tanks and suspension, etc.

got the full frame tacked and welded and leveled out...just now need to build the trailing arms to get the rear axle put into the mix

here are a few pics..forgot in the last message

Attachments

• dd.jpg
    dd.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 129
  • ddd.jpg
    ddd.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 125
  • dddd.jpg
    dddd.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 109
so with the accumulated 12" of snow this weekend...GOT NOTHING DONE!
i wanna start working on the filler strip for the roof...but im not exactly sure how to level out the top. in the picture you can see the poor fill job previous owner attempted, and some how got the 2 sides to wanna curve in. :(

ive been trying to search, but im not finding what i wanna see. do i need to do a series of pie cuts in order to get the full roof line to flow, instead of wanting to dip in and the gap. can anyone help me with this, my books are really showing me what i want either.

Attachments

• mms_picture_3.jpg
    mms_picture_3.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 81
went overboard on bracing, but i just went at it with my scrap junk 1x1's. gettin ready to roll onto the firewall and do the complete floor frame. then put onto the frame and make mounting brackets for the body and frame as well as best place my frame crossmembers as well as mount my engine that will be here friday. hope everyone enjoys my power plant, i know i will[ddev

here is the overdone cab bracing, had the scrap so why the h*ll not you know?

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 76
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 290
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 291
also snapped a couple pics of what my door jams are lookin like...passeenger door needs so metal shaping to fix guys old holes and get it tweaked back into place...how should i kinda shift the doors to get a better gap, doesnt need to be perfect, but the driver door has little room, and the passenger is over bearing

1&2 passenger
3&4 driver

Attachments

• dj1.jpg
    dj1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 56
  • dj2.jpg
    dj2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 54
  • dj3.jpg
    dj3.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 60
  • dj4.jpg
    dj4.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 51
have a bit of progress finally. chopped the floor and laying out my frame rails for the nice sturdy 1x1 flooring. going to be great despite how quite ridiculous the chop may look on the edges. pretty rough, but once finally dug into and finished, going to look amazing! plus be a solid body mounting point. rollcage tabbing mount, etc.

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 86
  • framing.jpg
    framing.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 67
done lots of work in the past 2 days, finished building and welding frame brackets, just need to clean all the random tabs and brackets before i clean it and paint. welded in the floor of the cab, and just have to measure and test fit the drrivetrain so i can final weld in the tunnel support and tranny cover. so right now its a large center opening. with both sides braced for seats, but center is open and waiting for drivetrain fitment. once thats done i can build cab mounts and then get that mounted and really sittin pretty.

bought tons of goodies; bags for the rear, brackets, control links/panhard joints etc. bought some cragar soft 8's 15x10's for the rear. fronts need a different bolt patter, so have to wait and order those. but once everything comes in ill have an almost complete rolling chassis. sorry for delays, but needed to post some progress.

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 73
  • frame 2.jpg
    frame 2.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 47
just came across a little treasure find in the backyard. apparently an uncle of mine had left a gm 12bolt out of a car, not the truck truck 12bolt. none the less, was covered by a few years of branches and moss, so it was reserved and sheltered from snow, rain, weather, etc.

Really cool project! This build will bridge barriers between 'tuners' and small truck builders and ratrodders with the turbo toyota install. Just make sure your throttle doesn't stick! (kidding!)

i guess thats a good way to label this, a bridge. im just tired of seeing small block powered builds. so im just having fun. building it for that reason alone, not to follow any traditions. turbo'd motor just makes it funner, and slightly more attractable, more one off. in the end thats the name of the game right? push the envelope.

im in the process of measuring out the motor mounts and trans crossmember so i can finalize the tranny tunnel and get the floor just about braced and ready for skins

i took a bit of time and drop the body onto the frame to get a couple things kinda spaced out. looks like im going to need to drop the back z about 3 inches to get exactly what im after. got the cab floor pic taken and shown how far along im with that, tho its not finished until i drop the engine tranny in and can figure out exactly where the driveshaft will run and how much of the tranny will come into the cab. so right now its just welded up square.

what does everybody thing of the bed positioning? should i lower it some to match the cab or raise it some? gap between cab look good?

Attachments

• sittin.jpg
    sittin.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 97
  • w bed.jpg
    w bed.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 100
  • cab flr.jpg
    cab flr.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 85
have most the rails tacked/welded into place for the main structure of the custom flat bed. the front vertical bars placed next to the "Z" will be the side structure for the crossmember of my custom 3 link set up. the gap in the middle is my notch for the axle. gapped to give half inch on either side of the axle. perfect gap for my top airbag mount to weld to. once my rear tires come in ill mount balance and roll the axle into place to get my rear ride height and mounts tacked into place.

Attachments

• dasd.jpg
    dasd.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 62
  • asdas.jpg
    asdas.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 53
got a couple pics...kinda cold and windy to really work...but here is before and after pics of firewall and my amazing little girl working on getting me some measurements.

Attachments

• mms_picture.jpg
    mms_picture.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 57
  • mms_picture_3.jpg
    mms_picture_3.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 68
  • mms_picture_4.jpg
    mms_picture_4.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 77
  • mms_picture_5.jpg
    mms_picture_5.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 54
couple more braces and some fitting and should be ready for some skins to be layed down.

Attachments

• mms_picture.jpg
    mms_picture.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 37
  • mms_picture_2.jpg
    mms_picture_2.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 34
got a couple pics...kinda cold and windy to really work...but here is before and after pics of firewall and my amazing little girl working on getting me some measurements.

Looks like you have some first class help!! :)

It's looking good. Good luck! :)

Latest posts

Back