my new project!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so got some work done today. got the motor installed, just have to final weld everything and add a pair of support gussets to the motor mount posts and final weld the trans crossmember in. from there ill add additional body bracing behind the crossmember to help sturdy everything.

tho i did run into complications, firewall will have to be dished in about 5" to help clear and give room for everything, tho 5" is generous, for i dont want cramping behind the motor. tomorrow im going to cut down some 1x1 and start the skeleton for the final firewall and floor. the floor was close, tho it just needed a bit of flaring by the feet to fit the trans pan with safe space around. still plenty of foot room hopefully once all is said and done. more pics will come of interior as i complete tomorrow.

Attachments

• 1107101440.jpg
    1107101440.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 1107101440a.jpg
    1107101440a.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 162
i still need to cut out and install some windows to help but light comes via halogen work lamps after the sun goes down. the pics were taken towards the end of the day with no flash, so doesnt really help. hope to get the windows in maybe tomorrow or during this week sometime. been trying to get the motor and such mounted before finishing my little work shop...

got the firewall recess built and half welded in. the cab will need to be removed for all final welding, which could have been achieved today if the damn grinder/cut off tool didnt die :( . so unfortunately it got halted, until i go buy a new grinder. the one lasted me a solid 4 years of abuse. was in the process tho, of installing the floor pieces that trace the trans, when i took a S*** on me, but oh well. got a couple of pics to kinda show the firewall and how it was set back. just get to complete the floors around my feet, then proceed to cut in and finish in the back and driveshaft tunnel.

there once again, somewhat dark pics, so like earthman a tad bit of squinting...SORRY!

as well as one of my P.I.C.(daughter), telling me to get out of her side of the truck(aka driver side), for it wasnt my spot! ive lost my truck before even getting it!

Attachments

• 1108101449.jpg
    1108101449.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 80
  • 1108101450.jpg
    1108101450.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 1108101059.jpg
    1108101059.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 81
truth be told, bought the truck, with a **** poor chop job done on it...id say in the 4-5" range. been in the process of fixing all the hacked portions of the chop. right now im going to plan on fixing the door alignments, and possibly rechop the door window frames to follow the cab some more. going to grab some rear cab corner tin pops to fix the cancer rot, for its leaving me nothing to attach my floor corners onto for sealing purposes.

got some goodies in. grabbed ahold of some harley bullet turn signals. 4 pack for 5.00, all brand new, should look incredible for the match my headlights perfect, tho there chrome.

these are the turn signals(4) i snagged up for dirt cheap...its freezing balls outside, so cant do any work with the cab, bed or anything right now...

Attachments

• 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 16
tho i have a couple questions for the metal gurus!!!...my driver door is almost smashed up with no gap to the front pillar. pass door is fine, i have to fix the metal damage by actual cutting and reforming the corner in. the issue lies with the driver door, how is my best effort for getting the gap more evened out? stock hinges with mods? aftermarket hinges?

Attachments

• w bed.jpg
    w bed.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 63
ok...i need to get new pics to better show the issue that im talking about...so hold tight to those that are trying to help...if anyone lol

have the better posted pics for the door jams to better explain what im looking for as far as help. so hopefully someone can chime in...

also got a pic of what the cab will look like with the motor as far as the recess in the firewall for the motor...final fit give or take 1" at most

pics from 1-5

driver front pillar gap
rear pillar gap
pas front pillar gap
rear pillar gap
engine/cab spacing

Attachments

• 1111101958.jpg
    1111101958.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 41
  • kjhyvnbkb.jpg
    kjhyvnbkb.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 1111101956a.jpg
    1111101956a.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 1111101956.jpg
    1111101956.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 41
  • 1111101955.jpg
    1111101955.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 42
did you try to tweak you hinges back to open up the gap?

it looks like the pass side is farther apart. so you might have to spread the cab and firewall on the driver side to get more clearance. before you get to carried away with the door gaps make sure your door pins are good.

the passenger side has the damage where the metal is kinda rolled in. so it looks bigger, tho should close up fine with some cutting and welding. i havent actually tried messing with the hinges at all to try and fix the gaps, but i could try and make sure the hinges are ok as well as the pins and everything.

Hey those look like the same tail lights I just scooped up. Ebay is a wonderful thing...... Bet if I wasn't on it daily I would have a lot more money...........

i feel that exact same way. these lights are going to look wonderful on my bed. will have a pair on each side for the turn signals(changing out with led bulbs), and leaves my led trailer style lights as my run/stop lights. im happy with the score

been awhile since ive gotten to update some info, due to normal life and weather complications...

anywho, got the floor structure almost fully braced out, just have to finish the back wall framing and back corner floor cabs. but got the tunnel notched out the back, and just waiting on the 1x1 elbows to finish up the trans tunnel bracing, then can hopefully move on to more essential parts...

forgot the pics...my bad...one shows the over all design of each side, ones the initial bracing for the back wall, and the final is the start of the foot board

Attachments

• 1219101229a.jpg
    1219101229a.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 1219101229b.jpg
    1219101229b.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 90
  • mms_picture.jpg
    mms_picture.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 106
due to the off and on extreme cold were havin, work is at a stand still. tho i braved through about 10 deg weather most the day, i outlined the trans tunnel with a wire frame. tomorrow i hope to get some good pics done up with the light. hopefully soon cold dies down and i can hammer away at this bi*** of a project.

well with shorter hours and more time to burn. i have been burning in more finishing welds, and finalizing the bracing for the trans tunnel. i am probably putting in more bracing all around then i need to but oh well.

the trans tunnel is half wire framed right now and the driveshaft tunnel is fully welded in 1x1 bars. just need to tie in the back cab wall bracing into the driveshaft tunnel, then proceed to skin everything.

welded on my body mounts, and proceeded to drilled the 4 mounting points to bolt the body to the frame.

bought some sheet metal today, so once i finish up some more of the final back bracing, ill be able to lay down the sheet metal for the cab floor. hopefully soon i can get some pics for everyone.

not much progress thats really photo worthy, but have gotten some stuff done.

been working on the passenger door, alligning and fixing the large gap that was there, as well as the just fixing some old spots that didnt look right.

started cutting out the sheet metal for the floor and firewall, just havent installed it. monday im grabbing more sheet metal to finish the rest of the bedsides.

tomorrow im going to start mounting the supports for the air compressors as well as the air tank. tho its changed from my original ideas, now i will need to mount the tank over the fuel cell somewhat, tho pics will come tomorrow as i mount it. i did however get the fuel cell in, but did not install the straps to hold it down. ill be mounting the battery to the left and the compressors to the right, and finally the tank somewhat over the cell.

Attachments

• 0128111112.jpg
    0128111112.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 0128111113.jpg
    0128111113.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 0128111113a.jpg
    0128111113a.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 45
as mentioned yesterday, got the air tank platform mounted up, just above the fuel cell. its snug all around but nice and tightly fitted. only thing left is final welding and grinding.

next ill mount compressors and grab a battery for fitting purposes.

also found out ill need to grab a filler neck for the fuel cell and have it run out back in the "tailgate" with a flip down license plate bracket.

Attachments

• 0130111625.jpg
    0130111625.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 0130111626.jpg
    0130111626.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 0130111627.jpg
    0130111627.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 0130111628.jpg
    0130111628.jpg