my new project!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really like the 90 degree bends in the square tubing. That's a nice touch. Did you do that just with heat?

actually i bought the elbows as they are...they work amazing...paid about $3 a piece...ill post where i bought them...

to a point, hopefully the sheet metal will start making me believe in the final product again, along with mounting the compressors and little things in waiting.

as for the elbows, i went through these guys. they work off a call and order to made process. i ordered 6 and paid 30 to door. they work wonderful

www.quickfab.ca

been a little side tracked with weather and new baby, but worked on the motor this week. still waiting for more metal and then the cab floor will get skinned

Attachments

• 0318111851a.jpg
    0318111851a.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 0318111852.jpg
    0318111852.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 65
  • mms_picture.jpg
    mms_picture.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 70
  • mms_picture_2.jpg
    mms_picture_2.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 0318111851.jpg
    0318111851.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 89
yea its been winter forever it seems like. Everytime the sun shines and i plan to get out there and hammer away...BAM, more snow! well finally starting to fully clear up.

this week i should be getting my oil lines all bent up and fitted to the block... question tho; How would you flare or connect the ends to the block and turbo? i bought brass fittings...but not sure if i should just double flare than tighten down? i have 3/16 hardline for the oil feed.

Been awhile since a solid update, but got a decent bit done, as far as i am concerned.

Finally got the cab floors welded in, and proceeded to work my way into and up the trans tunnel. The originally idea had the tunnel more swooping down along the trans, but after some tinkering...i decided to have it kinda plateau as the pics show. With that, it gives a more mountable surface for my gauge pod(s), air switches, etc. The additional panel will be welded on top but have a removable face plate to access the inner contents, plus it cleanly tucks it underneath the dash yet still very accessible and visible.

pics show i kinda snap shot through the stages i added, except for the beginning of mount the top layer. Final welding will be done after all pieces are cut and fitted, including the foot board section.

Attachments

• f4.jpg
    f4.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 37
  • f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 42
  • f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 37
  • f3.jpg
    f3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 35
  • f5.jpg
    f5.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 43
  • f6.jpg
    f6.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 43
  • f7.jpg
    f7.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 43
  • f8.jpg
    f8.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 51
been awhile since i've posted, no internet since moving to the new place, but have gotten some work done

been welding the floor panels in place along with the shocks and x-member for the frame.

also got the tank and compressors fitted for look and adjustments

Attachments

• 0611111535.jpg
    0611111535.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 0605111315a.jpg
    0605111315a.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 65
  • mms_picture_1.jpg
    mms_picture_1.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 0611111536.jpg
    0611111536.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 49
lookin good man.. I am trying to sort out my shock mounts too.. way more trouble than I anticipated.. I dont recall do you have 6 or 8" bags in the rear? I got 8" in the rear of mine.. and I think thats how I have gotten myself into the situation I have.. the shocks need to be so long to have 8+ inches of travel

Your mounts look nice.. good and strong too..

Can you mount the compressors in that orientation? Will they oil properly?

yea sorry i'll get some light on it and get better pics.

Ill double check about the compressors, but no clue...will be kinda upset if i have to move them :(

As for the bags, i believe mine are 6". plenty of travel for what i need. I just ordered shorty shocks that fit in my self mocked travel range. they move nicely, absolutely no binds in the rear [ddev

I have a pair of toxic drop shocks with a large travel range, let me know what your compressed and expanded range is CORPO, unless you already have a pair.

Thanks man...I have a set.. not sure how they are going to work out but they were cheap and rated heavy, I have some concerns with my suspension ending up to soft and having body roll problems...

Im not sure on the compressor thing.. but worth looking into before they burn up.. I just know some compressors only oil properly when in certain orientations....

my compressors are oil-less design; moisture and dust resistant, yada yada.

I emailed the makers and asked if they are allowed to me mounted vertical without interference

thanks bud.

Im actually working on the cab and front end again. Going thru the front cleaning all the unused tabs and such off and refabbing the top airbag brackets.

As for the cab, I found a crazy good idea for fabbing your own suicide hinges so im working on building and installing those while finally finish welding the floor and getting spare cash to buy the last bit of sheet metal for the firewall and trans tunnel.

This weekend ill get everything rolled out in the sun while im working on it and give some type of updates to everyone.

tho i do have a question for you guys.

I have these round tail lights for the running/brake lights, but i'd prefer recessing them into metal pockets in the bed. flush fit and secured more than the rubber condoms that came with it...

Question is, is the easiest method to build the little metal recess light pockets is buy some exhaust tubing large enough and cut to depth and weld flat metal on for backing, or is there a place to purchase online for cheap.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqYOKnUE2ZRS54(fBNyDETbg2w~~0_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqYOKnUE2ZRS54(fBNyDETbg2w~~0_12.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 7
tho i do have a question for you guys.

I have these round tail lights for the running/brake lights, but i'd prefer recessing them into metal pockets in the bed. flush fit and secured more than the rubber condoms that came with it...

Question is, is the easiest method to build the little metal recess light pockets is buy some exhaust tubing large enough and cut to depth and weld flat metal on for backing, or is there a place to purchase online for cheap.

Building them from scrap muffler tubing, or electrical conduit, will be cheaper, especially if you have a muffler or electrical contractor shop nearby that will let you take the scraps that you need. You might need to toss the manager a cold one, but that's gotta be cheaper than buying them/paying for shipping, etc.

almost positive i have access to some left over 2 1/8 tubing or 2 1/4. worst case i use some 2.5 that i have in the garage and split the difference in the hole with the light.

Latest posts

Back