my new project!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok so did some sophisticated paint work for this quick rendering! the black shows the curved bracing for the back plating which will support the back and block in from the axle, as well as give the fuel cell support for strapping tight, indicated by the brown. the bottom will hold a angle iron seat that goes around the cell and act as a cup brace for the bottom. the air ride parts will go in front of the cell. ill have more pics once i start doing those items

Attachments

• tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 43
started building the fuel cell support. still need to design the sides and holding straps, but got a solid start, hopefully the rest of it falls into place.

once done, will move onto the air bag components and mounts...

Attachments

• fc4.jpg
    fc4.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 17
  • fc1.jpg
    fc1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 20
  • fc3.jpg
    fc3.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 23
  • fc2.jpg
    fc2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 18
so have gotten the tank mounted like i want. Just waiting on the compressor brackets to come in and have that set up very soon. still a bit of welding and final touching to do in that whole area. Getting it done bit by bit, and right now working on the bracing plates for the joints on the frame.

Also threw in a pic of the customed barbie mustang of my daughters. A friend and i vinyl wrapped the hood with some snake skin and looks alot like carbon fiber, thought it was quite fun and a bit entertaining.

Attachments

• tn3.jpg
    tn3.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 21
  • th4.jpg
    th4.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 20
  • th5.jpg
    th5.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 32
Making some effort, gettin the brace plates welded in while still waiting on cab.

Attachments

• IMAG0437.jpg
    IMAG0437.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0438.jpg
    IMAG0438.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 22
got the brackets mount and a general idea how the tank and compressors will sit.

Attachments

• tank12.jpg
    tank12.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 17
  • tank23.jpg
    tank23.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 12
not tons of progress as far as pic wise, but been going thru, doin tons of welding. cleaning up the rear end and getting disc brakes installed. adding the gussets, and ordering a few more for extra gusseting. waiting for next pay day to get some expanded metal for the rear area around the fuel cell/air ride components. so hopefully in the next week or 2 should have tons of pic updates for everyone :/

Attachments

• nhjh.jpg
    nhjh.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 20
  • hhn.jpg
    hhn.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 8
  • hhnj.jpg
    hhnj.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 7
  • nhj.jpg
    nhj.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 14
here i think i fixed the image size issue.

Attachments

• weld.jpg
    weld.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 11
  • weld2.jpg
    weld2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 8
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 10
  • compressors.jpg
    compressors.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 9
  • air ride.jpg
    air ride.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 13
So did some more work. Drilled and filled holes on frame to help run air, brake, fuel lines. Finished up some metal work around the tank, compressors, and fuel cell. Reworking the bed to help fit the new scheme in the back this pay day

Attachments

• IMAG0463.jpg
    IMAG0463.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0457.jpg
    IMAG0457.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG0456.jpg
    IMAG0456.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0462.jpg
    IMAG0462.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0459.jpg
    IMAG0459.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 9
a bit more work. some with pics, others not.

nothing crazy to post about but helps keep me up and going to finish. bed frame skeleton done, and mounting done. also got the disc brake kit mocked up.

Attachments

• frame1.jpg
    frame1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 27
  • frame2.jpg
    frame2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 24
  • frame3.jpg
    frame3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 30
  • mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 30
  • dbk.jpg
    dbk.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 29
  • dbk2.jpg
    dbk2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 34
started to get the intake runners in place. this thing should suck in some air for sure.

i built this little template to crush the 2" tube to fit the port shape. i then went ahead and crushed all 8 runners down to size before even starting to fit to flanges and weld. i cut all down to a 7" length runner. i got the 1st one started and tacked in and going to slowly get the rest lined up and then on to the second side. which should be an entertaining challenge in itself, to finish the first side evenly and then move on to the second side and get it to match.

Attachments

• intake3.jpg
    intake3.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 21
  • intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 23
  • intake2.jpg
    intake2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 26
  • intake port.jpg
    intake port.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 23
first pic is my incredibly cheesy but effective port shape template. 2nd pic shows how well the template shaped the runners to fit the flanges; thats without hammering them tightly to the flange walls. 3rd pic shows them all test fitted for visual reference, and finally the last pic shows the actual 1st 2 runners tacked into final placement.

almost forgot. got these corner braces for super cheap. they were actually the most stylish yet the cheapest. i 4 cornered the bed frame with these to help keep the bed square etc. i have a buddy giving me some true knuckles that i will tie in for my actual handles once the new bear claw latches get installed... more updates once they come....slow progress in work, but still progress :eek:

Attachments

• knuckles.jpg
    knuckles.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 20
Looking good, the intake should be pretty kool.
I noticed that you welded the upper link tabs on the rearend to the cast centre section. Everywhere I see someone do this people are saying that the welds won't hold when you weld steel to cast??
Not trying to diss your work, just wondering your thought on it??

If it fails, ill know the answer. Honestly its pretty solid but we will see. I'm no expert and if I need to add some type of support down to the axle tubes I will. Other than that ill hope for the best on initial feel and strength. The intake will be pretty nice I hope but work is hell right now, so once it slows or a day off ill get them close to finished...anyone can chime in about the tabs tho

Work hrs and seeking new job has kept me busy but did get some bit of work done. Started laying the panels for the bed side and gettin them bolt down...as far as finish...still undecided. Will get more updates once the next side gets done and cab comes back later this week.

Attachments

• IMAG0598.jpg
    IMAG0598.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0599.jpg
    IMAG0599.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 18
Finished both bed sides 90% and got the axle area cut out. Stained, coated and frame painted....should look pretty damn good.

Attachments

• IMAG0613.jpg
    IMAG0613.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMAG0614.jpg
    IMAG0614.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMAG0615.jpg
    IMAG0615.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back