Name that rear end

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpectreBoy

Someone who's smarter than me, please tell me what rear end this is and from the numbers can you figure out the ratio?

Numbers on tag.........A S398D
3 4575 7b17

Attachments

• rear 1.JPG
    rear 1.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 45
  • rear 2.JPG
    rear 2.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 39
  • rear 3.JPG
    rear 3.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 33
I'm not very smart but that's an 8.8 inch Ford rear. Found in everything from late model Mustangs to Explorers.

Your Bottom row of numbers seem jumbled a bit but I think it reads that it's out of a mid 80's Ford Ranger with a 3:45 gear ratio.

Last edited:
Thanks GasTrick, I haven't messed with cars for a while, and I didn't think it was a ford cause it wasn't a front loader, see how long I've been out of it? Fixed the tranny leak today, seemed like 3 lugs on the rr were striped out but what it was, it had wheel spacers on it and the studs were turning in those, so I got 2 new spacers on the way, couple more minor things and I'll feel safe to go anywhere in it, but thanks again, Mark.

pretty good axle. But if ya put some decent HP in front of it, i might suggest welding the tubes to the center. Ive seen them spin the tubes before. Thats no fun! :D

Thanks, but I don't think I'll have to worry about spinning those tubes, check out the power plant. :D

Attachments

• DSC00059.JPG
    DSC00059.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 25
don't want to be argumentative...but

according to pics alone i to would guess 8.8 b/c they are so plentiful...but the tag break-down is actually a 3:45 ratio 7.5" rear...the 8.8's lil brother
also found in older rangers, 4 banger 'stangs and the like...seen one once in a bronco 2 with 4:10 limited slip..(posi)

not trying to "upstage" ya' gastrick but thought i'd share what little i know!:eek:

Latest posts

Back