Need Cam Shaft Knowledge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratcrazy

I am searching for a camshaft for my 1964 Chevy 230 CI with a mild thump to it.[dr Nothing hard hitting, just mild with enough sound to talk to let people know it isnt stock. Also want to run stock lifters and springs. [S I dont know what lift or duration to ask for.[S

Need suggestions as to where to search. Already tried Elderbrock, they dont carry one. And our beloved Crane when south.:(

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Larry

Summit Racing has cams for a Chevy 6. Put in new lifter with a new cam!

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...ine-Type/L6/Engine-Size/3-8L-230/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Don can you explain to me about lift and duration. I have no idea what this means except it has something to do with the valves opening and closing. Which would I choose for a good street cam and thats kinda mild.

Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 252/252, Lift .474/.474, Chevy, 194, 230, 250, Kit

Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 268/268, Lift .499/.499, Chevy, 194, 230, 250, Kit

Cam, Lifter, Timing, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 260/260, Lift .489/.489, Chevy, 194, 230, 250

I hate to sound dumb about this but I have no idea. Need your help again.

Thanks Fuzz for the site also but I couldnt find alot there for Chevy motors or maybe I missed it altogether.[S Alot of Ford stuff though[cl

Thanks guys,
Larry

I'm no expert on camshafts. For a stock engine running stock compression I'd go with the mildest grind 253/252 .472/.472" lift.

To pick the right one there considerations to taken to mind. Everything from engine use, rear end selection, transmission, comprassion ratio and on and on and on. There really is no magic formula. Best left for the experts to decide. But I think the biggest mistake a novice engine builder makes is to over-cam an engine. Bigger is not better!

The best bet is to call a cam grinder and let them know what, why, how, and everything else.

Here are some links to some expert advice.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/proper_camshaft_selection/index.html

http://www.aa1car.com/library/camshafts.htm

http://www.amotion.com/tech/camselect.html

This may help:
http://www.compcams.com/Information/CamForm/camform.asp
http://www.compperformancegroupstor...ode=CC&Product_Code=180950&Category_Code=INFO

Thanks alot Don.

I have built engines in the pass but never had to deal with putting anything back in that wasn't stock. So picking the correct cam is a new breed to me.

As far as I know right now everything will stay stock except for the cam but nothing wild, just mild is all I want. I like the sound more than the power. I am going to run a powerglide tranny with a 3.25 Fords 9". Not sure if that tells you anything or not.[S

:pI'm an ol'man ya know!!:D

I have a friend who builds engines for Richard Childress Racing who may be able to also help me select the right cam for this 6 banger. He has already said he would come by when I was ready to crank the engine to see if it needs a rebuild or a good turn up. The engine been setting in my garage for over a year now and I have no idea how long it has set in the fellows garage I bought it from.

LOL... he's in to BIG horsepower.. He's building a 700hp 47 rat now. I'll send you a couple of pix of his ride if interested.

Larry

The mot important thing about camshaft selection is the rpm that the camshaft and you plan on running in. Also do you plan on running the stock exhaust, manifold and carb?

I would call clifford or comp cams (yes they make them for 6 bangers) and talk to one of thier cam guys. They will put you into the proper cam

Sounds like you just want a little noise and aren't too worried about performance. That makes me think of the "Thumpr" cams from CompCams. I think they basically extend the exhaust duration on those. Gives a nice fat rumble without screwing up the idle and MPG.

Sounds like you just want a little noise and aren't too worried about performance. That makes me think of the "Thumpr" cams from CompCams. I think they basically extend the exhaust duration on those. Gives a nice fat rumble without screwing up the idle and MPG.

BINGO!!!!!That exactly what I am looking for sam, Thanks for nailing it.[cl

Next question, which do I ask for????:D

Those Thumper cams have a good following. They are mild enough to be streetable, but sound mean. 6 cylinders with any hot cam sound neat anyway, especially through split manifolds or headers. :D

Don

BINGO!!!!!That exactly what I am looking for sam, Thanks for nailing it.[cl

Next question, which do I ask for????:D

Go to their website. They have a lot of information including some performance calculators. A friend that races locally, calls them about
the cams he wants. He is very pleased with them.
I have picked a cam from their website due to its performance on
the calculator and plan to call them before ordering.

good luck,

Tom at Stovebolt Engines is a great resource. He's also runs Inliners International. I've had him help me on a couple of things.

I'm also a member on "Inliners International". http://www.inliners.org/
Go to their forum they know their 6 cylinders there.

I did as suggested Don and this is his reply about my request:confused:

Larry,
You might consider our Marine Cam but honestly, until you get rid of the powerglide, just leave the cam stock.
Tom
http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/

Not sure what the trans has to do with a cam[S Wasnt the answer I was looking for:confused:

Any suggestions?

Larry

Plus, with only two speeds you need all the torque you can get so it won't fall on it's face between gears. The marine cam he mentioned is designed to have lots of torque and runs out of steam at 4500. But your car will sound like a boat. :D

Don

Plus, with only two speeds you need all the torque you can get so it won't fall on it's face between gears. The marine cam he mentioned is designed to have lots of torque and runs out of steam at 4500. But your car will sound like a boat. :D

Don

Dang it, now I will have to mount a prop on the rearend:D

Well I guess it stays stock:(

Larry

Here is some general information and terms with regard to camshafts for those of you who get confused about these monster torque producing items. I teach auto tech at a local college and the information below came out of my cam notes.

Degrees Of Separation
A camshaft's lobe-separation angle (LSA) is ground into a cam and cannot be changed. Besides increasing or decreasing overlap, LSA has a variety of effects on how and where an engine makes power.

Narrower LSA:

Increased valve overlap
Increased low-rpm torque
Narrower powerband
Reduced idle quality
Increased cranking compression
Decreased piston to valve clearance

Wider LSA:
Reduced valve overlap
Improved torque top-end
Wider powerband
Improved idle quality
Reduced cranking compression
Increased piston to valve clearance

Essentials: AREA UNDER THE CURVE
If you've indulged in any bit of camshaft research or bench racing, chances are you've heard the term "area under the curve." It's the Holy Grail of cam design, but what does it mean? The term itself describes what a valve-lift cycle would look like if plotted on a graph, with time in crank degrees running horizontally and valve lift in thousandths of an inch running vertically. The more quickly the valve opens and dwells in that position, the greater the space from opening to closing, or beneath the curve. The payoff, according to Comp's Godbold, is lots of high-lift duration without low-lift duration, making for better performance at all rpm.

TERMS

Centerlines
The intake centerline is the point of highest lift on the intake lobe, expressed in degrees after top dead center (ATDC). The exhaust centerline is that lobe's highest point of lift, expressed in degrees before top dead center (BTDC). The centerline is used to tie the valve timing to the crankshaft's rotation.

Duration
As lift refers to how far a valve opens, duration refers to how long it stays open. The opening time is expressed in degrees of crankshaft rotation, so a cam spec'd out at 230 degrees duration means the valve is being held open for 230 degrees of crankshaft rotation.
Cam makers usually refer to two types of duration:
* Advertised duration is the number of crankshaft degrees that the cam follower is lifted more than a predetermined amount off of its seat. The SAE standard is 0.006 inch. So advertised duration is the number of crankshaft degrees that the valve is open at least 0.006 inch. Not all manufacturers, however, use the SAE standard.
* Duration at 0.050 inch, on the other hand, measures the movement of the cam follower, in crankshaft degrees, from the point where it is first lifted 0.050 inch off the base circle on the opening side of the lobe to the point where it descends to 0.050 inch off the base circle on the closing side. This industry standard is especially valuable for comparing cams from different makers.

Lifter
A cam lifter, also known as a follower or a tappet, makes direct contact with the cam lobes and follows the contour, or profile, of the cam. We'll discuss this in greater detail later, but there are four types of lifters: hydraulic flat-tappet, solid flat-tappet, mechanical roller-tappet, and hydraulic roller-tappet.

Lobe lift
An eight-cylinder Chevy camshaft features 16 eccentrics, or lobes, that are based on a circle (thus its name, "base circle"). The height of the lobe above this radius constitutes the cam's lobe lift.

Lobe-Separation Angle (LSA)
This measurement indicates the angle, in camshaft degrees, between the maximum lift points on the intake lobe and the exhaust lobe. Lobe separation is usually calculated by adding the intake centerline and the exhaust centerline, then dividing by two. For example, a cam with a 106-degree intake centerline and a 114-degree exhaust centerline has an LSA of 110 degrees [(106 + 114) / 2 = 110].

Overlap
Overlap is the amount of time, measured in crankshaft degrees, that both the intake valve and the exhaust valve are open. This situation happens at the end of the exhaust stroke and the beginning of the intake stroke. Increasing duration or decreasing lobe-separation angle--or doing both--increases overlap. A cam with an exhaust closing point of 4 degrees ATDC and an intake opening point of 8 degrees BTDC has 12 degrees of overlap.

single & dual
* Single pattern: In this type of cam, the intake and exhaust lobe profiles are identical, employing equal amounts of duration and lift. For example, a Comp Cams 270 Magnum (PN 12-211-2) cam has 270 degrees advertised duration, 224 degrees duration at 0.050 inch, and 0.470 inch lift on both the intake and exhaust sides.
* Dual pattern: This type of camshaft has different intake and exhaust profiles. In general, the exhaust lobe will employ more lift and duration to help evacuate exhaust gas from the cylinders. For example, Lunati Voodoo cam (PN 60130) has 261/267 degrees advertised duration (intake/ exhaust), 0.231/0.237 duration at 0.050, and 0.555/0.566 inch lift.

Valve Lift
This measurement refers to the distance, measured in thousandths of an inch, that the valve is lifted off its seat at the cam lobe's highest point. Remember, the cam's rotary motion is converted to linear motion through a lifter, pushrod, and finally a rocker arm. Therefore, valve lift equals lobe lift multiplied by the rocker-arm ratio. For example, if we have a lobe that measures 0.334 inch running a 1.5:1 rocker-arm ratio, 0.334 x 1.5 = 0.501 inch valve lift. Running a 1.6:1 rocker arm creates 0.534 inch valve lift.

Thanks Big Block:D

That's alot of good information on camshafts and lifters. Helps clear up a few questions I had about cams. [cl

Hope you dont mind but I did copy and paste this to my files for future use.

Thanks again,
Larry

Latest posts

Back