need help! trying to re-grease my steering box...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I've got like a '38 Studebaker steering box. It's in great shape I just want to clean it up and re- grease the bearings. I've gotten it all apart except the worm gear/shaft. There is a square bolt head that looks like it might be a set pin or something. Is it necessary to take this out to get to the bearings in the shaft? Does this make sense or do I need to explain better?

Thanks,
KD

I just want to get this apart (or at least get the gear out if it comes out) to clean better.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

Can't tell from the picture. And I have no idea what is proper, but it looks like the key to taking it apart is at the end of the shaft as it comes to the box. But it may have been pressed in.

Try unscrewing the sleeve that is around the steering shaft. It looks like the pinch bolt held that area tight so it should unscrew fairly easily, if it is in fact threaded. I think the up and down clearance on the worm gear is controlled by tightening/loosening that sleeve. After reassembling, you can remove the square head plug and temporarily install a grease zerk so you can pump chassis grease into the box. Normally they have a heavy gear oil in them but I have found the old seals leak but will not leak with chassis grease. The grease doesn't have any ill effect on steering.
By the way, I put a worm & sector box similar to yours (it was from a 30's era Chevy truck) in my International and found it to require lots of arm strength to steer, even with a large steering wheel. I then put a '40 Chev truck box in it and it too was hard to steer. It now has a recirculating ball Ross box in it and it requires little muscle to steer. However, you could be just fine with your set up.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

Yeah, I had troubles getting it out, but once I got that square head out it just seems to be, like you said, a place to pack the grease. It doesn't look like it holds anything. The sleeve is not unscrewing (or I'm just a wuss). I think I may just soak it for a bit and re-grease.

I was going to suggest soaking it and blowing it out with compressed air, but I didn't want all the RRR folks to realize that I am not a meticulous, world class builder/mechanic. Oh, wait, they all know that anyway!
Good luck with your steering box, kelseydum.

If you cant get it apart,Grab a couple of three or four cans of Brake Cleaner,Use the little red straws and just clean it out.Blow it dry and reassemble and regrease and you are done.

Thanks guys, I have this thing looking like new now (well almost new) and it's working great! I might post a thread on this as a tech tip for other new-b's.

Latest posts

Back