Need opinions on engine choice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam f

Trying to plan out an engine for my 52 F1 build.

Here are 3 choices I've come up with. Tell me what you guys think is the best bang for the buck. I plan on spending no more than $600 on an engine. I don't want to have to do a rebuild.

96-99 Chevy Vortec 5.7. 255 HP and 330 ft·lbf TQ. I've driven and few and they seem like a nice powerful motor. Easy to find in junkyards. I would probably put a carb on it. Edlebrock intake. Cam. I could get good gas mileage too.

69-71 Lincoln 460. 365hp 500 something tq. Harder to find. Might need rebuilt. But BIG AND POWERFULL.

Chevy 454. Not sure of years or power.

What do you think? I want to go fast, cheap, and reliable.

I want to go fast, cheap, and reliable.

You can't beat a small block Chevy for that. Others can make more power but at a lot more cost.

Adam,
There are a lot of SBC in cars for a reason. Cheap, good power and mileage especially in a light weight truck and parts are cheap and easy to obtain.

Beercan

All three of them will fit in that engine compartment. That is one nice thing about the F1 they have large engine compartments and it easy to make anything fit.

Myself I would go with the Ford. But then again I'm into fords.

I agree with your guy's logic on the ford in a ford. I think if I can find the right 460 I'll go for it.

I already have a SBC in my '88 Toyota 4Runner.

I've got a ton of time before I'll need the engine running, but if I cant find a 460 in time I'll go with the SBC.

If you aren't worried about gas mileage, expensive rebuilds or a lot weight up front go Big Block.

If you want decent mileage, cheap to rebuild and less weight up front go small block.

Big block

Go with the Ford. I'm building a Karmann Gia with a 429 Ford. It's gonna be a blast to drive. Like has been said, there's no substitute for cubic inches. Good luck with whatever you get.

I would go with the SBC,lightweight,powerfull,cheap to build.If you want big cu.in. I would go with the BBC,lighter then the BBF,cheaper to to build more h.p. then the Ford.But than again I have always been a Chevy man.:D I guess it's all in what you want,go fast or go Ford. LOL

my $0.02...

Ford Straight 6, 300cube/ 4.9L

they made them forever and they're pretty bomb proof

I had a 92 ford truck that had one it went 300,000 miles before we had to get in to it, and it got around 22mpg mixed city/highway

Lots good big blocks, personally the SBC is great, cheap and can be made fast, but its like the plug and play way of doing things anymore. The 460 is big, heavy and makes big torque and would be cool in the F1. 455 olds, buick or pontiacs are cool too, although older now and pricier to rebuild. My fav if you are of the 'no replacement for displacement' team would have to be a 500 inch caddy with a th400, they had like crazy high rear end gears too.
The F1 will haul butt with a big block in it. My buddy that lived down the street when I was growing up had an uncle with a F1. He also had a 6o's buick with a 401 nailhead in it. The buick convertable body got in an accident and he dropped the nailhead into the F1. That was one FUN truck. We'd run to the store for them and it was a total sleeper. Big old 16" tires on stock rims on a white 53 F1 (or F100 or whatever it was). That ole Ford would pick up her skirt and move with that 401 in it.

Regards,

D.

Latest posts

Back